'94 Toyota Pickup build

Arktikos

Explorer
Look forward to seeing photos of the rebuilt 3.0. If you wanted even more power and have the coin, LC engineering makes headers and a nice exhaust for this engine.

Contrary to a budget build, but looks like that's out the window now anyway. :smiley_drive:

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Look forward to seeing photos of the rebuilt 3.0. If you wanted even more power and have the coin, LC engineering makes headers and a nice exhaust for this engine.

Contrary to a budget build, but looks like that's out the window now anyway. :smiley_drive:

And you would be right. Well, I’m trying still...

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Are you missing just the glass for the rear window or the whole frame too? I've had luck replacing the glass with plexiglass in the past, but finding that whole assembly could be a heck of a goose chase...

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Are you missing just the glass for the rear window or the whole frame too? I've had luck replacing the glass with plexiglass in the past, but finding that whole assembly could be a heck of a goose chase...

I have part of the frame but it’s beat, rusted out, and is pretty much useless. May just remove the window from my existing topper. Measures pretty close.

Last edited:

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Nest is painted and cleared. Now just have to get it reassembled, find a window and some trim, and put it on.

Truck is supposedly being delivered Saturday.... said the mechanic 6 Saturday’s ago.

4ZRCQlp.jpg

U8Ux2Du.jpg

Nikkshepherd

Observer
She’s back

qrCL659.jpg

Finally went and picked her up.

Happy enough with the work. Radiator sprung a small leak from a previous repair as he was showing me his work. Temporarily patched with jb.

He added an oem oil cooler, which was nice.

What wasn’t nice is that there is damage to the bed on the left side near the tailgate. Guy swears it wasn’t him and that it must of been someone on his street. Didn’t care to argue, just drove 5 hours, and was about to do another 5 home.

Just happy to have her back.

Any special break in procedures I should be following other than an oil change after a few hundred miles?

Last edited:

O.B.A.K

Lots of different opinions on break-in out there. Besides changing the oil sooner than later (I’ve seen as soon as 30 miles, I did 200 on my 3.0),keep it gentle for the first couple thousand, avoid constant speeds/highway driving. Sounds like you started off with that right away, 5 hrs worth? You just can’t call it with these motors. Could be 1000 on a new build, could be 250,000. Truck looks amazing though!

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Thanks for the tip! It seems like he’s got the timing retarted. How Long should I wait to adjust this (truck is so sluggish) if at all? Anyone in the area have experience with regearing the Toyota diff’s?

O.B.A.K

I bumped my timing up to between 11-13 advanced, made a big difference for me. I think I did it after 1000 miles but I don’t believe it matters when you do it. I’ve heard of people running 18 advanced but that seems like overkill to me.

Gears will help for sure!

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Sent you a PM about some 4.88s. Best bang for the buck mod out there in my opinion. It's a 4 beer job (well maybe 6 or 7 for me, but I'm really thirsty), very straightforward.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
I bumped my timing up to between 11-13 advanced, made a big difference for me. I think I did it after 1000 miles but I don’t believe it matters when you do it. I’ve heard of people running 18 advanced but that seems like overkill to me.

Gears will help for sure!

Prior to the rebuild I set it to 12. Seemd to do wonders. I think that and some 4.88’s and I’ll be golden. Debating wrapping the crossover pipe as well. Just for some added security for the gaskets.

Arktikos

Explorer
What wasn’t nice is that there is damage to the bed on the left side near the tailgate. Guy swears it wasn’t him and that it must of been someone on his street. Didn’t care to argue, just drove 5 hours, and was about to do another 5 home.

Just happy to have her back...

Gee, you'd think his business insurance would cover it. That's a bummer.

About the gearing, if your truck came from the factory with 235 tires rather than 31's it's no wonder that it doesn't like 33's.

My 1990 4Runner had 31's on it when I bought it about 13 yrs ago. After about 7 yrs I scored 4 used tires closer to the stock size 235's, in great condition, for $100 and they've been on it since.

No, they don't look as cool as 31's but the performance difference is noticeable. If/when they wear out, I'll probably go back to 31's though. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles