Revised Frontier coming in 2019

haven

Expedition Leader
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...lant-to-build-next-generation-nissan-frontier

The current Nissan Frontier pickup has been in production since 2005, largely unchanged. Finally, Nissan has plans to change things up. A new Frontier will arrive in a little more than a year. The vehicle will be built in Canton, Mississippi, in the factory that also builds the Nissan Titan pickup.

It remains to be seen how much the new truck resembles the Navara pickup, which Nissan sells everywhere outside USA and Canada. They build a version of the Navara in Mexico. Nissan management has said the new Frontier will not be based on the Navara.

So I expect for USA we'll see a slightly larger Frontier built on a version of the Titan frame, maybe with Cummins 2.8L diesel option.

2019 will offer interesting choices in midsize pickups: new Jeep Scrambler, Ford Ranger, and Nissan Frontier joining Toyota Tacoma (hopefully refreshed by that date), Honda Ridgeline and Chevrolet Colorado. Maybe VW will join the party with the Amorak.

rkj__

Adventurer
That should yield some REALLY low prices on the outgoing Frontier, as the new ones start to hit the lots.

docwatson

Adventurer
Its interesting that all their SUVs are moving to global platform (Rogue:Xtrail, Rogue Sport:Qashqai, Armada:patrol) but the truck will stay separate. I also think introducing the same time as so many other mid size pickups is a bad marketing move.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I read that clip about 5 times. Nowhere did it say anything about a 2019 model change. It barely even hinted at anything really. And where did you ever pull up a 2.8 cummins? That engine only passes emissions for 1999 and prior. A lot of things have changed in emissions in the past 18 years.
The current Frontier is already based on the Titan frame. There is a thing often called the Titan swap, where the Titan control arms bolt right up to a current Frontier. People are even pulling the V8 out of the Titan and bolting it into the current Frontier.
The internet has been filled with "New Frontier coming next year" stories since they moved production from Tennessee to Mississippi back in 2012. That story has been fed out so much over the years and it has never been backed with any real material. A few shots of overseas Nuvara trucks running around, and half of those are Mexican trucks right down to the Mexican license plates that were bought at a Mexican dealer and driven across the border.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What he said ^ not to mention Nissan has two key and badly needed re designs they are missing major market share. Leaf and Frontier are so old they are nearly giving them away to move them. Both redesign hints were big news two+ yrs ago then Nissan went silent. I think Nissan ran into trouble either funding or some other problem batterys and Diesel engine suppliers?

haven

Expedition Leader
That's fair criticism. To my knowledge, the linked press release is the first time Nissan has formally announced that they are indeed working on a replacement for the decade-old Frontier. So that's news.

The model year of introduction is my guess, based on other articles and the introduction of a Nissan Titan half-ton model, using a different frame than the Titan XD. That's the frame Nissan will use under the Frontier.

The diesel engine option is another guess. Nissan has shown a Cummins-powered Frontier on the show circuit since 2014, and uses the Cummins 5.0L diesel in the XD. So a 2.8L four cylinder diesel would be a reasonable option for both the Frontier and Titan half-ton.

So, new Frontier in model year 2019, with diesel option coming soon thereafter. What's your prognostication?

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
They had a few 2.8 diesel test mules running around before they announced the new (diesel) Titan. The Fast Lane Truck I think even drove one for a bit? We'll see if anything comes to fruition with that...

SnowedIn

Observer
I honestly don't have any gripes about the current gen other than mileage, so I'm not going to complain too much about them being slow with a revamp.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I think working on a much more efficient engine would be a seller.
It seems to be the general consensus that the diesel engines today will far outlive the emission components.
I hope Nissan does develop a new concept. Not nearly so much gaudiness as the new Titan XD either.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I honestly don't have any gripes about the current gen other than mileage, so I'm not going to complain too much about them being slow with a revamp.

turning radius and 6x4.5 lug pattern...

I would be really surprised if nissan brings a diesel frontier to market. They built a lot of hype around the XD and it flopped.

https://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-real-numbers-behind-the-truck-wars-of-2017-1791882992

if Nissan doesn't pull out of the US truck market by 2020 I'll be surprised.
Which is a shame.... because the frontier is a FAR superior truck to the taco. At least the 06-15 versions.

Expo portal had a nice write up about the global armada/patrol. I get that the USA will never get a live rear axle armada, but why not throw us a bone and offer " locking rear differential, descent control, or the surface selectable traction control systems of the actual Patrol." Let it compete with the rovers and grand cherokees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles