2017 F150 Exploration/Tow Build

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Hey guys,

So the purpose of this truck is as a daily driver, as well as a support/exploration/tow vehicle for the other toys, (Side x Side, quad, and SeaDoo's). I need a truck that I can scout trails for the toys, haul a quad and side by side at the same time, and still tow the SeaDoo's, and occasional heavier ~8000lb trailer.

I went with a 2017 F150, 302A XLT, supercab, 6.5' box with the 3.5 ecoboost and 10 speed transmission. 375hp and 470ft/lbs (@ 2500rpm). I also opted for the FX4 package (Locking diff, skid plates, and offroad descent control- basically offroad cruise control). Nothing on the lots matched what I wanted, so I factory ordered October 3rd, and took Delivery Feb 1

Truck is stock, with the exception of ;

275/70/18 Falken AT3W
18x9 Fuel Maverick wheels
Removed front air dam and trimmed plastics out of the way

Plans:
Bilstein 5100's all the way around with 2.25" front level
35x12.50x18 Grabber X3's (Maybe. TBD on brand)
Pre-runner front bumper
Baja rack

I was hoping to take it on the Expedition X Kootenay Cannonball as it's close ish to me, but nobody is answering their PM's, Emails, or FB messages. So yeah. Lol.

Pics:

Watching it being unloaded off of the truck:

0yUFdVG.jpg

Snow wheeling with about 500km on the truck lol

fGf7v59.jpg

The truck with about 1200lbs in the bed, and towing a side by side on a trailer. Totally stock truck. Very pleased.

M7O6Wh1.jpg

New wheels and tires (see above) Still fighting a balance issue with these.

lBkOC3Y.jpg

mlqbnW7.jpg

What we live for...:

CEqqDYr.jpg

yGHHlf9.jpg

hOxw70O.jpg

Yeah I need to add a small lift kit. TBD

WLheNjL.jpg

Unique truck if I do say so myself!

aK6Ue0c.jpg

D45

Explorer
Nice truck.........aluminum body with a 10 speed trans

Impressive numbers too, I was not aware they bumped the 3.5L to those ratings:
Power: 375 hp @ 5000 rpm
Torque: 470 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm

Hopefully the direct and port injection will solve all the old 3.5L issues and make it a motor it is all hyped up to be

My 2012:
365 horsepower @ 5500 rpm
420lb-ft of torque @ 2500 rpm

20170224_164639_zpsuxllbrux.jpg

20170224_163656_zpszmjjy11j.jpg

20170224_163710_zpslda1x0uy.jpg

20170224_163721_zpsikoiqyim.jpg

20170224_163739_zpsqysagqsx.jpg

Last edited:

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Gorgeous truck! I love those FX4's- In fact, I had a ruby red 2013, and I miss that truck every day, except it was a 5.0l, and an absolute DOG. Love the 3.5 eco. 0-60 (not that it matters, but sure is fun!) in like 5.6 seconds.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
So I spent the day scouting a new trail for the side by side. (Due to extreme, and I mean insane fire danger right now, off road vehicle (quads, s x s, etc) are banned, but on hwy vehicles are allowed) and remembered why I need to upgrade the suspension badly... Lower speed the ride is so teeth rattling bad it's not even funny, and feels like i'm going to destroy the truck. However, at higher speed (~45-55mph) it smoothens out and is quite good actually. That's a bit quicker than I normally like to go on on these trails, but the ride is truly untolerable (and this is coming from a guy that had 500 lb/inch springs on his last DD/track car) even with the "upgraded" FX4 shocks.

Will a set of bilsteins be good enough, or will I really need a set of remote reservoir Fox or King's for this type of washboard/rocky running?

mEkzIRx.jpg

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Oh yeah I saw your build thread- your truck is seriously incredible, but way beyond what I would build.

My whole concern with going with a big long(er) travel shock and spring setup is I still need to carry ~1200lb's in the bed... Is it feasible with a setup like yours, or am I **** out of luck?

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Yeah I don't think i'm going to be doing 50mph down washboard with a 1000lb ATV (as per a proper scale- it's something like 913 pounds dry, and 997 wet) and 200lbs of gear in the bed...

EDIT: And while it IS better at lower speeds, it's still brutally bad. To avoid having the ATV move around like crazy (even properly strapped down) I tend to keep it below about 20mph off road, which means the ride is still horribad.

beachbum2020

Observer
NICE Truck. That blue is really starting to grow on me especially after following D45's build all blacked out contrasting that blue.

Some gnarly ATV'n up your way. Up in altitude going by your pics, absolutely beautiful area to ride you have there. Ever get into any of that famous muskeg you guys have up there? Watched too many of "Ostacruiser" (Canadian YouTube guy) videos. They make the muskeg look like child's plays.....most of the time lol. Got to check out some of his videos if you haven't seen them. Their ATV's bring on a serious drool factor. Of course most of their ATV's give new meaning to modified, nitros and all lol. Mine is built for deep water/mud for my area, lifted but still need to add snorkels as intakes are only chest high in the instrument pod (Can Am XMR). Those mountain trails would bring on a serious pucker factor if I tried with mine being lifted about 8"s and big tires.........and gravity lol. Roll right past you bouncing and flipping down the mountainside lol.

Have fun and mod on brother!

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Oh yeah I saw your build thread- your truck is seriously incredible, but way beyond what I would build.

My whole concern with going with a big long(er) travel shock and spring setup is I still need to carry ~1200lb's in the bed... Is it feasible with a setup like yours, or am I **** out of luck?

You don't need the extra width. Just get an oe replacement uniball upper control arm and some quality shocks. You'll really like it and it won't take much.

You will have no reduction in payload and it will feel better with a load in it. I even have king shocks on my boat trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
Stock shocks are junk and easily overwhelmed and overworked........especially when running 35s

I know mine are shot

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
You don't need the extra width. Just get an oe replacement uniball upper control arm and some quality shocks. You'll really like it and it won't take much.

You will have no reduction in payload and it will feel better with a load in it. I even have king shocks on my boat trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know! I shall start doing the research... Now I would presume go with a quality shock and stock springs? As the springs are obviously what adjusts payload?

King or Fox coilovers and some new upper control arms (go ball joint) will help.

:)

Stock shocks are junk and easily overwhelmed and overworked........especially when running 35s

I know mine are shot

Stockers are so bad it's not even funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles