'94 Toyota Pickup build

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Gee, you'd think his business insurance would cover it. That's a bummer.

About the gearing, if your truck came from the factory with 235 tires rather than 31's it's no wonder that it doesn't like 33's.

My 1990 4Runner had 31's on it when I bought it about 13 yrs ago. After about 7 yrs I scored 4 used tires closer to the stock size 235's, in great condition, for $100 and they've been on it since.

No, they don't look as cool as 31's but the performance difference is noticeable. If/when they wear out, I'll probably go back to 31's though. :)

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s got 3.something gears in it now. It’s the dx model not the sr5. Will be upgrading as soon as possible.

Arktikos

Explorer
Yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s got 3.something gears in it now. It’s the dx model not the sr5. Will be upgrading as soon as possible.

I'll be interested in your gear change. Check out the door jam for your axle code. 4.10 is the most common ratio, and I believe this is indicated by G294, or G29 with some other digit following.

254 is 4.56 and 144 is 4.88, which is what you'll want to swap over to.

O.B.A.K

I run 4.56 on my 33x10.5 with a comparable motor build as you. It’s decent, I am seeing 18 in town and 22 on the highway. Cruise at 75 in 5th at about 3200 rpm. If I was going to regear from here I would go up to 5.29 so I could be comfy with the lower end on 33’s and have the ability to go larger. However looking forward to a 3.4 swap I’ll probably keep the 4.56 for now. Hope this helps.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
I run 4.56 on my 33x10.5 with a comparable motor build as you. It's decent, I am seeing 18 in town and 22 on the highway. Cruise at 75 in 5th at about 3200 rpm. If I was going to regear from here I would go up to 5.29 so I could be comfy with the lower end on 33's and have the ability to go larger. However looking forward to a 3.4 swap I'll probably keep the 4.56 for now. Hope this helps.

I swapped to 4.88s w/33's when I still had a 3.0 and it was great. It's still great with a 3.4 but I think I could get away with 4.56s or even the stock 4.10s, the power band and overall power is just that much better.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
First bath in 3 months

hEOW8ot.jpg

43WAXhj.jpg

bkg

Explorer
4.88’s with 33’s on a 3.0/5 speed combo is VERY nice. I’d even consider 5.29’s because that engine revs so nicely... had this combo on my ex-wife’s 94 4unner that has DOA Head porting done. Loved it.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Wildernest at 90%

Was able to get some work on the nest done this weekend. Just about complete aside from putting the tent itself back on and finding a window..

zpjaztn.jpg

LRCOqI5.jpg

Nikkshepherd

Observer
so whats the plan for the rear window? back to tempered glass or making a plexi one?

If I measured correctly, the window on my current topper should work. I’ll just need to relocate the struts. In my research, it seems like there are only really a few styles and sizes anyway. Almost seems as if manufacturers of the toppers all get the windows from the same place.

Problem is that it renders the current topper pretty much worthless.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
At least where i live, caps are practically given away, mine was 50 bucks, if most windows fit would it be better to look around for a used cap to steal it off of to have your clean color matching one retain value?

Nikkshepherd

Observer
At least where i live, caps are practically given away, mine was 50 bucks, if most windows fit would it be better to look around for a used cap to steal it off of to have your clean color matching one retain value?

I’ve considered that as well, but it would also include the dump fee for throwing the cap away after snagging the window.

O.B.A.K

I’m with Ranger, having a clean matching canopy with all glass adds greatly to resale of the vehicle if you ever move on, with or without the nest.

Are you opposed to just cutting a new one out of plexi?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles