Possible on a 2dr?

Parras

Is great for a couple with no kids or larger pets, as my wife, the cat and I.
I use a basket on the hitch receiver for larger trips, later added a tire carrier with basket which I don't like too much, now I am working on a custom roof rack. :costumed-smiley-007

q.jpg

jaxs1984

Adventurer
I have a 2 DR but it is just me so it works out pretty good, not sure if a passenger in the front would be cramped.

Jeep2.jpg

IMG_0307.JPG

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
A 2-door can be done. But, I only go alone in it, and have dedicated it to camping/exploring only. Definitely not a daily driver anymore.

IMG_3686.jpg

Eric_

Really awesome posts. I suppose with a little creativity anything can be possible. Are any of you worried about theft? At least for those of you guys with the rear tire rack mount? Seems like a great place to store things but I’d be scared of getting my things stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Really awesome posts. I suppose with a little creativity anything can be possible. Are any of you worried about theft? At least for those of you guys with the rear tire rack mount? Seems like a great place to store things but I'd be scared of getting my things stolen.

If you are worried about losing the spare, they make anti-theft bolts you can install (that need some sort of key). As for the rack above the spare, I haven't kept anything up there. My intention was to have a place to carry one night's worth of fire wood...and have a place to set the heater when sleeping in the tent.

I get your point though. There are some pricey goodies in my rig, and I couldn't afford to replace them if stolen. For example, if I have to leave the rig somewhere overnight (without me) such as a mechanic...I take all the pricey toys out. :)

When at camp I put all my gear in the Jeep at night and figure that's about the best you can do.

Steve F

Adventurer
If it's just me it's easy, even two would really only mean a double swag. I think no problem without the back seat in. We did 4 weeks in my old XJ with 3 of us just using the area behind the back seat (so nothing on the seats) and a rooftop tent. Roof rack just has spare fuel on it but chucking the swag up there leaves a lot of interior space.

13418737_904091639721165_547047276855457759_n.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Eric_

If it's just me it's easy, even two would really only mean a double swag. I think no problem without the back seat in. We did 4 weeks in my old XJ with 3 of us just using the area behind the back seat (so nothing on the seats) and a rooftop tent. Roof rack just has spare fuel on it but chucking the swag up there leaves a lot of interior space.

View attachment 427283

Cheers
Steve

That’s a very cool looking set up!

Eric_

One more question, has anyone tried putting a road bike inside a 2 door? The dealership would allow me to put my road bike inside. I understand Lol, but couldn’t hurt to try. I imagine with the front wheel off it might be possible?

Justincredible

Adventurer
One more question, has anyone tried putting a road bike inside a 2 door? The dealership would allow me to put my road bike inside. I understand Lol, but couldn't hurt to try. I imagine with the front wheel off it might be possible?

Remove the back seat and move the front passenger seat all the way up to the dash and you should be able to.
Or you can just hang it over the tailgate like short bed trucks do, if your spare tire isn't too big.
evoc-tailgate-pad-tacoma-thule-tailgate-pad-raceface-tailgate-pad-dakine-dlx-pickup-pad.jpg

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I found my 2 dr is enough for no more than 2 people. Take out the backseat and storage room galore. One day campout I'll take the tentcot, multiple day a 10'X10' tent and padded cot. With the a trailer, you don't need to take out the seat. I only take the frig if desert travelling. Bikes are carried on the trailers.

Solo configuration if Jeep trails are involved.
Snowman 004 small.jpg

Old solo long distance configuration.
DSCF4457.jpg

New luxo configuration for all but the toughest Jeep trails.
DSCF0883.jpg
DSCF0874.jpg

Last edited:

Eric_

After much thought, I went with a Tacoma. I decided I wanted a “do it all” kind of vehicle for the next (at least) 10 years. Tacomas are never going to be as great as a jeep, or as fun being able to take the roof and doors off. But they are still great off-road, while providing more confort and utility (being a pick-up truck). It was honestly a very tough choice, but in the end I am very happy with my purchase and loving it every day! Here’s a picture.

41535a8b558485f0ae4b53ffd7bb40a5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles