Buyer Beware - Flipped Sportsmobile for Sale

I suspect the OP tried to buy it and missed the deal. I was trying to buy a Jeep or Toyota (Cruiser or T4R) on Craigslist and finally gave up after 4 or 5 misses. I learned, trying to buy one from the flipper who bought it, there are guys whose sole income comes from setting up alerts. They jump on vehicles within minutes of the posting, pay cash the same day, wait a day or two, then relist for profit. I tried to offer a quick $1000 profit but he wouldn't bite.

I didn't bemoan the process, I tried to compete. Twice I got calls to turn around while on my way to see a vehicle with cash in hand because it had been sold. I am just a little too far outside the market to compete so I just stopped using Craigslist to find a vehicle. It feels air outside the purpose of Craigslist but it's just people who've found a way to earn a living. At some point this overland fad will subside and there will be a lot of vehicles available for those of us who were here before it started.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I suspect the OP tried to buy it and missed the deal. I was trying to buy a Jeep or Toyota (Cruiser or T4R) on Craigslist and finally gave up after 4 or 5 misses. I learned, trying to buy one from the flipper who bought it, there are guys whose sole income comes from setting up alerts. They jump on vehicles within minutes of the posting, pay cash the same day, wait a day or two, then relist for profit. I tried to offer a quick $1000 profit but he wouldn't bite.

I didn't bemoan the process, I tried to compete. Twice I got calls to turn around while on my way to see a vehicle with cash in hand because it had been sold. I am just a little too far outside the market to compete so I just stopped using Craigslist to find a vehicle. It feels air outside the purpose of Craigslist but it's just people who've found a way to earn a living. At some point this overland fad will subside and there will be a lot of vehicles available for those of us who were here before it started.

Most states have a max limit of personal vehicles you can sell in a year as a private owner. Once you exceed that limit your required to have a dealer license. These illegal dealers are also typically selling roll back ODO cars and totaled / cleaned title cars and flood cars especially in CA.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I greatly appreciate and applaud the efforts of forum members sharing pricing history with us, as it gives buyers accurate info to help a potential buyer try to bargain down the seller's price.

Knowledge is power.

And knowing a rig is being flipped can also be a head's up to us buyers that the owner has zero personal knowledge of the actual functionality of the rig, or of its maintenance history, and has probably done absolutely nothing at all to get the rig ready for re-sale....other than spray some shiny, wet substance on the tires and dash.

Flippers who are illegal dealers aren't behaving ethically and should not be supported.

But I also agree that there are (or should be) reasonable limits to how we share and discuss these issues here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier