Shrockworks Frontier Front Bumper

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey guys, need some input. I have a chance to get a Shrockworks front bumper for a great price. I have always loved the looks of this bumper and when the timing was right I was planning on getting one, but that originally was a ways down the road - until I stumbled across this deal on craigslist. So I have a couple questions I was wondering if you guys could help me out with to determine if I should go for it!

1) This bumper was purchased in 2005 and installed on a 2005 Frontier. Being that I have a 2016, will there be any issues with mounting this? Were there any changes to the mounting hardware after the Fronty got its face lift in 2009? (I do have an e-mail out to Shrockworks also. But you guys always respond quicker)

2) This bumper comes in at roughly 137lbs, with no winch I think. I have no intention of doing any suspension work anytime soon; how do you guys think the weight of this bumper will play into handling? This is my daily driver, so I would like to keep the ride comfortable. For now I only intend on installing the bumper no winch.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide!!

goFWD

I think you'll be okay with mounting as Shrockworks lists all the 2nd Gen Frontier parts as being for 2005-current year models. The frame mounting points should be the same, I'm almost certain that hasn't changed. If you have the two-piece front end, I believe you can simply remove the lower fascia/bumper and bolt on the Shrockworks. On my 2012, the front fascia is one large plastic piece (despite having a seam that makes it look like two pieces to simulate the look of the older design), so for me to install an aftermarket front bumper, I'd have to cut the entire bottom off of my front fascia.

Can't speak to the weight issue as I don't have a replacement front bumper yet (though, I do have the Shrockworks rear bumper for my Frontier; very high quality and a direct bolt-on with no issues). From my research (looking at front bumpers of late), you're going to lose some suspension height in the front when your springs compress under the weight (as I recall, the stock springs are designed for 500 lbs of weight), but I don't know if it will be enough to cause concern. I would recommend looking in to a suspension upgrade. As I understand it, most people run 600-650 lb springs on the Frontier when using an aftermarket bumper (with or without the winch installed).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz