Custom roller shades for vehicle windows?

Haraald

Observer
I'm tired of messing around with my foam window inserts that take up a bunch of space, does anyone sell any roller shade type blinds for all the interior windows of a vehicle, including the windshield? Or just a basic well-built blind I could mount then cut the size of the window it's covering? Thanks

rayra

Expedition Leader
How about an RV-style windshield fabric covers and some velcro tabs?

Are you after total light blocking or are you just after some visual privacy?

But I'm curious about the foam you used, how thick is it? I would think the very thin foam / foil underlayment for manufactured wood flooring would be just the thing, as it would take very little storage space.

goatherder

no trepidation
Well, I don't know if this is helpful or not, but this is what I did.

I found some canvas like material that I thought would work for curtains at my local Walmart. Where else? I cut it out a little larger than the window, and fold over the side and sewed them up for finished edge. I then apply the script of 1 inch wide magnetic tape all the way across the top. Got that at Walmart too. Super glued the ends because Tate doesn't stick to fabric very well. Now I can just stick them up on the frame above the window when I want privacy.

For storage, I roll them around a piece of 3 inch PVC pipe, rubber band them, and strap them up to the side wall along with the lawn chairs and beach tent

Choff

Adventurer
Check out Home centers for sun blocking shades that roll, you should be able to get any size and have them cut down to your sizes

Haraald

Observer
For storage, I roll them around a piece of 3 inch PVC pipe, rubber band them, and strap them up to the side wall along with the lawn chairs and beach tent

Clever idea, but for me the more time I spend in my vehicle the less patient I become with little tasks and having 'stuff' around... hence my preference for having a permanently mounted roller I can just pull the shade out of in one movement.

Haraald

Observer
Check out Home centers for sun blocking shades that roll, you should be able to get any size and have them cut down to your sizes

I thought about that; usually the home blinds have rollers that are way too large in diameter though... I need something that rolls up to no more than like an inch in diameter so it fits in the window cavity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94