2017 F150 Exploration/Tow Build

D45

Explorer
How much is in the budget for new front and rear shocks?

Stock OE replacements size, 2.0s or 2.5s, rezzy, single tube, etc........ will depend on your budget

LWD601

Personally I'd say go with fox shocks with the external adjusters on them. Then spend the time dialing them in to how you want it to ride. Coming from the desert world of prerunning and baja, long travel kits on a daily get old fast. Don't get me wrong, flying down dirt at 80+ mph is its whole own world of fun, but on pavement constantly having to steer to go in a straight line isn't. throw some good fox shock (or Kings) on the rear with a set of national springs packs built for your truck and you'll be golden.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Thanks guys, and I agree. This truck won't be a prerunner running Baja style courses. I just need a setup where I can comfortably go about 40-50mph without losing teeth in the process...

So first off, forgive my possible dumb questions... I come primarily from the world of track mustangs, with shocks and spring set ups like MCS/JRZ shocks and 700lb/inch Swift springs etc etc. I don't have the first clue on truck stuff, other than the same ideas would likely apply...

So something like this is what i'm drooling over:

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/25...M-Performance-Series-2-5-Front-Coilovers.html

BUT, is there a dramatic difference in the performance of that, over this: (in example...)

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/985-02-015-2-2014-F150-4WD-FOX-2-0-Front-Adjustable-Coilovers.html

LWD601

If you are planning on pushing that suspension all day long, then yes having the reservoirs are worth the money. If you're running back roads on the weekends to get to that fishin hole or a somewhere to unload side x side i dont really think you would need to worry about shock fade or the need of rezzy's other than they just look bad ***. I've run fox's on a few trucks and only bent one tryin to run the everyman challenge at KOH.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
If you are planning on pushing that suspension all day long, then yes having the reservoirs are worth the money. If you're running back roads on the weekends to get to that fishin hole or a somewhere to unload side x side i dont really think you would need to worry about shock fade or the need of rezzy's other than they just look bad ***. I've run fox's on a few trucks and only bent one tryin to run the everyman challenge at KOH.

Usually the truck just hauls the toys up to drop points, and I use it for exploring new trails and areas... Right now i'm using it like a s x s as ORV are banned due to the worst wildfire season in a LONG time, but on hwy vehicles are allowed. I guess that's why it's driving me more nuts than usual.

So between a 2.0 no remote reservoir fox shock, and a 2.5 w/ remote reservoir, then only big difference is the resistance to fade?

If so, that brings the next question... Should I go with a Fox coilover, or would just a good shock (say a Bilstein or a fox if I can find them seperately (seems like they only come as a coilover...?) may make more sense?

LWD601

On my truck I'd go with the fox coilovers. They're rebuild able, revalvable, and in my opinion better constructed

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Usually the truck just hauls the toys up to drop points, and I use it for exploring new trails and areas... Right now i'm using it like a s x s as ORV are banned due to the worst wildfire season in a LONG time, but on hwy vehicles are allowed. I guess that's why it's driving me more nuts than usual.

So between a 2.0 no remote reservoir fox shock, and a 2.5 w/ remote reservoir, then only big difference is the resistance to fade?

If so, that brings the next question... Should I go with a Fox coilover, or would just a good shock (say a Bilstein or a fox if I can find them seperately (seems like they only come as a coilover...?) may make more sense?

No. Fade resistance is not the only difference between those two.

Larger shock bodies allow for more shim and piston surface area. Allowing for more "range" in the shock valving. Meaning it'll be smoother over more varying terrain.

Get the biggest shock you can afford. I had 4.0s on my diesel daily driver best ride of any truck I've owned.

I wouldn't buy compression adjusters. I have them and never use them.

Also, to the guy saying his long travel wanders all over the road, something's wrong there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LWD601

No. Fade resistance is not the only difference between those two.

Larger shock bodies allow for more shim and piston surface area. Allowing for more "range" in the shock valving. Meaning it'll be smoother over more varying terrain.

Get the biggest shock you can afford. I had 4.0s on my diesel daily driver best ride of any truck I've owned.

I wouldn't buy compression adjusters. I have them and never use them.

Also, to the guy saying his long travel wanders all over the road, something's wrong there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for correcting me, I didn't know that about the size of the shock making that kind of difference. Also the truck that had long travel on it was a single cab short bed ranger. Possible that could have led to having to constantly correct. The truck had gnarly bad bump steer

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I may have missed it, and apologize if this has already been posted, but it bears repeating.
Best mod for washboard is lowering tire pressure. I'd drop tire pressure to about 20 psi front and rear, and see how it feels for stability.
If you have the bed loaded, you'll need to be more than that, otherwise it will tear up the sidewalls right above the bead (bad internal damage, and a nasty blowout will ensue).
But you may still be able to get down to the low 30-ish pound rating.
It's free, and easy to try.

Beautiful truck! :beer:

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Thanks for the kind words and advice, guys!

On another note, I ordered the start of my aux lighting, a 25.5" NightRider LED bar. It's way, way overbuilt for use on a half ton, but whatever! It's the brand that the majority of heavy equipment and logging guys use on their equipment and hauling trucks up here. I first saw one on a buddy's skidder, and and they take a LOT of abuse. 10,000 Lumens.

http://www.nightriderleds.com/bars/nlp/nlp255/nlpbar.html

And some pics stolen from their instagram;

21369532_1721446337918415_2496767978630874641_n.jpg

21192915_1713123528750696_4822823697872752274_n.jpg

20841057_1937301563177552_4768842643630651442_n.jpg

Big50

Adventurer
Awesome build...love the new 2017 F150's. The EB really rips with the 10 speed.

Just replied to your PM...sorry you've had trouble reaching us. Things have been hectic.

Anyhow, I personally would choose the bigger shocks with the resi's unless you're 100% sure you won't want them down the road. Last thing you want to do is buy something twice.

I just traded in my 2017 this weekend for a 250 and swapped out my Icon 2.5's with cdcv adjusters with the stockers. Selling them for $700 if you're interested...only have 2,000ish miles. They go for $1300 new. I went with the cdc adjusters for the rear so I could firm them up when towing. Like Trophycummins said not really needed for the front.

Let me know if you're interested...I can get you 20% off a set of the matching fronts as well.

no-pistons

Adventurer
For your intended purpose I would go with the Bilstein 6112.

I personally wouldn't trust aluminum bodied coilovers (Fox 2.0)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles