Apple's HEIC image format

haven

Expedition Leader
With iOS 11, Apple gives the option to use a new format called HEIC to store images on the iPhone and iPad. HEIC promises to reduce by about half the amount of storage space an image requires, without losing image quality.

Today, only the latest Apple devices can open and view HEIC images: iPhone 7 and newer, iPad Pro, and Mac desktops running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.

iOS 11 gives you the choice to use HEIC or JPEG file format. Read more about that choice here
https://www.macworld.com/article/32...-about-these-new-video-and-photo-formats.html

IPhone is, by several measures, the most widely used camera world-wide. There are technical advantages to using HEIC over JPEG. So it's likely that HEIC support will become widespread. In the meantime, there are several ways to convert from HEIC to JPEG. You'll have to convert HEIC files to JPEG to post to Expedition Portal, for example.

Several online services offer free conversion. One is named www.heictojpg.com. Dropbox also can convert HEIC files to JPEG when you upload them.

Finally a real implementation of middle out compression released to the masses

6a00d8341c4f9453ef01a3fd095a0b970b-pi

Kmakser

With iOS 11, Apple gives the option to use a new format called HEIC to store images on the iPhone and iPad. HEIC promises to reduce by about half the amount of storage space an image requires, without losing image quality.

Today, only the latest Apple devices can open and view HEIC images: iPhone 7 and newer, iPad Pro, and Mac desktops running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.

iOS 11 gives you the choice to use HEIC or JPEG file format. Read more about that choice here
IPhone is, by several measures, the most widely used camera world-wide. There are technical advantages to using HEIC over JPEG. So it's likely that HEIC support will become widespread. In the meantime, there are several ways to convert from HEIC to JPEG. You'll have to convert HEIC files to JPEG to post to Expedition Portal, for example.
Several online services offer free conversion. One is named. from this tutorial you also can convert HEIC to JPEG when you upload them.
Thanks ,HEIC brings many convenience to iPhone users, It can reduce half of the storage space required for images ,And that appeals to me,but as with traditional iOS devices, it can't support phones other than the iPhone,

Last edited:

Yilia

Hello,dear expedition leader, thank u for your sharing with us about Apple's HEIC image format. I am also an iPhone user who knows HEIC clearly. As what u said, HEIC images can only be compatible with iOS 11 operating system and macOS High Sierra, which cause a big headache to our iPhone users who want to open and view HEIC images on ther devices. Moreover, I also know the above converters mentioned by u. Each one has its own attractive points. But have tried some of them, I find I like one offline converting tool best. That is Joyoshare HEIC Converter. It is professional and full-featured with multiple output formats and two different conversion methods. Here some friends who are interested in it can learn more anout it or feel free to ask me if there is some questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles