2016 Trail Tailor 4x4 Camping/Haul Trailer

spressomon

Expedition Leader
SOLD!

Jason Reeves aka Trail Tailor (aka @reevesci on IH8MUD) and I collaborated on the design of this custom one-off trailer build. One of the big design elements that separate this trailer from my former AT Horizon trailer and others like it, is it is built wider and lower with a much lower center of gravity. This trailer, unless driver stupidity plays a HUGE role :D, won't end up on its side or top! Regardless of terrain type, pavement or rugged rough double track, this trailer pulls like it's not there! Gross weight: 975lbs.

I wanted full length "fenders"; we NEVER have enough table space when camping. And the two full length fender-shelves ARE FANTASTIC!!!

All steel construction with a cross-brake'd lid for efficient weight-to-rigidity. Jason sprayed the front, lead edges and bottom with color to match paint Monstaliner. All surfaces, inside, out, suspension components, etc. were sprayed with paint or Monstaliner.

The main box is 4'x6' plus the nose box. The main cargo box lid is designed to be removable by sliding forward the lifting off. All latches are high quality SOUTHCO; no cheap crap here!

A few details:
Suspension: Toyota 60-Series leaf springs, basic shock absorbers (nothing more needed).
Axle & hubs: Dexter 3500lb with electric brakes.
Wheels & tires: 3) Cooper 265/75R16 Discoverer AT3 tires with 3) Toyota OEM 100-Series 16x8 wheels
Spare tire lift: OEM Toyota
Lighting: Recessed rear bumper LED tail/brake/directional lights.
48" wide LED tail/brake/directional light mounted on the rear of the lid for additional visibility.
Waterproof LED high output strip light mounted in the lid of the nose box.
Waterproof LED high output 120º x 42" long covered aluminum light bar mounted on the main cargo box's lid.
"Rock" LED under chassis mounted LED lights.
Full custom Trail Tailor roof rack.
Max Coupler Multi-Axis hitch with anti-rattle clamp
Has a super heavy duty reinforced 3/4" thick 4' x 6' rubber pad for the cargo floor.
Includes three (3) jacks: Nose and two designed to quickly be mounted to the rear frame corners for in-camp leveling. The two leveling jacks store neatly inside the main box.
Track width is the same as my UZJ100 Toyota Landcruiser
Double panel rear tail gate; stainless steel cable & hardware
350psi airlift struts
2" low profile receiver integrated into rear bumper

I am a nut about dust ingress. I used polyurethane sealant on ALL panel seams: Main cargo & nose box. Additionally I installed commercial automotive grade commercial bulb seals on the nose box lid, rear tail gate & double seals on the cargo lid.

I also installed a fine dust filter assembly that equalizes pressure between the inside and outside of the trailer to minimize/eliminate dust being sucked into the trailer's box. Works!

Electrical
As it sits the nose box contains:
1) 200 Amp LiFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery
1) Xantrex PROWatt 2000 watt Sine Wave inverter
1) Victron BlueSolar MPPT 30/100 solar charge controller
1) Victron Bluetooth dongle for wireless control and monitoring of the battery/charge system (iPhone/iPad/Android)
1) BlueSea ACR charging isolator (feeds via dedicated 2AWG with Anderson 175 Powerpole connector
1) BlueSea fuse/distribution panel
1) Custom rocker switch box
2) MinnKota circuit breakers
Everything is fused using high quality wiring, crimped connections, adhesive type shrink at all spades/lugs, etc.
All the butt connectors on this trailer are 3M heat shrink type connectors.
2) Brennan water/dust proof connector housings mounted to the driver's side of the nose box: One is for 110v output from the Xantrex inverter and the other is for solar input to the Victron controller.

$8,500 without electrical components
$10,950 with all nose box electrical components as described above including the 200amp LiFePO4 battery, Xantrex inverter, etc.

More photos here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/12g5g7w91eeyi2h/IMG_9242.JPG?dl=0

IMG_8126 2.jpg
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_1610.jpg
IMG_2134.jpg
IMG_4898 2.jpg
IMG_6804.jpg
IMG_2686.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members