Light weight drawer system?

ssssnake529

Explorer
My vehicle is an 80 Series Cruiser.

I've been looking at drawer systems for a while now.

The thing that has really prevented me from pulling the trigger has been the worry about adding more weight to my rig.

Really like the Trekboxx drawers and similar, but not sure the organizational capacity and convenience is worth another 200 pounds of weight.

Currently I'm using Bundu boxes for my organization, a Kanz Kitchen for cooking, and just kind of throwing big items into the truck. I've got tie downs that keep the Bundu boxes and fridge from flopping around.

A fridge slide would be super nice to have. (Right now, I'm just manhandling my fridge in and out of the back.) Would also be nice to not have easier access to everything, and not have tie and untie everything when securing it for travel or trying to access it.

Are there high quality, lightweight options out there (I'm not a do-it-yourselfer) that won't add 200 pounds to my load? (Or should I just not worry about it and get the Trekboxx system.)

This is my current set up. No extra weight, but not super convenient.
attachment.php

Last edited:

southpier

Expedition Leader
for the money (& weight), you might find someone locally who could build what you need and save a little of both. not always necessary to kill a mouse with a sledgehammer.

dbrinkmann

Observer
for the money (& weight), you might find someone locally who could build what you need and save a little of both. not always necessary to kill a mouse with a sledgehammer.

swing by Denver, i can show you how to build one. my build is on here

otis24

Observer
I built one for my Tacoma out of 1"x. 1/16 wall thickness tubing .030 aluminum sheet metal. It's held together with brackets and about 400 rivets. I researched how small diy airplanes are built and copied that technique.
It's topped with 3/8" plywood.

It's total weight is 55 pounds and it's strong as hell.

I have a plywood drawer on one side that I'd like to replace with a drawer made the same way as the rest of the platform. I use plastic bins on the other side.

My previous platform was 3/4" plywood and weight 150 pounds. I turned it into a campfire.

I built one for my Tacoma out of 1"x. 1/16 wall thickness tubing .030 aluminum sheet metal. It's held together with brackets and about 400 rivets. I researched how small diy airplanes are built and copied that technique.

I have a plywood drawer on one side that I'd like to replace with a drawer made the same way as the rest of the platform. I use plastic bins on the other side.

My previous platform was 3/4" plywood and weight 150 pounds. I turned it into a campfire.

pics?

fireball

Explorer
I'd like to know some actual weights and photos of these lighter weight systems. 1/2" Baltic birch ply, strategically cut to shave weight wherever possible makes for a very nice, sturdy system. It will weigh a bit more than some other systems but with anything there are PROs and CONs.

rayra

Expedition Leader

greg.potter

Adventurer

Any photos, sketches or other details now that you've got our attention?

Air Down Gear Up

Hi Guys,

Jumping in here to provide some feedback on a system for the 100 series landcruiser that is right in-line with this thread. Me and a fellow 100 series owner developed this specifically to address this need: Enhanced storage options without losing too much vehicle flexibility or adding a lot of weight. This system is modular, and available in a lot of configurations, up to a full sleeper, storage platform and drawer system all coming in at about 120 pounds total. As i was saying, this is modular, and can be dialed in for your specific preference; No drawers, a single drawers, dual drawers, sleeper, no sleeper, etc. All either unfinished or bedlined, depending on budget, weight requirements, etc. Pictures shown are for a bedlined, platform+sleeper+single drawer setup.

20170809_072626.jpg20170809_072626.jpg20170809_110542.jpg

I can provide more detail, we also have a website for more information: airdowngearup.com

shoredreamer

Observer
My setup I built for my 80 includes 2 huge drawers and fridge house. It is about 110#. All 12mm Russian birch and 2 medium weight slides for the fridge. Drawers use UHMW tape instead of metal IMG_2240.jpgIMG_2232.jpgIMG_2237.jpgIMG_2234.jpg

My buddy just got some Landshark Outfitters KISS drawers in his 80 today and they emphasize simplicity and weight. They use 16mm birch and 80/20 hardware. Think they come out to 110# too.123_2.jpg123_2.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
ooh, how's that tape holding up, how's its adhesion? I'm concerned the weight in the drawers will jus tcause it to smear out of place. Staple it?

I want to use it on my drawers but I haven't got around to it yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles