'94 Toyota Pickup build

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I'm with Ranger, having a clean matching canopy with all glass adds greatly to resale of the vehicle if you ever move on, with or without the nest.

Are you opposed to just cutting a new one out of plexi?

Honestly, large pieces of thick plexi go for twice what my cap.was and thats without the window frame

Nikkshepherd

Observer
I’m with Ranger, having a clean matching canopy with all glass adds greatly to resale of the vehicle if you ever move on, with or without the nest.

Are you opposed to just cutting a new one out of plexi?

Moving the window to the nest doesn’t have to be permanent. I think it’s like 8 rivits holding the frame on. Problem with the plexi is that I don’t have the frame/hinge. I’d need to rig something up.

Last edited:

Nikkshepherd

Observer
She works well enough to get me to the mountain. Can’t ask for much more.

aTCIwVj.jpg

lsj97o8.jpg

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Man, usually not a fan of color matched caps but that blue does great, itll almost ve a shame to break it up putting that nest on

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Against everyones advice, and my own judgment, I stole the window off of my canopy for the nest. It fits perfect! I will be hanging on to the color matched canopy and finding a window for it.

IMG_2218.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG

Also got some parts in from Crenshaw. Manual hubs installed. Rear diff getting cleaned up for instillation as soon as I can source a 4.88 IFS diff. Bought the set from Crenshaw, but the front was stolen from my porch before i could bring it inside.. Unfortunately this isn't the first theft from my porch, and i didn't learn my lesson the first few times.

IMG_2221.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Wow what are the chances that the window would be an exact fit in the wildernest? That seems like a real stroke of luck.

I still can't get over the fact that front diff was stolen. Some methhead is really confused right now about what to do with that....

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Wow what are the chances that the window would be an exact fit in the wildernest? That seems like a real stroke of luck.

I still can't get over the fact that front diff was stolen. Some methhead is really confused right now about what to do with that....

Worst part is it’s probably trashed or sitting on Craig’slist as “car part” so I’ll never find it.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I just took 2 4.88 front housings to the scrap yard a couple weeks ago . had them on cl for a month with no takers .wish I would have seen this sooner

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
One issue with using the rear window from the old topper is you're going to have to modify it to work. You have to bend the lower lip of the window to match the profile of the tail gate since it's tilted and not flat like it was in the old topper. I do this by sandwiching the lip with two lengths of 1/4" aluminum and about 10 c-clamps and then go slow so you don't torque the glass and break it.

BTW, love the stickers. I covered the windows in one of my first 'Nests with stickers, too. :)

DSC01176.JPGDSC01180.JPG

Nikkshepherd

Observer
One issue with using the rear window from the old topper is you're going to have to modify it to work. You have to bend the lower lip of the window to match the profile of the tail gate since it's tilted and not flat like it was in the old topper. I do this by sandwiching the lip with two lengths of 1/4" aluminum and about 10 c-clamps and then go slow so you don't torque the glass and break it.

BTW, love the stickers. I covered the windows in one of my first 'Nests with stickers, too. :)

View attachment 441552View attachment 441553
Thanks for the insight dave. I was hoping to solve that problem by just scooting it away from the cab a nudge. Glad to know that I’ll probably have to do some bending. Going to get these gears in before I add the extra weight of the nest.

I’ve been collecting stickers for the sole purpose of decking out the nest windows. Haha. I ordered a expoportal sticker but I seem to of misplaced it in my garage.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You might get that to work but I think it'll end up too far back. Kind of depends on the window lip I suppose. If it's short you might get lucky. Every one of them fits a little different so you'll want to take time to set it down, check alignment, tweak it before committing. There's not going to be much margin on the front rail, which is super skinny and in my experience ends up right at the front edge of the 'Nest.

What I'll do after setting it on the bed rail and finding where it wants to sit I'll run a Sharpie around the bed to mark a line on the under side of the 'Nest so you can put the foam tape on just right and in the future get it lined up to the bolt holes again easier.

BTW, you'll want to use a double layer of foam tape across the front otherwise it'll probably leak under it.

IMG_7363_sm.jpg

On the 'Nest originally the window lip was pretty long I assume to make it just slightly difficult to open the tail gate with the window down (the lip in theory preventing the tail gate from opening). But by "slightly" I mean it might take 4 year old kid strength instead of a 2 year old. In any case I've seen toppers with the back windows like this with a single handle and two rods just yanked open all the time. It's ain't exactly Fort Knox.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
I need some advice from the pros here. Bought a 7.5 ifs diff tonight. Guy said it was 4.88. Seemed to be the case with just under 5 turns of the input shaft creating 2 full rotations of the wheel side. However, I cracked it open to see the state of the gears and the ring looks to read 4.6. The rear from Crenshaw says 4.8 right on it. Both have the same color paint on the gear it’s self. Feels like I was dooped. Reached out to seller and he stated he may of given me the wrong one. Fingers crossed he has a 4.88

92540C74-8A70-4F94-8603-6E6318B3719A.jpeg

On a positive note, Seller also threw in a carrier with 5.29’s and a locker. All of this for $200.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Man that's a ripping deal.

Count the teeth on the ring and pinion gears for a sure way to know it's actually 4.88. I wasn't even aware that there was any data stamped on the gears themselves- and to my knowledge there was never any stock 4.60 toyota gears. That diff you have could very well be 4.88.

Reactions: bkg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles