How good are Subarus?

Eric_

How's it going everyone! Looking for some advice. I was initially in the market for a 2016 Tacoma. Seems perfect for me. 4X4, rear lockers, nice height and decent mpg. But those things are relatively expensive even if bought used.. and I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

Which brings me to Subaru.. I've seen a good amount of outbacks for pretty good deals (of the current generation). Not as capable as the taco but also much cheaper used, and much better mpg. So I'm wondering how good are they?ne and my gf do a lot of lengthy road trips but lately have been wanting to go past paved roads. Would I able able to do something like Canyon lands and such? I imagine black bear pass is out of the question.

So I'm wondering if I should just keep saving for the taco or if the subi would be more than good enough for me?

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

borison

Adventurer
I don't have any experience with newer Subarus, but mine is a 96 OBW, 2.2, 5mt, 130k, mild lift, skids, General Grabbers, pulls a small trailer with the A/C on through the mountains. It never leaves me stranded and never ceases to amaze me with its off-road capabilities. Surprisingly or not, there is a lot of aftermarket support for them. As long as you understand they're not true 4x4s, they might work for you. To answer your question, "how good are subarus?". Real good.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My friend owns a Subaru dealership. He says due to internet pricing competition he makes little on the sale.
Service-wise nothing particular happens until 100K or so when the usual items start going. He does make money on the used ones with mileage.
He feels they're better than ever albeit loaded with all the lane change/autonomous braking etc. common on the new ones.
A Forester will probably be our next next vehicle if they improve the seats. I'm 6'4" and the seat bottoms are not long enough for me.
On the test drive I was impressed with how quiet,smooth and powerful it was. 33 mpg on the hwy is a huge improvement over our thirsty Honda Pilot.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Road trip machine stick with the higher load capacity Outback. The 2010-2012,'s the cvts are good but a torque converter part issue resulted in some not all having a failed torque converter which many dealers ripped off the customers claiming they needed a new cvt and charging for one when the dealer did a $1000 torgue converter replacement.

The cvt should get a drain fill at 60k its a 20min job and should only get the updated Subaru cvt fluid. Especially to retain the 100,000 mi Subaru cvt coverage. Mine has been great. It really shines in the mountians.

The 2.5 gets it done and has done Black Bear Pass! Though the owner reported power vs high altitude and no low 4x4 gearing made it challenging he figured the 3.6 would have done far better. Everything else the 2.5 does great. Just starts to get weezy and sucking air above 6000ft.

borison

Adventurer
When I first posted I guess I forgot that my wife has a '15 Forester 2.5 Touring, but I don't have much experience with it. I think she gets avg 34 mpg. I may get it in 2 years, but I'm not sure I can give up my '96....and I really like the Forester.

Nessmuk

Regcabguy, I am 6'1", but am long "torsoed" and short legs. I am 63 and like my comforts. My elderly parents have a 2014 Forester and I am in complete agreement about the seats. I believe they made them for children, certainly not adults. Those seat bottoms have no depth at all. I hate driving the thing. What is Subaru thinking?

vicali

Adventurer
We have a 2008 Forester and a 2005 Tacoma. For on road, year round, carry the family, explore a new town the Forester is awesome.
For off road or carrying things and pulling the trailer the Tacoma fits perfect. I daily the truck, and appreciate the Subaru as a safe family wagon were I don't need to worry about my wife and kids in snow.
I have had to turn around in the Forester, has not happened yet in the Tacoma.

akpostal

Adventurer
Subaru backwards is U R A Bus.

My moms 02 Subaru doesnt have enough headroom if you are over 6'. My brother has a Forester or an Outback but it has enough headroom for us.

I'ld take an older Toy in good shape, but for a newer rig Ild take a Subaru. If I had to choose between a Taco or Subaru, Ild take a Subie as long as I can get the headroom.

TripLeader

Explorer
If you want to do the major 4x4 trails in Colorado and the get to everywhere within Canyonlands National Park, you need a true 4x4 vehicle. Subarus are good vehicles but will not do the job unfortunately.

AdvNerd

I put 44000 miles on a 2016 Outback in a year and half. It was a great car. Only thing I did ws but a slightly larger tire (245/65R17) and went to it. It was amazing how well it handled dirt roads. Here in Florida we have a lot of gravel roads with heavy courugations in the National Forests. I took those roads as 40-50 mph with out even a rattle. It was amazing, way better than I was expecting. I also took the car from Florida to Houston 3 times, to Chicago 4 times and once to Minneapolis. It was great on the highway, and even with the bigger tires I would get 29-30 MPG on the highway. Oh, and when offroading in the forests I would get about 25 MPG.

I sold it a few months ago because I was planning on moving to NYC for a year. That changed and I just picked up a 2014 Forester. The Outback is great, but I prefer the seating position in the Forester. I just like SUV's over cars, the upright position is better for my knee that acts up when sitting for long periods. My ideal vehicle would be an Outback with an upright seating position. My eyes are on the new Forester next year or maybe the Ascent in a few years.

Anyway, I think Subarus are much better than they get credit for although the secret has been getting out the past few years. If you really need the extra ground clearance or cargo space, then get the truck. However if you mostly stick to gravel roads or even slightly improved rocky roads or sandy forest roads a Subaru will get you most places you need to go. I looked at geting a Tacoma but the MPG was just going to kill me. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The biggest limiting factor is the factory sized and spec'd tires. Low profile P-rated tires are especially vulnerable off road. That said, I've seen pics online of Outbacks and Crosstreks rocking small 15-16" LT treads. Since most LT tires that small are "C" load range, they're perfect.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I bought a 2016 Outback with the intention of turning it into my camping/exploring rig. I had plans to rebuild the entire rear of the car (drawers, storage, 12V, etc.) like another fellow on the forum did.

Put the RTT on it, went on my first week long trip, then changed my mind. I put the RTT back on the Jeep and started to commit to the Jeep (upgrades, gear, and whatnot).

We love the Suby for winter driving, long road trips, and getting groceries...but in the mountains you will spend a significant amount of time wondering, "am I going to clear that". Or, "crap, did that rock/log bang on the frame, or something important?"

For me it all came down to charging up logging roads I haven't seen before in the Jeep without worrying. Deep puddles and ruts don't usually effect the Jeep. I've taken the Suby into some hairy places and spent a lot of time worrying while doing it. One particular 1-mile stretch of road took about 45 minutes to negotiate with a spotter in an effort to keep from falling into the ruts.

The 2016 Outback is reported to have 8 inches of clearance (IIRC), but it's mostly flat underneath. The Jeep had "8 or 9" inches of clearance when stock, but you can sneak some big rocks under there without hitting anything important. The Suby will have you staring at a rock and saying, "is that 7 inches taller than where my wheels will sit... or 9?"

Suby is pretty awesome for regularly traveled logging roads, snow, and ice and it's a very comfortable ride in my opinion. I wish I had a Taco, but am stuck with the Jeep. So, Suby or Taco? I'd pick Taco.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This long time Subie owner some 330,000 miles in two Subies since 2001. Is thinking the diesel Canyon is a great alternative, very similar seating specs to the OB I currently have, better mileage, better load carrying ability, real 4x4 with option to bump up tire size etc.

Though my Subarus are our Tahoe car of choice over the Land Cruiser and now our Sequoia the Subaru simply crushes them in snow and road trips no doubt about it.

buckwilk

Observer
I bought a 2016 Outback with the intention of turning it into my camping/exploring rig. I had plans to rebuild the entire rear of the car (drawers, storage, 12V, etc.) like another fellow on the forum did.

Put the RTT on it, went on my first week long trip, then changed my mind. I put the RTT back on the Jeep and started to commit to the Jeep (upgrades, gear, and whatnot).

We love the Suby for winter driving, long road trips, and getting groceries...but in the mountains you will spend a significant amount of time wondering, "am I going to clear that". Or, "crap, did that rock/log bang on the frame, or something important?"

For me it all came down to charging up logging roads I haven't seen before in the Jeep without worrying. Deep puddles and ruts don't usually effect the Jeep. I've taken the Suby into some hairy places and spent a lot of time worrying while doing it. One particular 1-mile stretch of road took about 45 minutes to negotiate with a spotter in an effort to keep from falling into the ruts.

The 2016 Outback is reported to have 8 inches of clearance (IIRC), but it's mostly flat underneath. The Jeep had "8 or 9" inches of clearance when stock, but you can sneak some big rocks under there without hitting anything important. The Suby will have you staring at a rock and saying, "is that 7 inches taller than where my wheels will sit... or 9?"

Suby is pretty awesome for regularly traveled logging roads, snow, and ice and it's a very comfortable ride in my opinion. I wish I had a Taco, but am stuck with the Jeep. So, Suby or Taco? I'd pick Taco.

If you're rockcrawling a sub may not be the rig. If you're looking at a rock wondering if it will go underneath, put the tire on that rock and ease over. Hardcore roads are not the sub's baliwick but 85% of the roads we all drive are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles