'94 Toyota Pickup build

Simons

Adventurer
Ok, so you might actually have a cracked or damaged spark plug that's misfiring or arcing. Strangely though at that RPM your EGR would be flowing but really shouldn't have an impact unless of course the engine is missfiring.... back to possible damaged spark plug. Pull the plugs back out and take a look for track marks down the side of the porcelain.

As far as ruling out a faulty/stuck open EGR, what I like to do is cut out a plate from sheet metal to block off the port. Just bolt the EGR back on top sandwiching the plate to the intake.

I think it's safe to say you don't have any significant vacuum leaks anymore. A vacuum leak would really only be evident at idle (unless it was HUGE), the rough running associated with a vac leak would disappear as soon as you open the throttle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Back after months with an update. Motor blew up. Head gasket went while I was driving from Seattle to Chicago for Christmas. Made it as far as Spokane. Sitting there now getting a rebuilt 3.0 installed.

odonekanobe

Observer
Back after months with an update. Motor blew up. Head gasket went while I was driving from Seattle to Chicago for Christmas. Made it as far as Spokane. Sitting there now getting a rebuilt 3.0 installed.

Damn that sucks. I just saw you're local. I would've helped you out with your swap. Hope to see you around town.

Arktikos

Explorer

OK, so maybe that's why the engine had been running rough for so long. Was this first time head gasket had blown to your knowledge, or did you have records of the HG recall being done in the past?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Multiple sizes and styles were made. There is a website out there somewhere dedicated to the used Wildernest market.
They made about a dozen different sizes. None of them were custom fit but designed to fit a range of vehicles, small truck regular and long, full size regular and long box, etc.

Tonight I built a rolling base for the wildernest. This will make it easy to maneuver in and out of the garage while I work on it. Since the thing is so damn heavy, I also installed a hand winch on my garage rafter to lift the wildernest off of the truck and onto the base.

LOL, we all come up with ways to move our 'Nests, don't we?

IMG_3361_thumb.jpg

You're going down a familiar path!

wrt_40_sm_mid.jpg

rubithon_29_alt.jpg

I ran 5.29 (with Air Lockers) with 33" tires. It was sweet as long as you didn't need to get anywhere quick on the Interstate. I ran SDORI ball joint spacers, never ran a diff drop and Budbuilt skids. Suspension was Sway-A-Way 25mm torsions and OME Dakars with extra leaf. I did have a 4.7 Marlin gear set for a while but sold it when I built it down.

Went back to 4.10 gears and 30" tires, took the BJ spacers out and the extra leaf. It was hard on our dog to get in and out of the back with it lifted so tall and he took a spill and that was it. So it was stock for the last couple of years I had it. It was just getting tired, 300K of hard won miles.

One of the top 3 biggest mistakes of my life selling it, but I didn't have anywhere to work on it or the time to rebuild it. I needed a truck that I could drive. Live and learn I guess.

Last edited:

Nikkshepherd

Observer
OK, so maybe that's why the engine had been running rough for so long. Was this first time head gasket had blown to your knowledge, or did you have records of the HG recall being done in the past?

Original to my knowledge. Well maintained motor though, I was surprised it blew.

I suspect because he needed to get out of Spokane and someplace else. Tough to piece together a 3.4L swap when you're on your way home for Christmas!

Precisely.

Trying to find a shop to take it to at 11pm during the holidays was enough of a struggle. On top of that, we broke down in a town called Ritzville that has 0 amenities. Luckily there was a police officer who was kind enough to get us to a hotel, and then take us to Spokane in the morning after his shift to get a rental car! Dude saved my Christmas. Anyway, Truck is with a Toyota guy named Vic in Spokane who rebuilds the 3.0's often. Does the MLS gaskets and the whole 9. Should be done in a week or so for a hair over 1500. Toyota quoted $4500 for a 3.0 to start...

Someday ill do a 3.4., or a cummins diesel. For now, though, ill just be excited to have her back on the road.

Damn that sucks. I just saw you're local. I would've helped you out with your swap. Hope to see you around town.

Oh nice man! what do you drive? Where at in Tacoma are you?

c8k3WwY.jpg

Last edited:

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Update

Its been a few months since my last update because the truck is still sitting in a mechanics garage in Spokane WA... 2 months later. :(

His original projected timeline for the rebuild was 2 weeks but due to some family issues and the weather... Ive been without my truck for two months. I only went with this guy because he was local to where the truck broke down, and didn't cost 4k for a 3.0 rebuild.

Anyway. On a positive note, the Wildernest is nearing completion. Hoping to get the truck back in a week or so. Fingers crossed.

0Xtjw8X.jpg

dFtUXyz.jpg

xwuxYQR.jpg

jHuaBD9.jpg

MAorl6Z.jpg

Last edited:

O.B.A.K

I know how those timelines can shake down. My build was projected for under a month ended up taking four, pretty painful. Nest looks great!

Nikkshepherd

Observer
rURJSgk.jpg

Body filler evened out, and entire camper sanded/primed again. Hardware and window trim painted yesterday.

I’ll be doing the basecoat with white plastidip because in my experience, it seems to give a more even and uniform appearance compared to rattle can lacquer. I’ll then spray it with clear.

Still need to source some trim and a rear window. Seems as if both are hard to come by online. Especially the window, as the camper is a 30 year old relic. Tried finding something universal but found nothing. Planning to hit the pick and pull next weekend to search.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles