Colossal 2017 - The Canadian Wild.

rickashay

Explorer
\ PART 3 \

Day 2. Our camp begins to come to life around 8am, with everyone except Ian waking up and starting an easy breakfast. We leave Ian sleeping in the truck knowing he was up for nearly 48 hours to make it to the event…and a few too many drinks before bed. We converse and walk around camp enjoying the amenities of this amazing spot. As the clocks rolls around and Ian gets up, we bring the group together for our first official “drivers meeting”. Now with everyone present, we do all the formal introductions and discuss some of our basic rules of the trail – leave the guys behind you in your sight, stay on the trail and avoid disrupting any vegetation off the trail (especially when we get above the treeline), and never be afraid to ask for a spot or a helping hand. We outline the route for the day with about 100 kms of gravel travel before hitting the trailhead. Before the group breaks, we do our first morning raffle – for the Element fire pit.

20170924-_MG_2229 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Element by RA Motorsports is a new fabrication company out of Edmonton who focuses on building stout equipment that can be utilized to help us enjoy the beautiful outdoors. They offer a variety of products from skid plates and sliders to some very cool camping equipment -like their puzzle fire pit we are giving away. I have used one before and they work exceptionally well, even coming with a grille insert for the top of the fire pit to cook on. We fire up the Chwazi app to select our winner. The random sounds and colours bounce around until one of the fingers laid on the screen is selected at random. Digital fortune favours Kevin as he walks away with the fire pit. We then head for the vehicles and prepare for departure – Chase and Dallas already setup with the RED camera for a couple camp departure shots.

20170923-_08I4476 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
The RED in full glory.

The gravel road leading to the trailhead is a beautifully kept section of road. Speeds of 100+ km/hr are easily and safely achievable so we allow the group distance to spread out for some safety margin and dust avoidance. I take point with my radio ready to communicate any obstructions in advance. We blast through the river valley, taking in the riverbank views as the forest gives way and the view becomes available. Maybe having a little too much fun, I wind down my speed and start looking for the location for our surprise challenge. I notify the group that we will be stopping once I am confident in the current piece of road. The winner of the challenge will receive a pair of Baja Design Squadron LED's. I have been using Baja Design products on my personal rig for several years. The craftsmanship, customer service, and ability to dial in and/or service each light makes them ideal for vehicles that will see an array of conditions. I've had my lights set up for both amber snow-storm mode or wide open highway distance patterns – the ability to vary them so much is priceless.

The challenge – a drag race! We choose this as our challenge knowing full well that every rig here has been logically & meticulously setup for a variety of circumstances, terrain, and uncertainty. Setting them up for a straight line pull however, was probably never in the cards! We set up spotters at either end of the straight and wide stretch of road. A line is drawn in the gravel to mark both ends of the “track”. We have an official timer, flag dude (me in a bikini… JK), and scouts. We learn the hard way to stay off the radio and get our communication dialled in. Each attendee tries a different strategy to propel their heavy beast to top speed. We have a variety of motors – inline 6, V6's, and V8's as well as some fully armoured expo rigs and some light weight simple builds. Some with gear reduction, some without. The group enjoys the unpredictable challenge and we laugh at how surprisingly close each time is. With everyone at the finish line, I even line up for a pull of my own. The 4.7 screams to life making way more sound than its output in velocity. I feel confident but some of the lighter rigs may still have the advantage. The results are in and Cody takes 1st place in his 98' 4Runner on 285's with the automatic and factory gears. He chirps us all about his awkwardly fast(?) setup as he takes the walk of victory to come over and grab the lights. Props Cody!

No pics of the drag race because I was too busy waving the flag and chatting on the radio. Instead, a couple shots of some of the people who make these adventures so good:

20170923-_08I4482 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
Terry snapping some pics - this guys raises the bar in excitement. Never seen such a good trundler before.

20170924-_MG_2316 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
Trevor, owner of Kootenay Mountain Works

20170923-_08I4471 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
Our good pal Dallas of The Real Pool Service out of Vancouver.

20170923-_08I4469 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
My good bud Ian - he's been on every Colossal trip since before they were even called Colossal.

Back in our rigs and hauling down the backroad once again, we take a quick break at an iconic bridge and trout spawning area that we camped near on Colossal 2016. We park in a pullout near the river and grab lunch. As most of us eat, Cody takes the 20 minutes of downtime to flex his electrical skills and install his new lights. I put him on a “departure timer” but was unexpectedly impressed when we rolled back out to the road and saw his amber LED's burn to life. Within a couple minutes we were staging at the next trailhead.

20170924-_MG_2233 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
Group shot - check Cody working on the BD light install!

Gathered and assembled we started our ascent. The trail headed up in what looked to be an old logging cut road. We began to round the familiar switchbacks as we gained altitude. The trail was fairly wide and not terribly rough. A half dozen long switchbacks before the overgrowth on the trail started to show – the Alders fighting to re-claim what was once un-marked territory. We drive with caution and a little speed, dodging through the narrow points occasionally cringing at the sound of paint against branch.

20170923-_08I4498 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Everything is going smoothly when suddenly I hear a crackle on the radio “I think I have a flat”. John in the gorgeous Expo-AF Tundra is down a tire. A huge gash in the sidewall from what we would later find out to be a 14” log jammed inside the tire. Luckily John's truck is in a spot where an easy tire change is plausible. The group rallies at our first setback and within minutes it's like team Nascar is doing a pitstop. Cody is on the jack, Ian has the spare tire ready to swap on, and John works the impact gun. Literally a 5 minute trail swap – impressive gentlemen!

20170924-_MG_2235 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170924-_MG_2252 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
John running the impact on the quick tire swap.

We proceed without much caution trying to get through the tight alder and into the old growth. This trail new to even myself, does not disappoint. As we climb, the alder disappears and we find ourselves exposed in a vast avalanche chute. The foliage is spectacular with the neon yellow of the moss and mature Tundra, against the deep green pines, and aqua lake in the backdrop. A couple tight switchbacks give us a few pucker moments but nothing the group can't handle with some good spotting. As we carry onward the colors continue to impress – now red foliage is mixed with the moss and its like the whole color spectrum lies around us. We continue to climb until we reach the summit. A flat, rocky area overlooking the region we came from to the West and some more remote valleys and peaks to our East. The view is spectacular in 360 degrees!

20170923-_08I4501 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
The foliage finally turning from scratch alder, to wide open old growth.

20170923-_08I4515 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
What we've been waiting for... the views starting to open up.

20170923-_08I4526 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
The chute.

20170923-_08I4528 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170923-_08I4540 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170923-_08I4549 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
Photos do not do this place justice.

We break out Goose for some aerial shots before heading back down to explore another route that seems to follow the ridgeline. We have enough daylight to play for approximately another hour. The new directive is a shaley trail that traverses the mountain just below the ridge. It's exceptionally beautiful as we have such a mix of rock, old growth trees, and the stunning tundra. The scent of the fresh mountain air is almost too much to handle – truly imprinting the raw and untouched terrain in our minds as we slowly crawl through the backcountry. As far as the eye can see for the entire day, there is not another soul to be seen or any hint of civilization other than the trail itself. In my happy place I am nearly startled when I hear Kevin's voice on the radio “I think I have a flat”. Low and behold, we are lucky ( to a degree) once again… this trail is tight, barely allowing enough width for our vehicles to belong, especially when driving a wide LT Tacoma on 35's. One wrong move and your rolling down the mountain to the valley bottom below. Kevin happens to get a gash in his sidewall (presumably from one of the sharp shale rocks on the uphill side of the trail) in one of the few places safe to pull off a tire change. Bummed about his brand new tire being destroyed but thankful for a useable spare and a safe tire change, we continue on. We are greeting with several tricky manoeuvres where we must navigate awkward brush in order to pass, yet still remain on the trail. Soon we reach the trails plateau and are turned around by a washout and a very sketchy traverse – maybe good for a dirtbike but not our Toyotas (I mean - Toyota's and 1 Nissan)

20170923-_08I4564 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
On the summit.

20170924-_08I4613 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170924-_08I4632 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
Up in the clouds.

20170924-_MG_2306 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
Kevins minty Tacoma post flat tire repair.

20170924-_MG_2283 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170924-_MG_2266 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170924-_MG_2272 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
Chase having a giggle while Kevin get's his tire swapped.

Satisfied with the day we make the uneventful trip back down to the valley bottom. With little light left, the group makes the unspoken decision to make it down rather quickly… and we all get a chance to heat up and test our fancy suspension systems. I can only speak for myself here, but the Icon absorbers shine as a cruise down the rough, steep, and rocky terrain with ease. Hitting the od 2 foot drainage ditch at 40-60 km/hr, the truck soaks everything up with only minor grunts when the front end is fully compressed and the Toyo tires just knick the bottom of my flares. With breakneck speed we are back on the road and heading towards camp only a couple minutes away. Low and behold, one of my favourite campsites in the area remains unoccupied, giving the whole group a perfectly flat and grassy area to setup camp right on the edge of the deep blue lake.

20170924-_MG_2330 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
Dallas getting his first taste of offroad driving in the Tamarack Media Co. Tacoma, Bruce.

20170924-_08I4641 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr
Check those BD lights in action!

Camp life at Colossal is critical. It's as important as the trails themselves. Challenging yourself mentally during the day and also taking in spectacular scenery is only made better when you get to reflect on the experience with others at the end of the day. This day is no exception and another big camp feast is prepared by each party. We bounce around vehicle to vehicle chatting with everyone and sharing any supplies overlooked. It's dark but there is more than enough camp light to go around and we are all winding down by the fire in no time. A few evening laughs and antics have us in bed before it's too early in the morning… tomorrow brings a different pace to the trip but one I am looking foreword to.

/ Stay Tuned for Part 4 /

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
PICTURES -WOW!

if you guys plan on doing the Morrison trail next year, I've done it twice. Our local club does it every year and can offer insight or info. I've done it twice.

Thanks! I'll have to hit you up if we plan on heading south.

Always enjoy your trip reports. Beautiful photos as always.

Thanks for following along. Glad you can get a glimpse of the scenery through our photos! I know it's one of the main reasons I hang around Expo so much!

vonguido

Adventurer
Outstanding! Can’t wait for the rest of the report along with the video.
Addison top notch work by you and all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Ya there always seems to be one Nissan guy....LOL
Excellent report, Thanks for sharing.

Takes one to know one. I was looking to forward to this trip all summer, and it was worth it. I really enjoyed the group of guys, and the trails.

Simo_4x4

Adventurer
Always beautiful pics and very very beautiful scenery !!! I would like to come on holiday in this places once :)

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Ah this is where all the trip photos are at. Looks like a lot of fun. I need to get back to exploring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickashay

Explorer
Outstanding! Can’t wait for the rest of the report along with the video.
Addison top notch work by you and all involved.

Thanks for hanging in there! It's a lot of work indeed planning a trip like this, but absolutely worth it when it comes together and you know all that partake enjoy themselves. It's all about the good people in this "hobby" though, the views are just icing on the cake!

Ya there always seems to be one Nissan guy....LOL
Excellent report, Thanks for sharing.

Takes one to know one. I was looking to forward to this trip all summer, and it was worth it. I really enjoyed the group of guys, and the trails.

LOL I must admit I was/am pretty impressed with the Frontier... especially yours Trevor. Thanks again for joining, had a blast with you out there!

Always beautiful pics and very very beautiful scenery !!! I would like to come on holiday in this places once :)

Canada is worth the trek!

Ah this is where all the trip photos are at. Looks like a lot of fun. I need to get back to exploring.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for checking in Jose. Hopefully you can make it up here for next year ;)

... and now back to your regular programming, I've been slacking on getting the write up done. Although for good reason... we have had a few other video projects on the roll that we are wrapping up and even have a good rough cut of the Colossal 2017 video done. Oh and we bought a van somewhere in there. I'll have to post pics of that one day. lol

rickashay

Explorer
\ PART 4 \

Day 3. High cloud ceilings allow for ample light and the feeling of calm that only a morning in the mountains can provide. The lake remains still as glass as people begin to emerge from their sleeping quarters...some slower than others (guilty). Breakfast is cooked and the crowd prepares for the day ahead as Trevor whips a few flies at the lake. I make a mental note again how we all cook our food individually but it becomes a smorgasbord as you move truck to truck and are offered samples of each persons' fare. Stomachs full we head for the drivers meeting at the site picnic bench. This AM, David Wakely of Untitled Offroad presents everyone with some Untitled Offroad swag and a chance to win a killer Ghost Wild Truckruck, stitched with the new UO patch. The Truckruck is basically a Trasharoo on steroids – built and designed right in Calgary with a lot more thought than the ol' Trasharoo. We turn to our good friend Chwazi for another round of random finger draw. Terry walks away a winner, maintaining his always hilarious personality.

20170924-_08I4696 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_MG_2396 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Before we depart, the calm and crystal clear waters are more than some of us can take. We know this is the last opportunity before winter to go for a swim…. The water is cold now, but only getting worse by the day. Plus, after a couple days in the woods its always nice to have a reset rinse. 6 or 8 of us gear down to our shorts and rush the cold water. The water hits our bodies like a hammer, stealing the air from our lungs. We scream, yell, and carry on hoping the outbursts will enable us to endure the waters for longer. I dunk and swim out a good 15 feet before I'm headed back to the warmth of my towel. Freezing cold, I look over my shoulder to see Terry a good 100 feet away from shore and still paddling farther. Spending time surfing in Tofino appears to have payed off for him as his ability to withstand the cold water is unmatched. Once dry and back in the trucks, we turn Northwest with a solid 100kms of high speed gravel and some exploratory trails on the horizon.

The gravel blurs by. This area seemed to have received some rainfall so the ground is tacky and dust free. Our group tightens up slightly while still remaining a safe distance apart. The pursuit of speed pushing each driver close to the edge at least once. Some more literal than others. This road deploys several extremely tight hairpins, proceeded and followed by section upon section of chicanes and high speed bends. The ultimate pucker moment for myself showed when achieving a decently high rate of speed on a medium length straight. The slight left bend ahead approaching quickly. I drop down into 4th to help slow the heavy 4Runner. The left bend slightly upsetting the roll center before the next sharp right emerges unexpectedly. Now travelling too hot for the right corner, RickRunner starts to understeer. With too much momentum I am not on course to make the corner as I head for the edge of the road (which happens to drop-off several hundred feet to the river bottom below). At the last instant, I give the brakes a quick, sharp jab to transfer some weight onto the front wheels before deploying full throttle. My plan works and the 4Runner begins to rotate with the front wheels planted and the rear sliding around in the direction I need the vehicle to go. Now moving down the road in the right direction I am faced with a very short straight before a tight hairpin. I pull off throttle and attempt the classic Swedish Flick coming into the hairpin. My plan works again, displaying a controlled 4 wheel-powerslide around the hairpin and out the exit. My hero moment for the trip, I'm not sure I'd want to try pulling off that sequence again. Especially without changing my underwear...

20170924-_08I4653 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_08I4759 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_MG_2406 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_MG_2398 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

We continue onward at a playful speed, stopping shortly in Trout Lake for lunch upon the pier. With daylight receding sooner than the peak summer months, we continue onward. A mix of smooth gravel and asphalt allow us to relax a little as Chase and Dallas maneuver around the group for some classic rolling shots of each rig. The pace is easy as we turn off the “main road” and head towards the prospective trail. We meander alongside the aqua blue river, catching slight glimpses of the vibrant color while travelling under an equally impressive canopy of old growth. Mental note taken to return to this road when filming future auto projects – it's literally picture perfect. Before we know it, we are at a trailhead which we believe heads up to a local snowmobile cabin. The road and elevation gain look promising enough to make the attempt despite the complete unknown of the trail itself.

20170925-_08I4922 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_08I4785 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_08I4876 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Within minutes we are greeted with a gatekeeper obstacle – a narrow passage between boulders before a steep descent into the creek and immediately back up the other side. A deterrent for some, we are eager to tackle the obstacle. The boulders being sharp and close together have us discussing a quick winch setup to rotate one of the rocks enough to make the challenge more reasonable for the larger rigs (mine included). Mr. Wakely speaks up eager to try before the situation is altered. With a good line he attempts to work through the pinch in his wide FJZ80. Rim on rock we think he will be able to swing the truck around the rock angled directly for his passenger door. Dave creeps foreword with good finesse and only slight sheet metal-on-rock persuasion before he is free on the other side. Ian in the 98' 4Runner on 35's steps up – his narrow rig with a wide stance and tons of clearance makes quick work of the obstacle when coupled with his good driving technique and line. He doesn't even touch his sliders on the rock! The rest of us opt for the safer route with the right-hand rock slightly removed as to avoid body damage. A quick winch and the rock is rotated 6”, just enough to allow us through. One by one we tackle the obstacle stopping only for a couple good flex shots. The rest of the day progresses as one would expect. The road continues upward in a switch-back fashion allowing gorgeous views of the lake below. Unfortunatley the views are all that's provided, we hit a dead end at the top of the mountain with no cabin sighting. Further map investigation against our GPS tracks shows that an alternate trail we passed earlier is probably the way to the desired cabin. We enjoy the scenery regardless. It's the nature of exploring unknown terrain – take the enjoyment out of the current journey regardless of the expected outcome. We flag the other trail for the next exploration trip out in this area.

20170925-_MG_2415 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_MG_2433 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_MG_2418 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_MG_2421 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

We roll back down the mountain with our targets set on some backcountry hot springs in the next mountain range west. It's now mid day and we've been exploring for several days. The long bumpy road into the hot springs has us eager to hit the hot pools and sooth our backs and unwind a little as the trip nears its end. The group parks at the lot and we head down the steep, rooty trail down to the valley bottom. This trail is something out of a fairy-tale, the steps cut into the mountain remind me of the technical trail somewhere along Frodo's journey to dispose of the ring. Moss and dark forests all around us the sun just glancing through the pines. Once at the valley bottom another indication of nature's potential force. A massive chunk of the mountain had at one point in time broke off, now anchoring itself in the valley bottom. The rock measuring the size of a bus remains almost awkwardly placed amongst the poison-ivey covered ground. The trail continues to wind until the first series of hot pools are reached. We say hello to a couple in the pool but opt to head down to the river front and the next series of pools. Luckily we are the only ones at the site and we enjoy the nourishing waters to ourselves. After several days in the bush this is an extremely relaxing and refreshing experience. The hot water trickles out of the cliffside, filling the pools as our group converses. We reluctantly leave the comfort of the hot springs and make the hike out of the valley and back to our rigs.

20171028-_08I6262 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20171028-_08I6268 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20171028-_08I6254 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_08I4934 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Back towards town we vote for an easy dinner at a local pub. Kevin unfortunately loses the Chwazi (theme for the trip as you can tell) match to pickup the group's dinner tab. Just outside of town, one of my favourite Rec Sites lies next to a gorgeous mountain lake. Now with darkness upon us we head for the guaranteed camp site. A tight squeeze for our large group but an easy option considering the hour and our desire to get a fire going. The site host comes up to us surprised to see the high volume of modified trucks rolling into camp this late, but a kind gentleman who seems happy to let us cram into the limited camp slots remaining. We hit the sheets for the last time on Colossal 2017 – tomorrow morning everyone will part ways and head home.

20170925-_08I4953 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_08I4988 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

20170925-_08I5027 by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

/ Stay Tuned for the BONUS day /

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Reading that just reminds me of all the group trips I have done and how I'm missing it. I need to get out more but not before I clean up some unfinished projects on the truck lol. Can't wait to try all the new goodies I have added

JB87

Nice trip report and amazing pictures! Definitely have to check out that area, where are those hot springs?

Doc McCoy

Untitled Offroad
Nice trip report and amazing pictures! Definitely have to check out that area, where are those hot springs?

There are hotsprings sprinkled all over the Kootenays. Can't remember exactly how we got to these ones but we passed three just to get to them lol. Worthwhile getting the Backroads Mapbook. They do a pretty good job of listing the hot and warm springs in the area.

\ PART 4 \...

Hot damn. Some nice photos in there can't wait for the video. Since you've gone as far as I stuck around for ... I'll post some of my pics to show a little of the Colossal flavour from the back of the pack (aka the Tailgunners perspective).

\ Day 1 \ (Trying to keep it somewhat consistent with the chronological order)

37625489621_5b51ea7654_b.jpg

Attempting to patronize a local Kootenay coffee shop only to find it closed :(

37576819996_5d67bc63f8_b.jpg

A blurry pic of our fearless leader getting some pics of the convoy line-up

24407187618_5a9c086096_b.jpg

Tailgate meeting mid way to the fire lookout.

24407183078_b54a29a771_b.jpg

Kootenay / Trevor about to drop into the saddle with the fire lookout in the distance.

26502100259_9a769fbaaa_b.jpg

Getting closer!

\ Day 2 \

37576815516_47ec5f01ff_b.jpg

The perpetual view of a tailgunner on a dusty road. Chase kickin' up some dust from 1st gen 'Bruce'

38246078092_7c457a06b1_b.jpg

The Colossal Crew keeps climbing ...

37625485951_c3972527a3_h.jpg

One of the many Colossal views along Colossal.

38278158551_0cdc87d077_b.jpg

...and still climbing! Can't wait to see the drone footage from this area ...

\Day 3\

36954503903_ce880a53b5_b.jpg

Another angle on our campsite from night 2.

37366529170_8ce72195a5_b.jpg

Terry looks on as Rickashay guides Ian over some rocks!

36954498723_ca08b19914_b.jpg

The RickRunner piloted by Rickashay just a little past the previously shown rock pile.

36914836404_13fab445e0_b.jpg

Chase doing his dance with Bruce through the rocks.

37625463681_2a58b7d846_b.jpg

Climbing to some more sweet views. Might be my favourite shot I took on this trip. Love how mysterious the Kootenays seem with the mist and the low hanging clouds.

36955535294_cb9f71dd99_b.jpg

On the way down I stopped to take some glamour shots of the rig. Here's one that turned out okay.

37625457121_636928e0a0_b.jpg

Left my camera in Cody's rig and when going back through the pictures on the computer I found a few candid shots that Cody took. Thankfully no junk shots, just some model posing from Terry.

\Home Day\

Didn't go on the bonus day, so this is another spot where our pics differ. Spectacular drive home up the west kootenays and back east along the Transcanada.

36914828074_d22cc2fd09_b.jpg

Waiting for the ferry.

37625454111_2783595042_b.jpg

Still waiting ...

36914826524_5330e747ed_b.jpg

Still waiting ... at least the area is covered with rocky beaches that people, previous to us, have taken the time to stack rocks all over.

37625452221_3eddda4325_b.jpg

Finally on the ferry.

37625449811_a739fd468b_b.jpg

Almost off the ferry. Maxine is lying on the deck of the ship with Cody and Kevin, clearly happy to be away from me for a bit. :D

37567004984_9fa0450497_b.jpg

And near the end of a long drive home. Still amazing views along the TransCanada on the way home.

Once again, big thanks to Rickashay and Tamarack Media Co for putting on a great set of trails. Hoping I have a chance to get on the next one and hoping to see a few of you guys there as well. :D

Chaser88

Observer
There are hotsprings sprinkled all over the Kootenays. Can't remember exactly how we got to these ones but we passed three just to get to them lol. Worthwhile getting the Backroads Mapbook. They do a pretty good job of listing the hot and warm springs in the area.

Hot damn. Some nice photos in there can't wait for the video. Since you've gone as far as I stuck around for ... I'll post some of my pics to show a little of the Colossal flavour from the back of the pack (aka the Tailgunners perspective).

\ Day 1 \ (Trying to keep it somewhat consistent with the chronological order)

37625489621_5b51ea7654_b.jpg

Attempting to patronize a local Kootenay coffee shop only to find it closed :(

37576819996_5d67bc63f8_b.jpg

A blurry pic of our fearless leader getting some pics of the convoy line-up

24407187618_5a9c086096_b.jpg

Tailgate meeting mid way to the fire lookout.

24407183078_b54a29a771_b.jpg

Kootenay / Trevor about to drop into the saddle with the fire lookout in the distance.

26502100259_9a769fbaaa_b.jpg

Getting closer!

\ Day 2 \

37576815516_47ec5f01ff_b.jpg

The perpetual view of a tailgunner on a dusty road. Chase kickin' up some dust from 1st gen 'Bruce'

38246078092_7c457a06b1_b.jpg

The Colossal Crew keeps climbing ...

37625485951_c3972527a3_h.jpg

One of the many Colossal views along Colossal.

38278158551_0cdc87d077_b.jpg

...and still climbing! Can't wait to see the drone footage from this area ...

\Day 3\

36954503903_ce880a53b5_b.jpg

Another angle on our campsite from night 2.

37366529170_8ce72195a5_b.jpg

Terry looks on as Rickashay guides Ian over some rocks!

36954498723_ca08b19914_b.jpg

The RickRunner piloted by Rickashay just a little past the previously shown rock pile.

36914836404_13fab445e0_b.jpg

Chase doing his dance with Bruce through the rocks.

37625463681_2a58b7d846_b.jpg

Climbing to some more sweet views. Might be my favourite shot I took on this trip. Love how mysterious the Kootenays seem with the mist and the low hanging clouds.

36955535294_cb9f71dd99_b.jpg

On the way down I stopped to take some glamour shots of the rig. Here's one that turned out okay.

37625457121_636928e0a0_b.jpg

Left my camera in Cody's rig and when going back through the pictures on the computer I found a few candid shots that Cody took. Thankfully no junk shots, just some model posing from Terry.

\Home Day\

Didn't go on the bonus day, so this is another spot where our pics differ. Spectacular drive home up the west kootenays and back east along the Transcanada.

36914828074_d22cc2fd09_b.jpg

Waiting for the ferry.

37625454111_2783595042_b.jpg

Still waiting ...

36914826524_5330e747ed_b.jpg

Still waiting ... at least the area is covered with rocky beaches that people, previous to us, have taken the time to stack rocks all over.

37625452221_3eddda4325_b.jpg

Finally on the ferry.

37625449811_a739fd468b_b.jpg

Almost off the ferry. Maxine is lying on the deck of the ship with Cody and Kevin, clearly happy to be away from me for a bit. :D

37567004984_9fa0450497_b.jpg

And near the end of a long drive home. Still amazing views along the TransCanada on the way home.

Once again, big thanks to Rickashay and Tamarack Media Co for putting on a great set of trails. Hoping I have a chance to get on the next one and hoping to see a few of you guys there as well. :D

Great photos Dave!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles