Buyer Beware - Flipped Sportsmobile for Sale

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Damn. She gave it away. Thats too bad. Looks like it has an odometer issue. However Ive seen several clean 7.3 4x4 SMB sell for 35K and 200K miles. Just have to be ready. But IMHO 50K is too much.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
GR8ADV is spot on.

Congratulation on the buyer/seller (whos to say he didnt pay more than 20K to seal a deal) for being in a cash position, making a quick deal and a nice profit going forward. Whats not to like unless you are jealous sitting on the sidelines with no cash and a slow keyboard.

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
I don't really think it's a decent price. It's worth 30-35K yes but not 49K IMHO. But someone in CA will probably pay it, because that market tends to over pay based on other area's in the USA.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
People pay stupid money for these things, but there's no way on earth I'd spend $50K on a 20 yr old van with probably 99,000 miles on it, I dont care who's name is on the badge.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Somebody bought something and now they are trying to sell it for more than they paid for it? I may be confused, but isn't that kind of the basis for our whole economic system? Are you just mad you missed out on the deal?

86scotty

Cynic
Be_Co Sportsmobile, I see that you have a 2000 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3, very similar in value to what's being discussed here. What would you sell it for? What did you pay?

There's money to be made on these things. No one can deny. I'm not a flipper. I'm honestly curious and I'm NOT the one who bought and is selling this van. Anyone who has one of these right now and ISN'T profiting by selling it is more suspect in my mind than those who are, unless of course you're just mad because you overpaid for a Sportsmobile and are mad that someone else got a sweet deal, no matter their future plans.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Somebody bought something and now they are trying to sell it for more than they paid for it? I may be confused, but isn't that kind of the basis for our whole economic system? Are you just mad you missed out on the deal?

People automatically assume the previous owner got ripped off. If you read the thread that Be_CoSportsmobile provided, you'll see that the lady lost her husband and bought something different to better accommodate her and her animals. She enjoyed her time with the SMB and has moved on. All parties win in this case.

I have no problem with people reselling things for profit. That van is awesome someone will be stoked. In my opinion its not priced competitively at $49k, I would say it is a $30k van outside of CA and a $35k van in CA. That is just my $0.02, and yes I understand supply and demand, the price is what someone will pay for it.

That being said, if I am like any other van enthusiasts and juggle both life finances and van finances then knowingly over-paying for a van (supply and demand, I get it) and knowing that I am handing over +$30k to someone that bought to flip just weeks ago changes my perspective on the purchase. Kind of like your best friend dating your ex-girlfriend. Sure its, OK, but is it cool, no its not.

The purpose of my post was to provide a little context to any member of the board that would be interested in this van. If nothing else, at least to provide a little negotiation power. If a potential buyer knows the margin is +$25k for the seller, that has to be some wiggle room on sale price.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Kind of like your best friend dating your ex-girlfriend. Sure its, OK, but is it cool, no its not.

The purpose of my post was to provide a little context to any member of the board that would be interested in this van. If nothing else, at least to provide a little negotiation power. If a potential buyer knows the margin is +$25k for the seller, that has to be some wiggle room on sale price.

Well I am not sure I understand the X GF problem either. Oh well.
I mistook your buyer beware and Flipper Alert in GIANT letters as some sort of warning. But now that I see it was just a simple 'hey btw" I guess I misspoke. My bad.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
I don't get the flipper alert thing. The value of an item is set on the agreement in the transfer price between the seller and buyer. The normal procedure since the dawn of time. Big deal if the current seller got the vehicle for a great price. Geez

Kind of like your best friend dating your ex-girlfriend. Sure its, OK, but is it cool, no its not. - Ha this is funny and I don't even remotely see the comparison in this situation.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
I emailed the seller asking for current mileage based on GPS. No word yet...flipping and making some money is ok but this guy is greedy.

BobbyJones

Observer
Having internet ADD, I thought this was a "rolled" sportsmobile, clicked through to the pics and thought they did a heck of good job repairing it.

What a let down. Much ado about nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles