RAM Trucks recall for fire risk

STREGA

Explorer
Is it diesel or gasser engines that are affected? Would have been nice if they mentioned that in the article.

zb39

Adventurer
No offense, but I will wait to read about it from someplace that isn't known for fake news.

Dalko43

Explorer
This affected version of the Cummins (2013+) has been out for over 4 years now, and many of these vehicles have hundreds of thousands of miles on them. I haven't heard of fires at the water pump being a common problem, and FCA seems to be proactively resolving the defect.

All things considered, I don't think this will be much of a black eye for FCA's or the Cummins brand. Owners take their trucks in, get a part swapped out and everything should be good to go.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
This affected version of the Cummins (2013+) has been out for over 4 years now, and many of these vehicles have hundreds of thousands of miles on them. I haven't heard of fires at the water pump being a common problem, and FCA seems to be proactively resolving the defect.

All things considered, I don't think this will be much of a black eye for FCA's or the Cummins brand. Owners take their trucks in, get a part swapped out and everything should be good to go.

I agree, but as a previous owner of one of those trucks, I can say the amount of recalls I got in the mailbox was alarming.

Dalko43

Explorer
I agree, but as a previous owner of one of those trucks, I can say the amount of recalls I got in the mailbox was alarming.

Which truck did you own?

Looking at the NHTSA, there are a few recalls out for the Ram HD (it varies with the year and 2500 vs. 3500 rating). Most of them seem related to air bag issues and electronics. There seem to be very few mechanical and powertrain recalls with these newer 3rd gen's relative to the older Ram trucks.

Dalko43

Explorer
2014 ram 3500 dually 4x4 Cummins automatic.

There are only 5 recalls listed for that model and year on the NHTSA website, which isn't outrageous by today's standards. I'm sure it has more than a few TSB's, but those are different from outright recalls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles