Bundutec Hardside Campers BunduVry?

CCH

Adventurer
Very reluctantly I just traded in my JKU on a truck. Went through multiple back surgeries and just driving it around town was too rough. A 3/4 ton IFS Chevy is just enough smoother for me, and is going to be dramatically more comfortable on the washboard FS roads in the area that I frequent. Anyway, my wife is wanting a boat which necessitates a truck camper so it accommodates multiple needs. Naturally, I want to retain all the trail worthiness I can (not expecting to go where my Jeep could) and would like a pop up. She's not going back from our current hard side trailer. So... we'll compromise and get what she wants. ;)

We have had about every kind of RV other than a truck camper or motorhome, and are figuring out our way with vehicle carried shelter. Prior to purchasing the truck, I had her check out truck campers to make sure she could handle the size. Check. I am maintaining a line on getting something as compact and light as possible. Check. The truck is my DD and during the summer (I'm a teacher), we may well just leave the camper on. Size matters. We looked at a Northstar Liberty and it seemed like a pretty good fit with everything she wants while being relatively "light" and compact for a hard side.

I came across Bundutec and the BunduVry. I really like it. The price is great compared to everything else, but it's a long drive to Iowa. My wife is not completely sold on the layout, but the price could sway her. My concerns are a company with no current distribution and a limited history. I like their overlanding focus compared to most truck campers and I know that the guy behind it has long experience in the industry, but I'm just wondering if anyone has some real world experience? I have searched and am not finding much -- probably because they haven't been out long.

For the record, the truck is a 2013 Chevrolet Silverado HD 6.0 extended cab short/regular bed with automatic and 4WD. It is the work truck version, so it has about as few options as possible. It came with HappiJac mounts installed and Airlift bags, and is pretty much ready to mount a camper. Thanks for any and all help!

windtraveler

Observer
I underwent a long search and could not find anything to fit my needs...then I stumbled across Bundutec. They worked with me to create the "perfect" custom camper for us, one they have added to their line and have dubbed the Riptide. I am so happy with our camper. I believe it it one of the best values in the industry. Rory knows how to build a quality product and can tailor it to fit your needs. We picked ours up in February and have spent approx 30 nights in it. Have driven over 500 miles on rough, washboard, washed out forest service roads. On one occasion we got weightless (not airborne) by mistake. Not paying attention while driving too fast and failed to see a rather large dip in the road. So far, the camper has held up really well. The fit and finish are much better than I expected, they are obviously well built, and their customer service is second to none. I highly recommend both them and their campers!

STREGA

Explorer
I'am currently in the process of having Bundutec build me a custom flatbed popup that is based off the Bunducamp model but has quite a few changes from the standard Bunducamp. It is their first flatbed camper built for the U.S. market, all the others have gone down under to Australlia. They are trying to get a bigger presence here in the states and I think they will become a bigger player in the camper market and with overlanders.

Like Windtraveller I was looking for something that no one was building and came across Bundutec at Overland Expo West In 2016 and ordered my camper this year at the Expo. The owner Rory has a a lot of passion for the overland movement and actually enjoys building custom campers for his customers. Since he cut his teeth building Northstar campers, which his father founded, he knows how to build a camper. Like you I was a bit concern about the lack of a dealer support system and since they are fairly new there's not a lot of feedback/info on their campers out there. But after meeting Rory and Jenn (who is great to work with by the way) and checking out their camper at the Expo I felt confident they would build me a quality camper.

I'm not looking forward to the drive to Iowa all that much but it will be worth it to get the camper of my dreams. This will be my last camper I will own (famous last words!) in a long line of camping rigs over the last 40 years. Over those years I have learned what I need and want in a camper and it was really cool to be able to get just what I wanted and not what someone else thinks I should have.

CCH

Adventurer
This is all good to hear. Jenn has been great to work with. She makes you really want to buy from them, and not in a salesy way, just by being super helpful and nice. Need to get our camper sold and see what we can pull off.

windtraveler

Observer
Rangerdogg,
Haven't figured out how to post a link my threads. Search the custom hard sided camper thread sticky for my Bundutec pics.

CCH, I just don't see the value in having a ton of dealers. For those of us who have owned various campers, repaired them, etc. we know how things go together and are pretty self sufficient, plus we have our own ideas of what we want. When you are out in the middle of nowhere, what can a dealer do for you? I think this really applies to one-off custom campers where the dealers do not want the extra work and customer service it takes to actually produce what the customer wants. I don't see many people on this forum who are hanging out at Camping World, buying the 'sticks and staples' JayFlight, or whatever.

I am also talking to Rory about a flatbed camper. I was recently in Denver and also stopped into the Phoenix plant where they make campers in Commerce City. They also do custom work there. The owners were on a trip, but the guys who build them showed me the process. They mostly do pop-ups, but when they saw I was from the NW, they knew I wanted a hard side... I would recommend a tour there, as well as a trip to Iowa. When you are investing thousands of $$, you may as well check things out. You also may pick up some good ideas about layout, weight saving strategies, various appliances, etc.

Roger M.

Adventurer
I'm not enthused about overlanding truck campers that make a point in their marketing literature of highlighting that their chosen method of construction is to use wood and staples for the frame.

I remain unconvinced that wood and staples are as secure in the long term as is a welded aluminium frame.

CCH

Adventurer
On the wood construction, opinions definitely seem to vary. The "how" seems to be more vital than the "what."

As to us, we ended up with a used 2012 Northstar 850SC. It had two crucial criteria: it was local and we were able to buy it with the cash we had in hand from selling our trailer. The plan is to run it indefinitely, but we're leaving open the option to go to a hard side if my wife can't embrace the pop up. For what we paid, we won't get hurt down the road and we can start using it right away. Thanks for all the input.

Pateuni

We have a hardside BunduVry under construction. Rory and Jenn have been great to work with. They build exactly what you want. Rory says he builds each unit like it is going to be his. It was the availability of the Truma Combi that first led us to BundutecUSA. We will have 320 watts solar, upgraded insulation, and insulated windows for four season capability.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
nelson4.jpg

Nails, wood, and staples can be plenty tough when done right.

It really is HOW, not WHAT.

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/2017/02/why-wood-frame-construction/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles