Bad gas milage 1995 montero sr

Monteroguy

Alright so i bought my rig stock with 30inch tires, the very best gas milage i got was 16-17mpg on the flattest part of I-5. Everywhere else i was getting 12 or so on a good day, mind you for the few weeks that i tested this i was driving like a grandma. Now i have 305/70r17 (34") and an A.D.D bl. I did cut the muffler off and replace it with a cheap little cherry bomb. Now, my mpg is around 9-10 it sucks cause i drive everyday and its so bad i am almost considering selling it. Any help is appreciated. I am aware that it may just be the way of the game for v6s and big tires haha.

SD_Montero

Observer
It sounds like something isn't right honestly. I have 31s with the 3.0 and get at least 18 mpg combined.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Swank Force One

Adventurer
The best i've ever done on my 98 is 18.2mpg. Usually around 14-15mpg, 33" tires, 2" body lift, flat land driving, and i drive Miss Daisy.

It's just not going to get good gas mileage. If you baseline the truck well, might get another couple mpg out of it.

mtnblue

Observer
I just bought a 95 SR with 31's and the first tank I filled with supreme, and I got 24 mpg (I checked my calc's twice- I couldn't believe it). With plus on the 2nd tank I got 20+ mpg in mountain driving above 6000'.

Monteroguy

Not that much, i might just get a honda civic as a second car haha. But in theory having the larger tires means my cruising rpm is going to be a lot less so if i accelerate slowly up to speed i SHOULD be getting better mpg everywhere.

Monteroguy

Yeah, i was hoping something was wrong so i could fix it and solve the problem haha. My check engine light comes on every once in a while so maybe an o2 is out.

plh

Explorer
But in theory having the larger tires means my cruising rpm is going to be a lot less so if i accelerate slowly up to speed i SHOULD be getting better mpg everywhere.

unless you have moved the engine out of the power band. Plus you are humping around a lot more tire weight, rolling resistance and have raised your rolling brick higher in the air for more air resistance.

Earlron

If so try a speedo calibration

SPEEDO GEAR Dealer parts:
MD705466 - Gear, Speedometer Drive (N=26): For 4.625 gearing and stock (225/235) tires
MD705464 - Gear, Speedometer Drive (N=24): For 4.625 gearing and 31" tires
MD705463 - Gear, Speedometer Drive (N=23): For 4.625 gearing and 32" tires
MD705462 - Gear, Speedometer Drive (N=22): For 4.625 gearing and 33" tires
MD705461 - Gear, Speedometer Drive (N=21): For 4.625 gearing and 35" tires
MF472536 - Spring Pin, Speedometer Drive Gear (3x16mm)
MD701788 - O-ring, Speedometer Drive Gear (10.3mm)
MF520403 - O-ring, Speedometer Drive Gear Casing (35mm)

Swank Force One

Adventurer
The best i've ever done on my 98 is 18.2mpg. Usually around 14-15mpg, 33" tires, 2" body lift, flat land driving, and i drive Miss Daisy.

It's just not going to get good gas mileage. If you baseline the truck well, might get another couple mpg out of it.

Yeah, i was hoping something was wrong so i could fix it and solve the problem haha. My check engine light comes on every once in a while so maybe an o2 is out.

Yep.

Fix your truck.

Then re-evaluate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier