Montero Parts Thread?

I'm on the verge of a Montero XLS purchase but one thing is holding me back: concern over access to parts. It seems to be an acknowledged headache even among the resident mechanical maestros. To soothe this concern I've searched for a thread that consolidates the best sources for OEM and aftermarket Montero parts...and found only older exchanges with lotsa dead links. What gives? Does my search-**** suck that badly (entirely possible) or is there really not a thread (ideally a sticky) that captures this stuff all neat and tidy? Puzzled here.

Then again, I'm easily puzzled.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Rock Auto is your friend here, they'll have basically everything you need. There are various OEM parts dealers online, depending on which part you can always shop around and I've found if I call one of my local dealers and talk with them about what price I could get on the internet vs what they're offering sometimes a "preferred customer" price magically becomes available - it's saved me 25%-30% on parts where the shipping swamped part cost. I've even had some luck with amazon depending on what I needed.

For larger/more expensive parts (differential gears, body panels, trim pieces, etc) the local pick-a-part is going to be your best bet, thought that's basically true for all vehicles...

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
There's one company in the US for aftermarket, their name escapes me but my signature seems to draw back some memories... ;)

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Ya, I wouldn't worry about part availability. I've found parts to be plentiful and although I too usually use RockAuto, even when I go into the big chains I'm able to find most things. And then there is always the dealership part departments and Amazon and eBay and lots of 3rd party mitsubishi parts websites.

I think the 2 biggest part problems come from:

1. Sites getting different model and generations mixed up. MONTERO vs MONTERO SPORT and GEN 2.5 vs GEN 2, GEN 3 with 3.8L vs 3.5L etc. But if you just cross reference part numbers that's pretty easy to avoid.
2. Lack of junk yard donors. For doors, trim pieces, buttons, etc. - it's slim pickens and is only gonna get worse.

Back in time, not too long ago the other thing on this list would have been aftermarket support but I don't think that's a big deal anymore. And besides, the Montero never needed a lot of parts to turn into a capable offroader...cough...jeep...cough. :)

plh

Explorer
For parts availability, they are definitely not a main stream US manufactured high volume vehicle, so if you need a part that keeps the vehicle from being driven, don't expect to go to your neighborhood auto parts store to get you back up and going in a lot of cases.

offthepath

Adventurer
Many local parts houses don't list stuff for montero. However, I have had a lot of success using rock auto to find a part number and then using that to locate the part locally. It's worked several times, the last being a serpentine pully that went out. Found the part number on rock auto and Napa had it in stock.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Sometimes, on some parts, aftermarket just doesn't quite cut it. Here's my preferred dealer for OEM Mitsubishi, R.C. Hill in Deland, FL. If you can't find the part online, call the counter, get the part number, then you can type it in online and add it to your order. Very good service, and timely shipping.
https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
I second mitsubishipartswarehouse.com. That's who I order my parts from. Irma delayed my most recent order (since they're in FL), but they had it out the door two days later, mere hours after they had restored power to the dealership.

Wow, great stuff. I was about to lop the 3.5 Montero off my short (wish) list but it's still in play. Thanks, all. Very helpful.

And I still think this would be a good sticky thread. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles