Hatz 1B20X

BaseCamp

Observer
I ended up finding one of these for cheap with very low hours in an auction. These were used in the subaru diesel generators, many different power sprayers and other fun diesel powered equipment. At 1500rpm, I have 2.15hp to play with. As I increase rpms, I can get up to 4.7hp. I am planning on building one of the cheap lawnmower styled 12v generators and permanently mount it in a sound box in my 7.3 e350. I would like to use the brackets and parts from theepicenter.com. I have watched several videos of 2hp horizontal gas engines pushing 70 amp alternators. These engines would need much higher rpms to reach that 2hp. I know this thing is gonna be loud(air cooled diesel) but I only plan on running it during the day to supplement solar charge of the planned oversized lifepo4 battery bank(500 to 1000ah) in my 7.3 e350. I want to run AC at night in warmer climates(we are not very far from baja, rocky point, lake powell, etc). A victron multiplus is my planned controller/charger/inverter for all things electrical. I will install a second alternator on the 7.3 psd that only goes into this victron as well. I guess my main question is, what size alternator can I push with this? Ideally I'd like to keep my rpms on the diesel at 1500, but with a 4/2.5 pulley ratio I have 2400 rpms, so in a power curve I am looking at creating roughly 80 amps on the 100 amp alternator, or 74 amps on a 93 amp alternator, or 52 amps on a 65 amp alternator. As I crank it up I can get the full rating on the alternator, but the lower the rpms the lower the DB's(not sure why i care, its an air cooled diesel hahahaha). I searched for this engine specifically but it has only been mentioned a few times on this forum and was more of an "idea" rather than someone giving it a whirl. I will add pictures and findings as I continue this experiment, but for the time being what does everyone think about the sizing of alternator? Can I push the 93 amp 7294 alternator with this engine? I guess worst case scenario I would just be out $100 if I have to switch over to the 63 amp 7127 alternator, which I am positive will run fine. Thanks in advance!

BaseCamp

Observer
So I just got in contact with the guy at theepicenter.com and he seems to think I should have no problem with the larger alternator and this diesel engine. Looks like I will order the bracket, alternator and other parts up to give it a whirl. I'll post some pics and my findings.

BaseCamp

Observer
Yeah I have seen graphs where the outputs are lower when the alternator has warmed up. Once warmed up it looks as though the alternator could be around 60 amps, which is still enough to supplement solar. I am not sure that the engine could really push a larger alternator though, maybe the 1b30 or 1b40 by hatz could push a bigger alternator. The cool thing about those Victron controllers is I can set it up to auto start the generator when the battery gets down to a certain level, since this diesel motor has an electric start, which would probably end up turning into a crappy alarm clock in the middle of the night hahaha.

BaseCamp

Observer
I know this is seeming like a one sided conversation, but does anyone have anything to say about a cs130 or cs144 alternator on this experiment? Brushless design and much less efficiency losses, maybe i could push a 120amp brushless cs144 with this motor? The 10si and 12si i have read to be a much older design and most people upgrade their classic cars originally equipped with the si series to the cs series as they have the same mounting bolt pattern and are more efficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior