2016 Palomino Backpacker SS-550 Pop-up Truck Camper

ykphil

We (mostly my wife) want to upgrade from our old Nissan Xterra with a rooftop tent, to a light truck camper and a pickup truck. I found a nicely-priced 2016 Palomino Backpacker SS-550 Pop-up Truck Camper that weights roughly 1500 lbs, likely close to 2200 lbs fully loaded. My first choice would be a FWC but they are not only pricey when new but the waiting list for a new one is long, and it is quasi-impossible to find one on the used market in Canada. So the Palomino is my fall-back position especially at the price I can get it.

Does anyone have some experience with this model? We are in Yellowknife where the choice of used and affordable pickup trucks to carry this camper is extremely limited. I would assume a half-ton truck like a Ford F-150, Chevy 1500 or Nissan Titan would be more than sufficient. Considering that we are planning to drive from Yellowknife to South America (take 2: we had to rejig our trip last fall when the engine on our Mitsubishi L400 blew, 2000 km into our trip, so we got the Xterra to get us out of dodge before the snow), which manufacturer would be more suitable once we cross to Central America and beyond?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

sg1

Adventurer
Look at tje payload of the trucks you are considering The only halfton truck with more than 1900 lbs payload I know is the F 150 with the heavy payload package. A Hawk is a lot lighter than the Palomino.
I am currently travelling in S.A. (not with my Hawk) and the roads are sometimes pretty bad. Check whether the Palomino has aluminum or wood frame. If it is wood I would worry about it holding up.
The FWD has many shortcomings and it's design is definitely dated. But their are light and very solid. My Hawk is about 1000 lbs. If all goes as planned I will actually put it up for sale next week in Alberta. Keep an eye on Kijiji.
Stefan

Trikebubble

Adventurer
We were in the same boat a couple months ago. I had a very nicely built Xterra with a RTT that had taken us many places. While it was a great vehicle (and if I ever needed an SUV again, I'd buy another Xterra in a heartbeat) we decided we wanted to change directions a bit. That led me to purchase a 2014 Tundra, and after trying to find a used FWC Hawk for a good 6 months, we finally gave up on that quest and have ordered a new one.
Our Hawk order was just put into the production line, and we've been told we have a few months at least before it will be delivered. I spent a while researching full size trucks (I did not want a 3/4 or 1 ton, and defiantly did not want a diesel) and settled on the Tundra double cab. I've replaced all the suspension with upgraded heavier duty components, added airbags, and new wheels with E rated Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. I've spokne with quite a few folks with FWC's on 1/2 ton trucks and none of them have any issues whatsoever. The 5.7 V8 in the Tundra is a powerhouse, and i'm certain will have no problems hauling the FWC.
I went with the Four Wheel Camper brand specifically for the quality, their reputation, and the purpose built aluminum frame. Any concerns we may have had were dealt with when we met with Gary, the FWC Canadian rep in Vancouver to sit down and decide what specifically to order.

Now this was a serious investment on our part, (with help from a recent inheritance I'll admit), but a sizeable investment nonetheless. My Wife and made some "life goal" type decisions, sold our motorbikes, sold the Xterra, and will be selling our travel trailer...all to execute our long term plans of owning the Four Wheel Camper. Ordering new also allowed us to set it up exactly as we want it, and while the initial cost is not cheap, we plan on owning and using this extensively for the next 15 - 20 years.

In my research of pop up type campers it became apparent that their are two, possibly three legitimate off-road, adventure worthy pop up campers available. The others (like the Palamino) are manufactured like a standard RV, and aren't necessarily built for the off-road or adventure type crowd. This is just my observation from months of searching the internet.

Roger M.

Adventurer
2WD Ford F-150 XL regular cab with an 8 foot box, the V-8 and the payload package can haul 3300 pounds no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles