Range Rover Classic Upgraded Steering Parts

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have a good recipe for upgrading the tie-rod ends and linkage in the front of a Range Rover? I don't need any skid plates, just looking for some stronger tie-rods etc.

I'm currently running 33" tall tires with a heavy diesel motor on top of everything. And about 3" of lift.

:ylsmoke:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Oh picture for attention

20476368_10154935288500028_2683721250597116638_n.jpg

21751279_352596868497394_3124937301026431938_n.jpg

You can get all custom parts from Ballistic Fabrication and make your own for dirt cheap as well. They have high angle washers, spacers, bevel spacers and anything you can think of. Since you are a savvy fab guy and can weld, this is a great option.

I made a set for my old Excursion for less than $150. Plan to do the same with my LR3 on the next round. You can buy the reamer from speedway motors for a custom set up that will last a lifetime.

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/collections/steering-components

fishEH

Explorer
Serious question. What's wrong with the stock Rover TRE's? I've never really heard of one breaking.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Mine are finally worn out after 195k miles. Plus I have a much heavier engine now with my 6.2 diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Harris

Expedition Leader
So you added 400 lbs to the front of one of the most perfect 4x4's ever made, and now you want to fix what you have done. . . Lol. . . Never mind . . .

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
David, you can't do what I have done, you don't have the skills or ability to do it. So you criticize what I've done to try and make you feel better about yourself. If you don't like what I've done, you can always just ignore the build. But obviously you are intrigued. You can't stop trying to knock down what I have built. You can't stop commenting negative things about what I have done to my RRC.

The fact of the matter is, my conversion runs great, gets great mileage, has great torque, fits well in the engine bay and does not have Lucas problems anymore. Plus it does not blow head-gaskets, drop cylinder liners or have weird electrical issues.

If I want some stronger parts, what does it matter to you? My truck is how I want it, and if you were honest with yourself, you know that Land Rover engines are not perfect. The transmissions are weak and the stock BW transfer-case is garbage as well. The LT230 case is also nice, but if you upgraded your BW to a LT230, you have ruined the perfect vehicle you claim to own. Have you modified your RRC? Well if you have, you ruined another perfect example. Hypocrisy, its so awesome isn't it?

I use my truck off road, I explore the back country, we have that here in Utah, your flatlanders don't. So, I'll build my truck the way I want, for the way I use it, and not worry about some whiny hypocrite. Now get off my threads and make your own about how you have desecrated your own vehicle.

Its the body and design of the body that makes them perfect.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
So you added 400 lbs to the front of one of the most perfect 4x4's ever made, and now you want to fix what you have done. . . Lol. . . Never mind . . .

UK RRC's are petrol and diesel. Rule of thumb is that diesels weigh about 2X a small block V8. A Buick V8 is ~318lbs. A 300tdi is around ~750lbs. A 6.x GM around ~800lbs.

Engine Power Specifications

Replicate a UK RRC diesel suspension/steering and you will probably be close to factory.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
David, you can't do what I have done, you don't have the skills or ability to do it. So you criticize what I've done to try and make you feel better about yourself. If you don't like what I've done, you can always just ignore the build. But obviously you are intrigued. You can't stop trying to knock down what I have built. You can't stop commenting negative things about what I have done to my RRC.

The fact of the matter is, my conversion runs great, gets great mileage, has great torque, fits well in the engine bay and does not have Lucas problems anymore. Plus it does not blow head-gaskets, drop cylinder liners or have weird electrical issues.

If I want some stronger parts, what does it matter to you? My truck is how I want it, and if you were honest with yourself, you know that Land Rover engines are not perfect. The transmissions are weak and the stock BW transfer-case is garbage as well. The LT230 case is also nice, but if you upgraded your BW to a LT230, you have ruined the perfect vehicle you claim to own. Have you modified your RRC? Well if you have, you ruined another perfect example. Hypocrisy, its so awesome isn't it?

I use my truck off road, I explore the back country, we have that here in Utah, your flatlanders don't. So, I'll build my truck the way I want, for the way I use it, and not worry about some whiny hypocrite. Now get off my threads and make your own about how you have desecrated your own vehicle.

Its the body and design of the body that makes them perfect.

Hey. If you're posting on a public forum, then you are inviting comments, pro and con. You can't expect every reaction to be positive. I don't think I am being rude, am I? Just stating an opinion. If you think the only perfect thing about the Range Rover Classic is the body design, well then I whole heartedly disagree with that.

Also, you don't know me, what skills I have, or what I have done with vehicles. I have considered engine transplants in some of the eight Land Rovers I have owned, and in the end I realized that it would really just be out of character for the vehicle. I decided that the ultimate course is to focus on maintaining and enjoying the great vehicles as they came from the factory, maybe with some mild bolt-on mods at the most. That's just my opinion. You don't have to like it. Besides, most of the people I have seen with a major engine transplant in a Rover are either breaking down repeatedly, chasing unforeseen design issues, and/or ultimately getting rid of the vehicle. Often, they even go back to a stock version of the same vehicle. Since you're such a great engineer and mechanic that probably won't happen to you though. . .

Anyway, all I have said so far about your build is that in normally aspirated form, the 6.2 is going to blow black smoke in the mountains out there. How do I know? Because I had a 6.2 diesel Suburban for five years when I lived in Colorado, and it blew black smoke in the mountains even when it was brand new. (I am originally from Colorado by the way.) And, shortly after I said that, you went out and bought a turbo setup for it. You're welcome. Also, I questioned welding the differential gears solid on a street driven vehicle. Hardly picking on you is it? Anyway, enjoy your truck.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
UK RRC's are petrol and diesel. Rule of thumb is that diesels weigh about 2X a small block V8. A Buick V8 is ~318lbs. A 300tdi is around ~750lbs. A 6.x GM around ~800lbs.

Engine Power Specifications

Replicate a UK RRC diesel suspension/steering and you will probably be close to factory.

300 Tdi's do not weigh 750 lbs. More in the 500 lb range. As a matter of fact, when I had my 300 Tdi shipped to me with the transmission, transfer case, radiator and all accessories, the whole thing with the pallet weighed about 750 lbs. Check it for yourself.

Last edited:

Mr_13B

I have the SUMO bars on mine and they are triple the thickness of the standard bars. I also upgraded my springs to Devotech from Devon4x4 as I am running a Mazda 3.5slti which is much heavier than the old V8 or the 300tdi/TD5 etc. Plus I have ARB style bumper and winch etc which adds even more to the equation.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I have the SUMO bars on mine and they are triple the thickness of the standard bars. I also upgraded my springs to Devotech from Devon4x4 as I am running a Mazda 3.5slti which is much heavier than the old V8 or the 300tdi/TD5 etc. Plus I have ARB style bumper and winch etc which adds even more to the equation.

Cool. I’ll look into that. Thanks.

crazysccrmd

Observer
I have the Terrafirma track rod and drag link on my RRC. They are much heavier duty and come with greasable ball joints that thread in like a normal setup, not the combination thread/clamp oem style.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Cool. Thanks. I think I actually still can buy Terafirma stuff directly from England. I’ll order those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles