NPS 300 Crewcab questions

JohnRogers

Observer
I prefer the durability of steel rims, you maybe right about the winch being a Runva although im sure he said warn at the time. I have no issue getting a local engineer to sign off on the wheels the last blue plate he did for me to rerate was only about $300. The speedo recalibrate is about $150 and the flares arent too expensive. The difference in wheels
and suspension cost will more than pay for the extras and the wheel carrier

JohnRogers

Observer
So got an email back from SSA today saying they won't sell me the springs unless they fit them so be that they are in Qld or Vic and I'm in SA that kinda cocks up my plans. What other options do I have other than parabolic?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Is there a specific reason why you want to upgrade your springs now?
I ask, because with the exception of doing a coil conversion, getting the ride nice with leaf springs normally relies on working with the finished weight.
I always recommend that people build their camper first, then do any suspension modifications. You stand a much better chance of getting the ride you want that way.

Bris31

Adventurer
When I was looking for suspension modification for fg649, I found Dobinsons Springs & Suspension would also make them (although I finally went with Carrolls Springs). They seems to have outlet in SA as well (572 North East Road, Holden Hill, 5088). But as SkiFreak mentioned above, leaf suspension modification should be done after camper is built. Workshops would then make leaves according to the weight and liking.

JohnRogers

Observer
Only reason Im pushing for a spring set is one spring has a broken leaf and i figured seeing as my truck has a 4ton tare and the Camper is 500kg loaded i was fairly safe but i guess that I will just build it and plan the first trip to be via one of the spring builders that way it'll be perfect.

JohnRogers

Observer
Having built several highly modified 4x4's I just assumed that the options would be available but I am realising that Trucks are more of a bespoke type of project, hence the high prices of mods.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
...that way it'll be perfect.

Just remember John, we are still talking about a truck here.
It is definitely possible to make the ride better than the standard setup (which is atrocious) but don't expect a Rolls Royce type of ride, no matter what changes you make.
Arguably, the coil conversion on my truck probably gives the best ride possible, but at the end of the day, it's a truck and still feels like one.

I should add that the tyre choice also plays a significant role in ride feel and handling. I have the Toyo M608Z tyres on my truck, which are a pretty hard tyre, no matter what pressure you run them at. Something like a XZL will give you a much softer ride, but with that comes less stability (more of a floating feeling) on the highway. I do not believe that there is a "perfect" setup, as each definitely has its pluses and minuses. You just have to determine what works best for you and what you want to do with YOUR truck.

JohnRogers

Observer
I guess perfect was a poor choice of wording hahaha what i meant was good enough to be tolerable for long trips so the irritating noise from the passenger seat is minimal. I have clocked up about 20000km of the 110000km its done in this exact truck with oem suspension in the cooper basin when it belonged to my old employer so i know how bad it can be, intimately!!!

Last edited:
I spoke with Mr Goanna Tracks about his they didn't come with any approval for fitment to these trucks, he said he wasn't going to spend the $$$ needed, not sure if that's changed but his site still says' fit at own risk' or such words

I believe he now has them approved and currently even filed for E-mark approval for the European market.

Cuddy

Observer
Kym is still waiting on the approval for the nps wheels (in oz) he is hoping it will be soon - the regulators have been speaking with his engineer so he is waiting for someone to stamp the form.
I am picking up a set and getting the ssa suspension fitted next week...going to be an expensive few days😬

Cuddy

Observer
I will probably be 6t plus. I have enclosed the tray, will have my quad bike, a lot of my building tools, camping gear, fridge, 200lt or water etc- we r going around oz for a yr or 2 so if it fits it coming with us! If I get time before I go I would like to check axle weights for peice of mind.

I am picking up a set and getting the ssa suspension fitted next week...going to be an expensive few days😬

Good one Cuddy!

Kym dropped off a set of 6x Rims & Trackmaster tyres at Brisbane airport for me yesterday. It is costing me AUS$ 2,500 in air-freight and customs clearing into Cape Town alone! Going to be an expensive few days this side of the world too!

May your new setup give you thousands of kms of trouble free travel!!

Watching that 6,000kg GVM.

I have enclosed the tray, will have my quad bike, a lot of my building tools, camping gear, fridge, 200lt or water etc- we r going around oz for a yr or 2 so if it fits it coming with us!

PS. Cuddy those kgs add up very quickly as I have just discovered, so watch your weight.

To begin with I thought I had ample load capacity on a 6 ton Fuso but it soon adds up. Before I started modifying it our body shell only weighed 900kg. We've just completed the build and had a dry weigh in for registration of my new truck and the Fuso came in at 5,800kg!

This overlander is not going to be of much use with a payload of only 200kg!

So we are desperately throwing off some of those non-essentials (that cost me so much darn money!!) for a trip back to the weigh bridge this coming week in order to ensure the truck gets at least a 500kg payload whilst still coming in under the 6,000kg GVM.

You live and learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles