"A Long Way Down" - anyone watch it?

J-man

Adventurer
I dont know if anyone has posted it yet, if they did - oops. Anyway, Ewan Mcgregor and his buddy recently finished their london - cape town motorcycle trip and is currently being shown on ch. 250 (direct tv) aka Reality station.
Pretty freakin cool, even tho they had 2 support vehicles to follow them to chek points, they still went thru some really cool places and experienced some cool things. The 2004 expedition trip they took from london to new york going east was awesome to watch too - makes u wonder... gotta get out and just do it.
link to their 2008 journey.. http://www.longwaydown.com/
link to thier 2004 journey.. http://www.longwayround.com/lwr.php

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I'm watching it on Fox Reality. So far it looks pretty good. They're just getting ready to leave Italy.

6Pins

Adventurer
I was a big fan of Long Way Around, and I've been watching this. I'm up to the Kenya part of the journey. I can't watch it anymore with my 6 year old son though, he keeps pausing the show to point out the Land Rovers in each shot.

This one seems a little more rushed, probably because they gave themselves only 90 days to do it. LWA seemed to be much more open ended.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
There were some initial poor reviews for this edition, but personally, I enjoyed it as much as LWR.

The beginning was meh, but by the time their wheels hit Tunisia, the story really picked up and settled down into a great trip I thought.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Have the DVD here on my desk.

IIRC Long way up....Tierra del Fuego to Cali, starts in 2009.

-H-

RHINO

Expedition Leader
watched it when it came out,,,, i thought adding the wife was a bad idea, and i wonder if charlie can ever have a bodily harm free ride anywhere. i thought all the breakdowns on the BMW were a great testimony to get a freakin land cruiser next time.

kcowyo said:
There were some initial poor reviews for this edition, but personally, I enjoyed it as much as LWR.

The beginning was meh, but by the time their wheels hit Tunisia, the story really picked up and settled down into a great trip I thought.

Same feeling here. Jenn and I saw the edited down version in theaters and we enjoyed it very much.

Zorro

Adventurer
Loved Long Way Round, Long Way Down tries too hard. It's not 2 bike guys going around the world, it's 2 celebrities trying to raise awareness for whatever good cause. Kind of a let down.

J-man

Adventurer
Yep, wasnt too impressed with long way down.

Long way round was simply awesome, embodied everything a trip like that should.

Oni

Adventurer
I saw the shortened theatrical version and plan to buy the DVD.

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people at the theater watching it. Maybe because it was Ewan, but still good to see so many people at a positive motorcycling movie.

So far I think LWR was better based on what I saw...but any motorcycle/adventure movie is good in my book. :clapsmile

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Just watching LWD right now. It just doesn't seem like such a self-sufficient trip. Yeah I get it that little tough to pack so many miles' needs on a moto. Part of the allure of watching is seeing the "drama" and struggles play out (I thought there was some genuine ones in LWR).

Alas with 3-4++ support vehicles it just didn't have the same feel to me. It doesn't help that my wife forbade any bike for the next 16 years to put a damper on the vicarious emotions.

bevhelee

I'm just about to finish reading the book, and in January we are setting off to follow them, at SA we intend to catch a boat to Perth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior