So whose 4Runner rollover in CO is this?

Patrollife

Explorer
that spot doesnt took too too bad @:49

my guess is novice driver hit the brakes simular to what you did but had his wheels pointing uphill and worse angle?

In my case, yes, that is exactly what happened. Because this was the first time I had my rig lift a wheel, I hit the brakes while my brother, a more experienced driver and Denver resident, was yelling at me to hit the gas and go. I can understand how more inexperienced drivers can make a mistake similar to me. I just feel bad for the driver in the OP. Sucks for any of us to roll our rig.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
In my case, yes, that is exactly what happened. Because this was the first time I had my rig lift a wheel, I hit the brakes while my brother, a more experienced driver and Denver resident, was yelling at me to hit the gas and go. I can understand how more inexperienced drivers can make a mistake similar to me. I just feel bad for the driver in the OP. Sucks for any of us to roll our rig.

Yeah it sucks...but on a lighter note....i think this one wins the internet for irony. at least in this category

IMG_0057.jpg

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Yeah but that's kind of his catch phrase....no one was hurt, except the FJ.. 20k worth of damage and the insurance paid for it to get fixed.

Patrollife

Explorer
Yeah but that's kind of his catch phrase....no one was hurt, except the FJ.. 20k worth of damage and the insurance paid for it to get fixed.

That's good to know no one was hurt. Ouch on the price tag though. I'm surprised the insurance companies didn't deem the FJ unserviceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
That's good to know no one was hurt. Ouch on the price tag though. I'm surprised the insurance companies didn't deem the FJ unserviceable.

Yeah insurance companies are funny sometimes..gotta love the resale value of the fjc's. i think that was its saving grace.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Second 0:49 shows what I'm talking about...

And this is what I was talking about in earlier posts on this thread. Most newer drivers are afraid of the edge and take the high side because it "feels" safer. As you can see, this isn't always the case. Like I stated in earlier posts, the correct line here is on the driver side closer to the edge. In the video you can see how much room is over there and in reality you almost go around the hole his tire falls into, and there is plenty of room to spare.
I have led a lot of groups over this trail at several different events and I would never take someone down that line for the exact reason shown. Not trying to be an all knowing jerk; but I am trying to say that people need to progress their skills as they learn the capabilities of both themselves and their trucks, before they tackle harder and harder trails.
Did I make some of the same mistakes? Hell yeah I did. Have I scared myself on the trail? Hell yeah I have.
I ran Black Bear for the first time when I was 18 years old and had very little seat time when I did it, but I went with an organized event so I could learn some things. Education, not getting in over your head, and a little help here and there makes for a much more enjoyable and safer time on the trail. Take the proper steps to be safe out there!
Thanks InterFj for posting this video. Hopefully some people can learn from it and realize that things can go wrong,even on a relatively easy trail.

Last edited:

Patrollife

Explorer
And this is what I was talking about in earlier posts on this thread. Most newer drivers are afraid of the edge and take the high side because it "feels" safer. As you can see, this isn't always the case. Like I stated in earlier posts, the correct line here is on the driver side closer to the edge. In the video you can see how much room is over there and in reality you almost go around the hole his tire falls into, and there is plenty of room to spare.
I have led a lot of groups over this trail at several different events and I would never take someone down that line for the exact reason shown. Not trying to be an all knowing jerk; but I am trying to say that people need to progress their skills as they learn the capabilities of both themselves and their trucks, before they tackle harder and harder trails.
Did I make some of the same mistakes? Hell yeah I did. Have I scared myself on the trail? Hell yeah I have.
I ran Black Bear for the first time when I was 18 years old and had very little seat time when I did it, but I went with an organized event so I could learn some things. Education, not getting in over your head, and a little help here and there makes for a much more enjoyable and safer time on the trail. Take the proper steps to be safe out there!

No harm in sharing knowledge. I've definitely progressed since this video, using the many lessons learned throughout the years.

WheelmanKME

How does a competent driver know how much of an angle they can put their truck on before it rolls over?
You can always put your rig on an angle lift
2d5ed3ce4989064aa9637c9e847e4876.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
"How does a competent driver know how much of an angle they can put their truck on before it rolls over"
its one of those things you know when you know you know. you have to learn your truck.

Or you go code brown.

One usually happens before the other.

But also i would ask the 4R guy to check the fluid in his inclometer reservoir.

Clearly @InterFj had topped off before he started the trail.

Thats what these things are for..

IMG_3469.JPG

Or maybe the 4r's dont have these?

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Riiiiiiight.....

Get stuffed. I've been driving off-road since the early 80s. That patch of ground seems easy to me, the line(s) apparent. I'm seriously trying to figure out how people screw it up. Is it a lack of experience and starting on a difficult named trail, or is that patch of terrain more difficult than the photos seem to show.

So run along with your crap-stirring, Mr Armchair quarterback poster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94