Weak V6 a dealbreaker?

I have two concerns prior to purchasing a used Gen 3: availabilty of parts and lack of power. I've tried to address the concern over parts in another thread. As for power, I'm told the V6 in the 2001 XLS I'm looking at is anemic when compared to comparable SUVs and the vehicles I'm used to driving (Jeep XJ 4.0 and WJ 4.7). So Gen 3 owners, I'm requesting your honest takes on this. Is the 3.5 a limpwristed Nancy incapable of freeway bursts...or simply misunderstood? Does it lack low end grunt? Do the extra 15 horses in the 3.8 (03+ models, I think) really make a noticeable difference? Can modest mods unleash hidden potential?

I ask these questions because I intend to use the Montero to 1) tow my little flats skiff (roughly 2k lbs including trailer) to local fishing spots, and 2) drive the wife and kids all over tarnation to national parks and the odd long-distance adventure where lotsa freeway time (and frequent passing) is required.

Appreciate all replies.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Well, it is under-powered, I think that's an accepted fact, however, exactly what that means is a bit whiffy in my opinion. It's got plenty of low end torque for getting up to freeway speed and apparently it's as good or better than most other makes "more powerful" engines due to a combination of grunt, transmission/diff gearing when you're off road. It's also a higher rev'ing engine than I'm used to, it really shines higher on the rev range.

I just finished a trip from Denver to Minneapolis and back with nary an issue cruising along at 70-75 for hours on end - though I'm a pretty relaxed freeway driver and wasn't doing crazy bursts. I drove a Nissan 720 for years before the Montero so while it isn't a sports car it certainly does well enough for my needs. I've towed up to 5k lbs (little skid loader) and I felt like it was adequate to move around locally I wouldn't want to take it on the freeway or over a pass. Though in my case the real limiter was my rear springs are so tired that it was nearly dragging... There are others who have upgraded their springs to the ones by Adventure Driven Designs and they're much better, or you could always add airbags (again others have done it) to give you a bit more load capacity.

One other comment compared with comparable vehicles I've driven is that at least on the freeway it's relatively quiet (for a tall 4x4) and so after 7 hours on the road I didn't feel ruined, which was a nice surprise. I'm currently improving the soundproofing even more and it's paid some nice dividends so far.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Probably be better off with a Tahoe or something along those lines. I find the 3.5 to be a great engine in my light weight Sport....not a fan of it in the 3rd gen but the 5 speed 3.8 is a decent combo on stock size tires.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Oh - as far as upgrading the power, unless you you substantial money and time, don't bother wasting time on it. There are certainly people who have done stuff like add turbos/superchargers, engine swapped, etc, but there isn't much easy & cheap that you can do beyond get the truck up to date on maintenance.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I've used both the 3.5l and the 3.8l engines for towing and offroad. The 3.5l is helped in the 01-02 XLS trim by having 4.9 gears which improve acceleration and torque. The 3.8l has noticeably more power, but that also has to do with the improved intake manifold design (dual length runners) over the 3.5l. Is it as powerful as my parents' 4.0l Nissan Pathfinder? No, but only at highway speeds. A downshift to 4th (3rd in XLS) still gives me plenty of power for passing.

I used both motors for towing my race car and trailer (~2-2.5k lbs) with all my tools in the back. I can still cruise at 60-65mph with all of this gear. It will be comparable to the XJs 4.0l more than the V8s, but it also does not use as much gas as either of those options.

montypower

Adventure Time!
3.8L w/ 5 Speed has no issues with power. Not fast but not under powered. Yes, it is noticeable difference with 3.8L. It just doesn't work as hard. Plus, it will run on regular vs premium. 3.5L in the Sport is plenty of motor as well. 3.0L works but needs planning ahead and patience. If you're concerned with safety... why are you passing people with your family in the SUV? Seems like a bad plan. Start 15 minutes early, relax and enjoy the drive. It's not a race. And if it was, then get an appropriate sports car.

plh

Explorer
The 3.8L with the 5 speed is sweet, I'm planning at some point way out in the future to swap in 4.9 front & rear gearing and the Torsion LSD in the rear from the early Gen 3.

Great and helpful responses. Thank you. I focused my initial question on the 3.5 because unfortunately the only lowish mileage, good condition versions of the Gen3's I'm finding within striking distance are of the pre-2003 variety. Sounds to me like the 3.5 motor is acceptable.

And Monty, I'm probably the most protective dad you are likely to meet. My two older kids can handle themselves now but I had a little one late in life and woe be unto anyone who compromises her safety. I don't view freeway driving as a race. But I have always believed that a more powerful motor is a safer motor since it can help greatly when evasive maneuvers are required. In addition, even the most cautious drivers get stuck behind slow vehicles that require a passing burst and an extra bit of punch can be an undeniable safety factor. Alll of that aside, I just hate gutless vehicles.

Thanks again, all.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
with any of them it's important to set them up for your intended use. With the proper gearing and tire size you'll haul most things comfortably. One of the locals tows his pop up camper all over the southwest and you'd never notice he's got it behind him from how he keeps up with normal traffic. it's the 3.5.

21151598_10213998711540046_6759150564629049876_n.jpg

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I've found the 3.5L / 4.90 / 4 speed AT combination to be plenty of power. My buddy who daily drives a Porsche 911 drove a 2001 Gen3 on test drive last week, first time driving a Monty, and he thought the pick up was great getting on the freeway, etc. and was really surprised.

I've got 33x12.50s on my Gen 2.5, sliders, and always a lot of gear in the back and it's still plenty fast.

HOWEVER, when I hook up my camper to it - it's whole different story. Unlike the camper above, mine is not a popup, nor is it aerodynamic, so it basically acts like a giant parachute. Also pop-ups tend to be very very light. My camper is 1400lbs unloaded and probably around 1600-1700 loaded. Now, that is still really light as far as campers go and at low elevations, it's not a problem, I just know that acceleration and cruise speed will be a little lower/slower. But after 2,000 feet elevation the Overdrive has to be switched off permanently or it will downshift at the slightest incline or change in acceleration. I was literally going 25-30mph with my foot on the floor going over CO's many 10,000' passes.

If I didn't have 33s and the camper sat low behind the car it would have made a huge difference though. Putting premium gas in will help a little too.

IMG_2582.jpg
IMG_2601.jpg
IMG_7823.jpg

Depending on what kind of offroading you're looking to do, a V8 HO WJ might be a good option for you. As much as I'd love you to join the Montero family, the lack of power is the biggest "complaint" I have with this amazing vehicle. I was in the slow lane for 2,800 miles on this last trip getting passed by semi trucks and giant RVs towing JKs.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have two concerns prior to purchasing a used Gen 3: availabilty of parts and lack of power. I've tried to address the concern over parts in another thread. As for power, I'm told the V6 in the 2001 XLS I'm looking at is anemic when compared to comparable SUVs and the vehicles I'm used to driving (Jeep XJ 4.0 and WJ 4.7). So Gen 3 owners, I'm requesting your honest takes on this. Is the 3.5 a limpwristed Nancy incapable of freeway bursts...or simply misunderstood? Does it lack low end grunt? Do the extra 15 horses in the 3.8 (03+ models, I think) really make a noticeable difference? Can modest mods unleash hidden potential?

I ask these questions because I intend to use the Montero to 1) tow my little flats skiff (roughly 2k lbs including trailer) to local fishing spots, and 2) drive the wife and kids all over tarnation to national parks and the odd long-distance adventure where lotsa freeway time (and frequent passing) is required.

Appreciate all replies.

Having owned Jeeps with both the 4.0 and an upgraded 5.2 that would make even the 5.9 look anemic I do not miss them at all, the little 3.5 in our 98 Montero is a more refined motor and has better stock gearing than either Jeep had, thus having better power delivery than the 4.0. The raw power of the 5.2 was nice but was always worried about breaking something or the tranny blowing up. Go drive a few Monteros and you will see for yourself, far better than your Jeeps and plenty of power for the skiff.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Nope, not a deal-breaker at all... It may however, require a slight adjustment of your expectations.

Since I can only tell my story... My decision to get one included a couple of pages of features and specs comparisons written down on paper between my V-8 sedan daily driver and my now prized '02 Montero Limited. Each item got a ranking of 1-10, I tried to be objective on purpose, and was surprised when I added up the columns. The Montero simply crushed my prior favorite limited production model luxury sport sedan. I did the same with my tow rig, a '95 Ford Club Wagon Chateau, 5.8L V-8, factory tow package.

Again the Montero came out on top with the only 2 downsides being losing 90 ft/lbs of torque, and the shorter wheelbase (in regards to towing). Good news is the Limited has the 5-speed select shift with 4.30 gears and weighs less than the van, so I've determined it still wins even with less torque. In every other category, except passenger and cargo room, the Montero again took the edge. I know I have to keep the revs up in the torque band, but the joy of having enough gears to choose from along with the select shift is awesome. As I've gotten to know the Gen 3, I continue to be surprised at how well thought out and mechanically designed it is, (ok, after you deal with the leaking valve covers, valve seals, and cam seals..:snorkel:) After driving my Gen 3 as a daily driver, with a fair amount of time on the highway, and playing off road, you'd be hard pressed to convince me that anything else could match the value and performance for the dollar, even keeping in mind we're talking about 15 year-old technology! Since you are a Jeep owner, I would echo the above comments, and argue that the Montero package benefits will have you quickly forgetting your worry about engine power. I love the independent suspension, no it doesn't have the articulation capabilities of the earlier models, but my percentage of time needing that, or heavy towing isn't that high.

At the end of the day, I think it is all about the package, and the "balance, or fitness overall". In my hot rod days, I drove a 340 Dart which I had built and slightly modded the engine and transmission, it "just worked". I loved catching the big block cars snoozing at the starting line, many of them never understood what happened....certainly they had more power and torque, they just couldn't apply it as well as I could with my setup. Come to think of it, I shoot 20 gauge clays in the back field for the same reason over 12 gauge. :elkgrin: If you can handle most of your own maintenance, the Gen 3 Montero Limited is a winner, applies what power and torque it has with great efficiency, and leaves me often grinning like the cat that ate the canary.

A couple of fun stories about the Montero:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/156349-Cooper-Discoverer-Backing-Down-Elephant-Hill-for-Love?highlight=bill+burke

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/80929-A-backcountry-trip-to-Utah-sells-the-wife-on-overlanding!/page2?highlight=bill+burke

A little Aussie fun with a diesel Pajero, the "camera car" becomes the star. Funny these trucks are nearly worshiped everywhere in the world but here?
[video]https://youtu.be/Kzz19KQNuIQ[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/3WPsT4p1lE8[/video]

Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
This is everything I normally bring with me when towing. The rear of the Montero is also filled with all of my tools and spare equipment. I drove my STI separately while my dad drove my SUV. I also use AWD (4H) on the 5-speed when towing to help mitigate any trailer swaying effects.

11329763_10205247815449946_6132841816961878225_n.jpg

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I've used both the 3.5l and the 3.8l engines for towing and offroad. The 3.5l is helped in the 01-02 XLS trim by having 4.9 gears which improve acceleration and torque. The 3.8l has noticeably more power, but that also has to do with the improved intake manifold design (dual length runners) over the 3.5l. Is it as powerful as my parents' 4.0l Nissan Pathfinder? No, but only at highway speeds. A downshift to 4th (3rd in XLS) still gives me plenty of power for passing.

I used both motors for towing my race car and trailer (~2-2.5k lbs) with all my tools in the back. I can still cruise at 60-65mph with all of this gear. It will be comparable to the XJs 4.0l more than the V8s, but it also does not use as much gas as either of those options.

Michael's real-world, practical advice on the Gen 3 Montero's towing capability was one of my primary decision making factors, heed his advice! thanks again Michael.

offthepath

Adventurer
I have a 3.8 so not sure how a 3.5 compares, however all my driving is in the Rocky mountains and at elevation. I find driving the montero around town and under 60mph you never notice a lack of power. On the highway it's fine and does everything you need of it but you will notice the lack of power. Running over the mountain passes I have no problems staying in the fast lane the majority of the time but you are really spinning the engine at 4-5k. However, I don't see it being able to tow much in the Colorado mountains unless you're parked in the slow lane doing 30. Unloaded it is just fine. If you need a car that makes you smile when you punch the gas the montero is not it. But if you are fine with adequate power in an expetional vehicle at a great price point the montero is perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne