Raptor liner Chevy AWD - rockers, fenders and bumpers

dleeallen

Adventurer
I finally got the courage up to do some rust clean up work on my van. I'm lucky it was just paint bubbles / surface rust, no major work had to be done. I was able to grind it all down, prime it and rhino line it. Thanks to Ruby and straker101 I got the courage to do it. His van looked great so I went for it!

It was time consuming but pretty easy. Hardest part was the tape line - talk about anxiety! I really didn't want to screw that up...

I plastidipped the chrome in the grill while I was at it. Next up is the wheels. Still chasing a vibration so don't want to bother with painting them until that is sorted out and I know they are balanced for a good long time.

Next up is some inner body cavity wax in the rockers and doors. Then a bit more undercoat on the underbody.

Before I put all the door panels on I'm adding a few tiles of sound deadener and some thinsulate from Hein. Hoping it is a bit quieter and less cheap sounding when I slam the doors!

IMG_1530.jpg

Before examples:
IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

dleeallen

Adventurer
Looks real good. I am going to try that someday.

Doug

Pretty easy to do if you have an air compressor. If I didn't have to deal with the rust and peeling paint it could have been done in a day. The work is 90% prep and 10% spraying the Raptor liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRLexpress

Observer
Did you use the spray gun that came with the kit? If so can you clean it and use it again later? Or is it a disposable? I am thinking about doing different sections at different times. Like right now I am working on the interior and would like to spray the wheel wells and the rear door threshold.

Doug

dleeallen

Adventurer
I bought a 4 liter kit off and the Gravitex gun from UPOL off Amazon. That was the cheapest way I found to buy it. I also got the UPOL primer and adhesion promotor - just a spray can of each. I used 3M 1/4" vinyl tape for a nice line. My Amazon shopping list is available for you to check out. Locally I sourced the sand paper (220 grit), acetone, lint free paper towels, etc...

Yes, you can clean the gun with Acetone and use it again. It's just a 'shutz' gun. Basically a siphon tube sprayer. I did the body one day and the bumpers the next day.

It's definitely easier to spray a whole liter at a time. Easier to mix it up right in it's own container. Just add the hardener and go. You can mix it in smaller batches if needed. For reference, I used 2 liters on the rockers and doors and jamb bottoms. The bumpers also took 2 liters. That's two coats.

Make sure you tape off and cover everything with plastic. It's not like spraying paint where you get a 'fog' of overspray, but you def get overspray! Also make sure you have a respirator and some sort of face mask. You don't want speckles of Raptor stuck to your face or glasses! I did get a little overspray on a few things I didn't intend to and was able to either use the acetone to wipe it off while still fairly fresh, or if it was just a speck I was able to scrape it with a plastic razor blade.

I sprayed at about 60psi and 18" away. I wanted a smoother finish. I tried thinning a coat and I didn't see a big difference in texture.

The big thing to note is you can't get it wet for 72 hours while it cures. That was a challenge for me because I did this outside with no ability to move it indoors. The dew overnight is super heavy right now so I had to find a place to get it indoors for a couple days. Plan ahead for that.

Accrete

Explorer
for those around the Portland/Vancouver Metro area i was & still am pleased (4 years after the job) with the Rhino Lining job that Vancouver RL did on our Chevy AWD. They did pretty much exactly the same area as mentioned in the OP.

accreteChevyAWDcurrent.jpg

It really adds value and longevity to the rig. Our bill for all at the time was ~$750. Since we full time in an RV and don't have access to tools or a shop it was the way to go.
Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles