So whose 4Runner rollover in CO is this?

One shot

Observer
The folks at T4R ran this down when the 5th gen came out. Toyota's response was that they had updated the telemetry sensors and the algorithms that manage the SCAB to the point where a kill switch was no longer needed. Meaning, it won't go off unless you roll.

One could argue that some rollovers don't require a deployment, but that's a fine line. I guess they drew the line at putting your truck on its doors.

No Toyotas from 2014 on have the the button.

I thought the objective was to give the operator the option to disable the side curtain during predictable conditions likely to cause an extreme lean or in the event of a slow roll when the airbag would not be needed, again, based on the choice of the operator.
Maybe Toyota improved the algorithm or just decided to take the option away from the driver.
BTW the 2014 FJ still had the button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There was some commentary on a 4Runner site from someone who claimed to have been there when it laid over, so you can take this for whatever it is worth. Supposedly the 4Runner driver suffered a flat tire and rather than drive to a flatter area he elected to change the tire there, he didn't want to damage his TRD Wheel. He jacked the 4Runner up and that was enough to lay it over on it's side. I don't know whether the poster was BSing or serious. It sounds just stupid enough, coupled with the damage pictures, that I could see some truth to it.

I was at Animas Forks eating lunch that day when I saw a white TRD Pro 4Runner was parked also. Later on when I saw the pictures of the rollover I thought it was the same 4Runner, but then I saw the 4Runner on Black Bear had a black hood and the 4Runner I saw at Animas Forks was all white with the hood being white.

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
First time I did Black Bear Pass was about 23 years ago...and have driven it probably 15-20 times since. The approach to the "step" where everyone takes photos, about 300 yards East, has gotten significantly more eroded over the years.

Just this July I ran it in the 4Runner, and it was enough for me to turn off the radio and let my daughter know I couldn't answer any questions in order to concentrate on the trail.

There have been a couple roll overs on that trail this year, and it's been a sore spot for the local sheriff and rescue team. I hope it's not closed in the future.

-H-

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
That is indeed on Black Bear Pass. I never would have thought someone could flop their truck in that spot (I have probably run that trail over a hundred times as I used to drive Jeep Tours out of Ouray and I know the trail well). Although nothing surprises me anymore as there were two trucks that went on their side or lid in spots that it never should have happened during the FJ Summit this year.
I'm guessing that in this instance he was hugging the the uphill side of the trail and was fairly intimidated by the proper line that takes you close to the edge on the driver's side but also lands you on a flat portion of trail really quickly. His line choice was fairly off camber and there is a small hole at the bottom of it for the driver front wheel to fall into.
I think a lot of these trail mishaps come from people buying a pretty capable rig and thinking that they can go wherever they want without the proper seat time. This trail can be driven in a stock 4x4 by a competent driver. The lesson to be learned from all of these mishaps is to learn that driving off-road can be serious. Learn what you are capable of, what your truck is capable of, and grow your off-road experiences as you gain knowledge. But most importantly, always pay attention while you are driving! Most mishaps can be avoided.

Not to mention that stuff can go south real fast. A micro-second of distraction is all it takes.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
So...are there any recommended trainings to teach off road driving? Like the http://www.i4wdta.org/ or something?

They do offer classes and many of the instructors offer videos. The classes are expensive though.
My best recommendation if you are new to the off-roading world or are just looking to grow your skills or are looking for trail buddies and drive a Toyota (even if you don't) get on the old interwebs and find a TLCA (Toyota Landcruiser Association) chapter and reach out to them. The TLCA is all about supporting off-road exploration in a safe, family friendly atmosphere. Although TLCA is a Toyota based organization, most chapters allow outside guests to attend their trail runs. The people involved in these runs have all kinds of trail experience and you can learn a lot. I am sure that there are other manufacturer specific organizations out there as well that are very similar depending on what you drive. Although (being a Toyota owner) I have met many lifelong friends from around the country and gained a ton of knowledge by attending TLCA events.
There are many different events that you can attend spread throughout the country that stand out. Obviously TLCA sponsored events, as well as any Jeepers Jamboree, and what has grown into one of the biggest of them all is the Overland Expo. The expo offers an event on the East and West coast every year and offers up training classes throughout the event, and as a bonus you get to see some really cool rigs while you are there.
Sorry if my past posts on this topic seemed like I pointed fingers and called out the driver of the 4Runner for not knowing what he or she was doing. Stuff can go wrong on the trail to even the most experienced driver. What we do is a great way to recreate. I just want people to realise that this type of thing can happen and encourage people to be as safe as possible while out having fun and seeing cool stuff.

grogie

Like to Camp
There was some commentary on a 4Runner site from someone who claimed to have been there when it laid over, so you can take this for whatever it is worth. Supposedly the 4Runner driver suffered a flat tire and rather than drive to a flatter area he elected to change the tire there, he didn't want to damage his TRD Wheel. He jacked the 4Runner up and that was enough to lay it over on it's side. I don't know whether the poster was BSing or serious. It sounds just stupid enough, coupled with the damage pictures, that I could see some truth to it.

The tires all look fairly aired up and the spare is still in place, plus I don't see any jack, etc., around or under it (although they could have been removed when the picture was taken)?

I'd go with the driver's front tire went into that hole and he was at the wrong angle due to hugging the mountain side. It can happen, and as said, there are a lot worse places on Black Bear to roll, and usually there is a death invovled. Tough thing to go through... and that's some $.

Last edited:
Kinda my original theory, the left front tire dipped into the hole, driver panicked and stood on the brakes, and momentum took it over on it's side. I was just relating what a poster said on a 4Runner forum, grain of salt ya know?

homeguy

Observer
This happened on Imogene Pass last week.
b0ec65245d2a21c9a70ca5c673413571.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Charles R

Adventurer
I also think the tire dipping into a low spot was the final trigger. But the cause could be something as simple as the driver never seeing the dip. (I'm not familiar with the approach to this point)

I never saw this washout...
14330043_1086792648078602_6591501290027473209_n.jpg

It sounds crazy that i would miss it... But it was across a well used trail, and right behind a slight rise...
14390773_1086792671411933_6681868978057495994_n.jpg

In hindsight and in looking at the pics, i can see many clues about its presence. But at the time, from the view of my drivers seat, and the body of the jeep hiding a few things... I was simply treated to a "****** just happened!?!" moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94