Front Differential Installation

evomaki

Observer
Guys,

I am trying to install a 4.9 diff into my gen 2.5 to replace the existing 4.27. The old one came out largely with the thud method as it fell the last foot with the help of a pry-bar. On the way out the rear mount cross bar came out with the diff still attached to it. The driver side front mount was removed at the diff and remained attached to the frame. The passenger side mount came out with the diff. I am discovering that re-installation of the new one is a real sumbitch. I tried doing this with the "reverse the removal procedure" and no way will that work. Removed the rear cross member and still will not go in. Too much interference. Diff hits the frame and that driver side mount poking forward gets in the way.

This thing almost needs to come in at an angle and rotate forward, which would be simple if it weighed 80lb less. My aging shoulder can no longer he man this kind of thing, and I am using a jack. Is there a best practices method? How have you all done this before? Should I remove the steering track rod? Should I remove the passenger side shaft out of the extension tube so as to remove the passenger side mount. That is to say, get the thing up there and then attach the passenger side mount to the diff and the frame. And then attach the rear cross member and mount.

Thanks, any help appreciated.

plh

Explorer
They are slipper pigs. I've use the He-Man method twice, and preparing for the 3rd truck. I'm getting older, not really looking forward to this one. Good luck. Might help to have a second person.

evomaki

Observer
Figured it out. Had to have everything off the front diff. No rear cross bar and both front mounts off. Driver side attached to frame but off the diff. Did not remove steering track rod. That plus a floor jack allowed us to angle it in. Once two bolts were in to the diff assembly from the driver side mount you could breath a bit easier, and work on attaching the passenger side mount. It is an unbalanced mass and you must be careful or it slips off the jack. Rear cross bar went in easily enough. Have a couple of tapered drifts as thick as the bolts to help align/hold the thing. Minimum of two capable people are essential. i had one kid on the jack and another supporting the off balance load / rotating the assembly while i put on the mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles