How good are Subarus?

borison

Adventurer
I probably wouldn't rock crawl in my outback, but I've ralleyed forest service roads faster than I would in just about anything else.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
If you're rockcrawling a sub may not be the rig. If you're looking at a rock wondering if it will go underneath, put the tire on that rock and ease over. Hardcore roads are not the sub's baliwick but 85% of the roads we all drive are.

Agreed. But, I'm not talking about hardcore roads. I'm talking about unknown roads. if you are out to explore (meaning that you aren't familiar with today's road), it sucks when you have to turn around and pick another road, just because one large rock is between two trees, and you can't go around it. Or, you have to cross a very deep "burrow pit" to get onto a promising side-road, and the the nose of your shiny new Suby gets stuck in the dirt while traversing it. Then you have to pull over and access the damage. Not ideal.

Trucks and small SUVs are much better at this problem, at the cost of MPG and road manners. Just my opinion.

I plan to use the Suby for reaching trailheads when hiking or backpacking (lots of people do). If you are going to overland (glorified car-camping), then a truck will get far enough away from the crowd to have some privacy. Again, just my opinion. We each do it our own way. :ylsmoke:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I found that 98% of the time the OB happily gets it done, where I decide to turn around when solo isnt to different from when I turn around with the Sequoia. Though the Sequoia is far more more capable no doubt, that and has 4LO to crawl down steep grades or up steep techincal stuff etc.

Having said that I prefer the Subaru OB range, ride, size and road paved or not ability far far more than the Sequoia. Which means the Subaru has seen more dirt trips than the truck. And has done more exploring mainly because of its range and ability to cover more ground in many cases at a faster pace.

My truck sees about 5000miles a yr the subaru does 10,000.

wvtradbow

Observer
I too am a Toyota an Subaru fan,I have an 04 an 08 Tacoma an a 04 an 17 Forester,when my wife decided on a new forester I couldn't bear the thought of getting rid of our 04 with 120000 miles that we bought new in 04.I did get to build up the 04 with a Anderson 2" lift an some new some what aggressive (snow tires),But it's a little unfair to compare a Toyota to Subaru unless your comparing a RAV to a FORESTER an that was our situation,but if price matters the Subaru is a good bit less $$$$..The Subaru is a very capable all wheel drive however they sit lower an they are difficult to build into anything else because tire size is very limited cause of the placement of the shock towers an the angles with the drive train make anything other than the basic 2" lift difficult..The Tacoma builds seem endless if you were looking at a truck, but the gas mileage on Subaru"s are hard to beat not comparable with the Tacoma at all...

Hodaka

Adventurer
I've seen 4” and bigger on a Forester and Outback, and 30” and bigger tires. Yah, it's more work, but it's doable if that's what you're into.
I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure fitting 34” tires to a Taco requires a lot of work, and that's an equivalent size increase.
I currently have a 2” lift and 215/65-16 ATs on my Forester, and am at over 10” clearance at the lowest point. Pretty good, and serves my needs just fine.

HNewman

Between a taco and a forester you are talking two way different vehicles. I have had and old 90s subi and lifting with factory parts is pretty cool and cheap on those. However if a taco is even in the cards for you your talking something much different. My high clearance Subaru was awesome but I dont believe the new ones are quite the same. But when talking about a new vehicle if you even compare a subaru to a tacoma you probably would be happy with the subaru and some basic mods (if they are available like they were for the older models). Save your money and get the Subaru IMHO. They are awesome cars

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
what are the 2016 Subaru Outback Review and Modifications? is rating good?

I've done extensive research on "pimping" my 2016 3.6R Outback. So far, I haven't changed anything with the exception of adding some roof bars and a 7-pin towing setup with trailer brake. By the way, our dealer wouldn't install a 7-pin setup. Had to do it myself.

There are multiple body lifts available up to 2 inches. https://andersondesign-fab.com is reported to be working on a 4 inch lift (which sounds really cool). There is also plenty of information about maximum wheel and tire size on the Interwebs. At least one member on this forum has built custom cabinetry in the rear to accommodate a bed, storage, battery, water, etc. https://www.rallitek.com/990-raised-springs offers suspension upgrades, such as kingsprings, etc. (the owner is not a very helpful or cheery ball of fun).

I can't speak for everyone, but we really like the car. It's nice to know that it can handle pretty much any everyday travel that we do and we feel confident that it will keep running for a couple of hundred thousand miles. We bought the 3.6R on purpose because we pull a 13 foot camper trailer on occasion and wanted some extra HP. The appr. 270 HP dropped us to appr. 26 MPG (from 33 MPH for the 4-banger). We will pay off the Suby and keep it until either we or it dies. But, in regards to this thread, I wish I had bought a new Tacoma instead.

Toting a lot of gear inside the Suby is great. You don't have to worry about it getting wet or stolen. MPG is great when compared with a pickup. Reliability will probably be great (we haven't had a single problem with our 2016 in nearly two years).

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I've done extensive research on "pimping" my 2016 3.6R Outback. So far, I haven't changed anything with the exception of adding some roof bars and a 7-pin towing setup with trailer brake. By the way, our dealer wouldn't install a 7-pin setup. Had to do it myself.

There are multiple body lifts available up to 2 inches. https://andersondesign-fab.com is reported to be working on a 4 inch lift (which sounds really cool). There is also plenty of information about maximum wheel and tire size on the Interwebs. At least one member on this forum has built custom cabinetry in the rear to accommodate a bed, storage, battery, water, etc. https://www.rallitek.com/990-raised-springs offers suspension upgrades, such as kingsprings, etc. (the owner is not a very helpful or cheery ball of fun).

I can't speak for everyone, but we really like the car. It's nice to know that it can handle pretty much any everyday travel that we do and we feel confident that it will keep running for a couple of hundred thousand miles. We bought the 3.6R on purpose because we pull a 13 foot camper trailer on occasion and wanted some extra HP. The appr. 270 HP dropped us to appr. 26 MPG (from 33 MPH for the 4-banger). We will pay off the Suby and keep it until either we or it dies. But, in regards to this thread, I wish I had bought a new Tacoma instead.

Toting a lot of gear inside the Suby is great. You don't have to worry about it getting wet or stolen. MPG is great when compared with a pickup. Reliability will probably be great (we haven't had a single problem with our 2016 in nearly two years).

Oh... and one more thought. I put my James Baroud Space RTT on the Suby for one summer. New Subys handle a roof top tent VERY WELL. The RTT took the MPG to 26 to 25 at 70 MPH. That is very good. This tent weighs about 150 lbs. when loaded with sleeping gear. You will be able to tell that the weight is up there, but it's still a good daily driver with 15o lbs. on the roof.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Ho good are subarus? very good.

I put 50 k on a 2010 outback sport in about a year and a half. Got that car in and out of a lot of hairy places.
Mine was a manual. I had it up over ten K feet more then once and being able to rock the clutch a bit and having that low first gear helped a lot. With that being said. I now own a tacoma. Low range and a bed and the ability to pull a few thousand pounds were something that I needed to have.

However, that little subaru would go a lot of places. The only real weakness was the low pro 17 inch tires it was rocking. I had that truck up in the back country behind park city in winter time and was passing trucks who were chained up in a foot of fresh pow no problems.

Will it do canyon lands ?
yes. Some of it. Been there done that hauld butt down the road out to the maze at 65 MPH

Would I take the subaru down into the maze ? no way.

Clearance is good but you will high center.
Power is good but no low range wikll get you on the steeps.

if you look at the trip reports on this page and others like it the subaru could do 90 percent of what is posted and do it quicker for less fuel and in in a more comfoey ride.

I Ireally like the what if or the worrying point that was made a few posts back. Been there done that. I cant tell you how many times I found my self thinking should I turn around now ?

normally a fee stream crossings later when the rocks got big I would.

for everything else the Subaru was king.

Oh. and hands down, no comparision nothing will touch it in the snow till you get well over ten inches of fresh stuff. stuck to the road like velcrow.

Paddy

Adventurer
I resisted commenting on this because if you can’t say anything nice.... well, heck I’ll chip in if ya really want to know. Most people don’t though, already made a decision about the car before every buying one.

This kind of question in this kind of forum will illicit a lot of Subaru owners and they tend to like their brand. There are some reasons to like them for sure. But, there are also many reasons not to like them. For me, I see them as a awd wagon like any other. Great for day trips to the ski lodge and getting groceries, dropping off kids etc.
not to come off as rude I hope, but bragging about a car going 100k mi before services isn’t really valid anymore. Lots of vehicles do that. Also, people overland in 2wd vans and delivery trucks. You can stuff a Subaru into a lot of places yes, but is this the point? For you maybe. They get better mileage yes, let’s look at why.

Unibody construction. Keeps weight down and production cheap. But, it makes them harder to lift, and transmits road noise into the car a lot more. I prefer a real frame that I can tie trailer hitch and rock rails to and things like this.

True 4wd. Nope. They have some interesting systems but not since the 80’s have they been true 4wd that I know of. I could be wrong here.

My old subies were fwd with a 4wd engage. This meant that it was fwd most days. I doubt they make them like this anymore but I found this to ruin the driving experience. I’m anti fwd though.

Park brake front wheels. Just my preference but I don’t like that. Can’t Brodie around corners and stuff.

Opposed engine design. Kinda neat on paper. In real life it’s a stupid design, difficult to work on and has the smell of burning oil, always.

These complaints are mostly about older Subaru. For a “rig” that does “work” or “overlanding” I can’t see any advantage over a vehicle like a 4 runner, or Suzuki *discaimer: im Suzuki biased. I like a regular rig with a frame, a rear axle, a t case with a lever, and a hand brake on rear wheels. Maybe they don’t make this anymore though. I also hated my Tacoma so maybe I’m just hard to please.

Lastly, I live in Portland and this is GROUND ZERO for Subaru ownership. There are more Subaru here than anywhere in the world I’d guess, save maybe Seattle. What I know of friends who own newer ones is that they are not overly reliable, and they are VERY expensive to repair.

Now, flame on.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I resisted commenting on this because if you can’t say anything nice.... well, heck I’ll chip in if ya really want to know. Most people don’t though, already made a decision about the car before every buying one.

This kind of question in this kind of forum will illicit a lot of Subaru owners and they tend to like their brand. There are some reasons to like them for sure. But, there are also many reasons not to like them. For me, I see them as a awd wagon like any other. Great for day trips to the ski lodge and getting groceries, dropping off kids etc.
not to come off as rude I hope, but bragging about a car going 100k mi before services isn’t really valid anymore. Lots of vehicles do that. Also, people overland in 2wd vans and delivery trucks. You can stuff a Subaru into a lot of places yes, but is this the point? For you maybe. They get better mileage yes, let’s look at why.

Unibody construction. Keeps weight down and production cheap. But, it makes them harder to lift, and transmits road noise into the car a lot more. I prefer a real frame that I can tie trailer hitch and rock rails to and things like this.

True 4wd. Nope. They have some interesting systems but not since the 80’s have they been true 4wd that I know of. I could be wrong here.

My old subies were fwd with a 4wd engage. This meant that it was fwd most days. I doubt they make them like this anymore but I found this to ruin the driving experience. I’m anti fwd though.

Park brake front wheels. Just my preference but I don’t like that. Can’t Brodie around corners and stuff.

Opposed engine design. Kinda neat on paper. In real life it’s a stupid design, difficult to work on and has the smell of burning oil, always.

These complaints are mostly about older Subaru. For a “rig” that does “work” or “overlanding” I can’t see any advantage over a vehicle like a 4 runner, or Suzuki *discaimer: im Suzuki biased. I like a regular rig with a frame, a rear axle, a t case with a lever, and a hand brake on rear wheels. Maybe they don’t make this anymore though. I also hated my Tacoma so maybe I’m just hard to please.

Lastly, I live in Portland and this is GROUND ZERO for Subaru ownership. There are more Subaru here than anywhere in the world I’d guess, save maybe Seattle. What I know of friends who own newer ones is that they are not overly reliable, and they are VERY expensive to repair.

Now, flame on.
Suzuki? Arent those sold in Mexico and South Africa?

Paddy

Adventurer
Well I don't know if we are talking new or used. Yes Suzuki was pulled from us market a couple years ago. Probably stemming from the old smear campaign in the 80's revolving around “roll over” potential. They did sell a lot of them. As far as a small efficient Ute goes they are GREAT. Cheap, simple, plentiful parts and great rigs. He mentions cost so I figured we are not talking new rigs. And yes the Tacoma's are stupid expensive around here. Like, just weirdly expensive. And what I found with mine was that it looked like a truck but really was a car with a plastic bed. If I'm gonna have a truck, I want to treat it like a truck and not have to deal with stupid stuff. I ended up selling it because it wasn't up to the truck duties I was asking of it. Plus, a 4 door wagon does make a better adventure vehicle than a pickup in my opinion. Keep your gear inside and safe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles