Protecting Water Tanks

steve66

Observer
Hi All,

My water tanks are built but need to add some protection from stones the wheels will kick up. Was going to add thin metal plates but am now thinking of a protective coating like Body Deadener or Raptor.

Any thoughts?

Cheers Steve

IMG_0203.JPG

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The biggest problem with adding a coating is ensuring that it will stick to the plastic that the tanks are made from. Don't underestimate how difficult that can be.

gait

Explorer
I have welded polypropylene tanks between the chassis rails. A sheet of 3-ply under each has survived. No marks, so I don't know if its had to actually protect the tanks.

They did get a partial coating of new road tar, but that washed off with diesel. :)

Same approach on a converted Coaster bus also no tank damage.

steve66

Observer
Thanks Owen, I've done a bit of research and it appears possible with some of the modern primers and good surface prep, I have some offcuts so can do a test and see.

The PE is easily damaged so need to protect it from flying stones, not worried about hitting boulders as much.

Also thanks Julian. The ones between the rails might be ok but I have some right behind the LH front wheel as well, hadn't thought of ply, cheap and easy to work with.

Cheers Steve

Last edited:

steve66

Observer
Thanks, have those already, might suck it and see for now, can always add later if a problem.

Cheers Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94