Telescoping vs. Sliding Ladder? Pro and cons? Who makes a good replacement?

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Hello Everyone!

I've been running a CVT Mt. Rainier for the last couple of years, and now that I've added a new suspension to my truck, the ladder is literally coming up a little short; it's the basic, 78"sliding ladder and my cross bars are 83" at the moment. I've been using a home-made ladder extender that consists of 2 2"x4"s screwed together with holes drilled through the side to hammer tent pegs through to keep it from sliding. It works well enough, but I've recently considered seeking a more legitimate fix.

One of my friends commented that the telescoping ladders have some problems associated with them; they seem to jam up with an exposure to sand. However, they're more adjustable and LOOK otherwise more robust. I've never gotten an opportunity to check one out myself, so I'm looking to you guys!

That said, I did manage to break one of the pins that keep the ladder from sliding once. I created a homemade replacement out of some 1\4" rod stock and it works great, but it seems like those pins are pretty fragile. I also don't like the idea of having to remember the extension...if I forget it, I'm hosed.

So what do you guys think? Standard Telescoping Ladder with a proper extension, or a telescoping ladder? If Telescoping, who makes a good one and will it work with my CVT Mt. Rainier? What should I look for?

Dozer Dan

Observer
I have tried both and I'm currently using a sliding. Never going back to telescoping again.
In short, they jam up. They are just so tedious I lost my head.
If you but one it will probably work just fine for a couple of months but it will inevitably start to jam.

Box Rocket

I have tried both and I'm currently using a sliding. Never going back to telescoping again.
In short, they jam up. They are just so tedious I lost my head.
If you but one it will probably work just fine for a couple of months but it will inevitably start to jam.
What brand of telescoping ladder did you have? Not all are created equal.
I have been using Tepui Tents with Telescoping ladders for years now and have never once had one jam up or even get remotely stuck. I live in Utah and camp in the desert with lots of sand most of the time and have never had the sand become an issue with the ladder. Even after a rain when the ladder is a bit wet and sand can stick to wet surfaces, I've never had a problem. I guess everyone has their preference, but I don't like the sliding ladders. They're much more bulky, limited adjustability and can require drilling new holes for the lock pins. Are often too short on taller vehicles and require the purchase of a ladder extension. In my experience the telescoping ladder is a better design.
There are a number of different cheap telescoping ladders out there, I've seen them on Amazon, Ebay etc. As usual, you get what you pay for. If you're interested in giving a Tepui ladder a shot, let me know and I can help you with one. Priced at $113 + shipping.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Over 4 years when I purchased my telescoping ladder I looked at the popular manufactures although Xtend ladder did not have the highest rating side by side it was my choice. Living and traveling in the SW it has seen plenty of dust, sand, and dirt and still does a fine job. If it ever needs replacing I will purchase another XTend ladder.

Attachments

• IMG_20151010_174957.jpg
    IMG_20151010_174957.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I gots the extend 720p and it has been great on dry / dusty and wet / muddy weather...
Telescopic is out of sight out of mind until needed... the sliding ladder has been sitting in the garage for a few years now....

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Hi-jacking this thread a bit.....

What is the weight limit of the telescoping ladders?

I'm a bigger dude (250#) and every time I climb up the skinny little ladder that came with my Autohome Maggi, I fear the ladder might fail.

Thanks,

Nate

Box Rocket

I'm a bigger dude (250#) and every time I climb up the skinny little ladder that came with my Autohome Maggi, I fear the ladder might fail.

Thanks,

Nate
Tepui ones are tested at 300lbs+

Lemsteraak

Adventurer

Thanks,

Nate

Nate, Hummer did some testing of AutoHome's alloy Maggiolina ladder and they came back with a very high number, something like 450 pounds, I don't remember as it was years ago.

This does bring up a good point that maybe I can give some insight. AutoHome tents were originally designed for expedition use, yes I know that is an overused term but they were really crappy for recreational use. The original ladder was a steel telescoping affair that was two piece and and while it had big hooks to hang from the tent, the bottom had just a binder on each side to keep it from sliding. The ladder was designed to sink into the dirt and this would lock it in place. Being made of steel, guys would divide the ladder and use it as a sand ladder under the wheels for traction in emergencies. These ladders would get all bent up but being steel, you would just bend back or weld reinforcements, who cared? The recreational guys do care, so the ladder was redesigned in alloy. Still made so it can be repaired in the field but designed to work on pavement too and be supported from the ground.

What I'm trying to say is that the telescoping ladder is fine. If you are on pavement, then it can be supported from below and use the lock mechanism like a regular ladder. If you are camping in the dirt, use a different technique. Set up the ladder and put it in place without the locks. Then step on the bottom rung and sink the bottom of the legs into the dirt or mud. The bottom of the ladder is now supported by the ground, and the top of the ladder is independently supported by the tent. This only is for the hard shelled tents or whatever you call them. The design of the ladders for the folders is completely different, I can go into that if anyone cares. One ladder doesn't fit all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles