170" 4x4 sprinter off road ability?

nastav

Adventurer
I'm looking for actual user reviews on a 170" sprinter 4x4 off-road.
I'd install van compass skid plates (or similar) right off the bat and likely cooper discovery stt pros in the stock size.

I'm concerned with the wheelbase length in Moab and other places we like to camp dispersed.
I currently drive a jeep rubicon 4door and pull a small trailer to camp.
I'd rather back up a sprinter than a jeep with a trailer.
I wouldn't take the sprinter rock crawling, but also wouldn't shy away from dirt, rocks and drops.

I've owned 144" sprinters in the past, but the shorter wheelbase doesn't offer enough space inside.

gtbensley

Explorer
I dont have any experience with one, but I imagine it would be more of a rough road vehicle instead of a trail vehicle of any sorts. 170" is a pretty long vehicle to be on anything rough.

Theoretician

Adventurer
With that wheelbase and, more importantly, the A/BO/D angles of that thing I'd rate it more as a soft roader than an offroader. Taking it deeper than forest service roads that haven't been graded for a couple of years is probably asking for trouble.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I've seen 170 vans drag the rear on steep driveways etc. Deeper washouts and similar are going to pose a problem, even with good lines. Not much else to be said.

In all reality most high clearance roads will likely be fine. Obviously the length will be a limiting factor, as you can't turn Around on narrow shoulderless roads. The break over angle will be the most common issue assuming you don't do the extended body.

nastav

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback thus far.
Breakover would be primary concern.
I looked at the van compass skids again and I think we'd want something with more coverage; like a belly pan made of aluminum.
I think most places we go we would be fine....I think!
I don't want to lift the van for several reasons.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The unibody construction of the sprinter makes mounting a large belly pan a difficult proposition. The body skirts hang down quite low compared to the "frame" rails.

The fuel tank, axles, and Tcase also are decently low. Air flow for exhuast cooling will need to be managed, as there is lots of sensors on the exhaust for the SCR and DPF...

Personally, if you are on a road where you might risk serious under body damage, I would turn around. The hassle of getting a 170" tall van recovered from a trail are going to be seriously large.

A fuel tank skid plate, and trans/engine plates would be recommended. As a rolled rock is the biggest hazard IMHO. These heavy vans can kick/roll one up, even at low speed, with the right conditions, they could easily hole a trans/fuel tank.

Some body damage won't leave you stranded usually.

A skid plate or guard for the horizontal sections of the driveshaft may be called for. There should be 2? carrier bearing assemblies, and shaft between them would probably be more vulnerable to damage in a lack of break/over angle situation.

The fuel tank and Tcase would still be the lowest items in the mid section of the van I believe. You may find you still really want a lift (if not taller tires) due to the low "absolute" clearance of the front subframe. On deeply rutted roads you may find the engine skid-plate dragging a bit.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I have a 2002 Sprinter 158 and all of the concerns mentioned are true - and I have the bumper/body damage to prove it. One additional issue on the T1's at least is the 158 suffers more from body twisting and subsequent squeaks and rattles after off-roading.

If I was going with one of the current 4x4 sprinters - I would get a 144 and extend the back end with an angled section to preserve the departure angle - this would allow for a bed to be installed in the far rear and additional storage. I'd make a rear lift up hatch type opening for the bed level and access to angled storage from the sides. Would be a lot of work to have it look nice but still less than building a regular box type camper and it could be done without cutting up the actual body if one was creative.

'Sprinter 144 ext.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles