Lr3 aftermarket head unit.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
So my wife dumped soy sauce on her nav screen today and it ran down all over the head unit. It would appear to be dead now. Anyone point me to an aftermarket touch screen head unit for the LR3???

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Crutchfield might have one, but I highly doubt it. I think the head unit is part of the fiber optic CANBUS system integrated into the brains of the LR3. Best bet is junk yard swap, and some starbucks gift cards to your local LR service mate with a Textbook computer or whatever they call the software interface diagnostic system these days to reprogram it to work with your VIN.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Strange coincidence: I stumbled over this a couple of days ago. http://www.carnaviplayer.com/land-rover-discovery-3-aftermarket-navigation-head-unit-p-915
I know nobody that has purchased this. No idea on the company, quality, etc. Going aftermarket can have some advantages in that you can sometimes run newer SW - these guys offer apple car-play for instance. I am running an Android unit in my Porsche which allows all sorts of apps (lap-timer and such). But generally, I'm for sticking to OEM. As nwoods said, used parts can be a good alternative. No VIN coding necessary.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
That's interesting. I may just pull the unit out of my car and put it in my wife's and let who ever buys mine worry about fixing it.

Ray_G

Explorer
Strange coincidence: I stumbled over this a couple of days ago. http://www.carnaviplayer.com/land-rover-discovery-3-aftermarket-navigation-head-unit-p-915
I know nobody that has purchased this. No idea on the company, quality, etc. Going aftermarket can have some advantages in that you can sometimes run newer SW - these guys offer apple car-play for instance. I am running an Android unit in my Porsche which allows all sorts of apps (lap-timer and such). But generally, I'm for sticking to OEM. As nwoods said, used parts can be a good alternative. No VIN coding necessary.

I wonder how that interfaces with the OE system. Wasn't clear in my quick scan.

jkatka

I think there is a difference between the logic and the logic7 HK audio system in the HSE and SE. It may just be the amplifier but I would check before going through all the work to switch them out.

rlynch356

Defyota
performance rovers in charlotte has a few (shop?) trucks with aftermarket head units - apple car play and stuff..... you might call them.
also
a buddy just had his swapped with a take out unit (it is an HSE with NAV) and i don't think its coded to the VIN so pull and replace.

might help...

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
While it is possible the VIN is stored in the unit, you can definitely swap it from another vehicle without any programming.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I just did like paying so much for anoth outdated unit. The Bluetooth is subpar and function is just so so and the windows 95 style screen is tarable even for 2006. There are some really nice unit out there now that do so much more for less.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Spring roll and and a sauce cup on the little lip of the console... I learned long ago, don't ask why, just fix stuff.

Ray_G

Explorer
Okay, I'll bite because nobody else has asked... "How, in the world, did that happen?" Was she making sushi on the dash? That's not in a place where you could normally even spill a drink on it, let alone soy sauce! I've gotta know... :)

I wondered it but also figured in the name of domestic tranquility best not to dwell on how...why...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exploder
I still think you've offended an old, gypsy witch.

As my father would say, "You have more problems than ******** Tracy."

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
... I learned long ago, don't ask why, just fix stuff.
That just made me spit coffee. LOL It's so true! I even get yelled at for trying be proactive about crap breaking!

I wonder how that interfaces with the OE system. Wasn't clear in my quick scan.
Generally they don't - that's the problem. They're generic head units with a LR splash screen and a model specific bezel. If you want it to work with the OEM amp and speakers, you are on your own (Though generally there a solutions in the market. I have never played with LR systems, though, so I do not know about the D3/4's).
Making it mesh with any other vehicle systems (vehicle info, etc) is almost certainly a no-go. Maybe we can change that in the future...

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well after the radio sat in our garage for the better part of a week I plugged the radio in this morning for fun and what do you know it works again! Problem solved. This made me happy with my other Land Rover problems right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94