Camping vs Emergency equipment

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just a quick thought on an earlier post regarding shutting off your electrical and gas: My mom, who started her insurance broker career "way back" in the insurance company my grandfather started in the 40s (and is still in business), advised that UNLESS you have earthquake insurance, if your home experienced significant damage during a quake, ya might wanna leave the gas on. Clear the area of course! But if the home catches fire, you will be covered under your fire insurance... (FYI)
True except most wood structures built in the last 50yrs rarely have more than minor damage. And most people are way under insured so focused on the lowest monthly cost they kinda miss the point of having insurance. Quake insurance isnt worth it, for s fraction of the cost we simply upgrade our properties regarding sheer walls, bolting strapping etc when we do a big project every few yrs.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
True except most wood structures built in the last 50yrs rarely have more than minor damage. And most people are way under insured so focused on the lowest monthly cost they kinda miss the point of having insurance. Quake insurance isnt worth it, for s fraction of the cost we simply upgrade our properties regarding sheer walls, bolting strapping etc when we do a big project every few yrs.

My understand is the California Goverment is dying to get rid of the old structures and once they crack they will condem them and remove the Certificate of Occupancy. Can't you get a high deductible catastrophic policy that is cheaper? The ring of fire has moved everywhere but California. Might be a good time to look at those policies again for something cheaper.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My understand is the California Goverment is dying to get rid of the old structures and once they crack they will condem them and remove the Certificate of Occupancy. Can't you get a high deductible catastrophic policy that is cheaper? The ring of fire has moved everywhere but California. Might be a good time to look at those policies again for something cheaper.
Nope realestate is to costly and CA is short on housing far far from ever being able to remove old structures. All our brick houses have already been knocked down. My 1920's SF property gets upgrades every few yrs, it built out of blood red heart wood Redwood that will never be seen again in construction. Its not going anywhere and will get upgrades with sheer walls and other modern stuff every few yrs. Its a condo in a 2 unit building no quake insurance for Multi unit buildings. We as in the two owners simply have a replacement value policy on the building.

Even 1960's houses here were built with bolted foundations and sheer walls. Its the 30's and 40's houses built during tough times that generally need lots of help. Many of those in pricy areas get torn down and replaced given its cheaper to do that vs try to renovate or expand them.

altaboy

Observer
I'm sure the following has been addressed, but..

1) Water is your friend, how long can you survive w/o water versus food........

2) Gun: Well, we've some truly devastating, overwhelming disasters as of late. Note once have I seen reference to the need. If the s*&t hits the fan, we are typically all in it together. Plus, usually it's gun safety ignorance that causes harm (to oneself).

3) Driving: good luck. If in an urban area (me....SoCal), ain't going to happen. Me and 20 million other folks......., If in country side more than likely you have what you need on the spot. Plus....driving with the masses is more likely more risky than staying put.

Probably best advise i can throw (CERT, ski patrol, nurse as far as training here), keep all emergency stuff out of structures so you can get to it if structures collapse. If you lucky enough to have a dedicated rig ready to go, keep all that stuff in it. May not go anywhere, but at least the rig might be available when you finally emerge from initial devistation. Nugget: Keep a set of work/heavy boots & head lamp next to bed!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
A elder family member got the GTFO door knock at 5am today. Cell service is down all we know is they evacuated to a shelter. Santa Rosa fires.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Update
Grandma got out with a neighbor. Two nights in the car due to over crowded evac centers. I was able to go get her. Due to downed power lines and lost cell towers they had no idea how bad it was info was very hard to get and other than 4 short texts over 48hrs they were in the dark and we were only aware they got out. Shes been glued to the news since and just amazed how bad it is.

News via twitter her house is safe so far.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I wonder what lessons people caught in the Santa Rosa fires can give. The prepper videos online always seem a bit distracted by how to protect yourself from "wasteland raiders" and the world without rule of law.

Seeing those suburban homes go up is a reminder that real natural disasters are much more frequent than the collapse of civilization. Makes me think less emphasis on guns, knives, and "tactical flashlights" and more what some people mentioned here: Being able to "Grab and Go" when life goes from stable to EVACUATE! in just a few minutes. Getting loved ones gathered up and out of harm. And having a method to communicate your safety or evacuation location to friends or relatives you weren't able to get to before you had to leave.

I've also heard stories of people not being able to safely evacuate panicked pets that jump out of their arms and run into the wilderness. An end of the world "Mad Max" scenario I wouldn't worry since it's personal survival at any cost. But in the more realistic natural disaster scenarios Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Puerto Rico, and California have had to deal with, it's a very real concern. A simple pet carrier could be a better family emergency investment than a knife that can "baton" wood.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I can give some feed back.
First off the night of disaster was a GTFO grab bag and run as fast as you can in a couple of areas. This was primarily due to the 50-70mph winds that blew the wild fire through several neighborhoods like a giant flame thrower.

My 95 yr old grandmother who is all there and a pretty tough lady did the GTFO at 1am Sunday with basically her purse, clothes she tossed on in a rush, and by random her bathrobe, which came in handy later when she slept in her car two nights. It got chilly and the bath robe worked as a blanket.

The evac center was full when they arrived at 1:40am.

So the biggest issue was zero communication beyond the “Get Out order” and go to the Fair Grounds. Cell service was trashed towers wiped out, power grid was destroyed so no online hot spots or TV news which was actually very very limited even days later given the news crews basically parked next to 101 and reported the same crap over and over again about two small burned out areas.

It wasnt till Tuesday when she headed south on 101 with a neighbor who had family in Sonoma. They had no idea Sonoma was under fire threat also. First cell contact was during this drive south. I scrambled and drove into Sonoma arriving about the same time they did. Picked up Grandma and left Sonoma as fast as we could, more road closures and evacuations were happening that evening on Tuesday with even more Wednesday.

It wasnt till I got her totally out of the area to my home to see the news that she realized how bad it was.

Radio station reception in those valleys is poor to zero by the way. So very little could be effectively broadcasted to evacuees.

The biggest issue? Thousands of people stayed in the general area too long vs getting out! Many kept trying to go back home having no idea that it was still a raging out of control mess with more people every day being chased out.

A few ah ha things. When the stuff really hits the fan neighbors waking neighbors and getting each other OUT !!!! Is far far more effective than a single Sheriff Deputy trying to wake and get an entire neighborhood up and out in 10 minutes or less.

The folks who sought an official evac order even by the over loaded 911 system didnt get out. Many only survived by jumping in pools and letting it burn right over them. Tip! Toss deck furnature into the pool so you can stand in the center of the deep end if thats the farthest from major structures burning etc. hanging onto the side will burn the crap out of your hands and arms. A wet towel or shirt to hold over your head keeps the heat from cooking your head.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The folks who had rv like accomidations had them stored in unaffected areas storage lots, repair facility etc, and could go get them after the initial get out event.

Also the winds blew down trees and power lines which trapped people trying to drive out as things around them went up in flames.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
I wonder what lessons people caught in the Santa Rosa fires can give. The prepper videos online always seem a bit distracted by how to protect yourself from "wasteland raiders" and the world without rule of law.

Same as any real natural disaster. It teaches people that 10k rounds of .223 and five ar15's you were told you just had to have doesn't make a nutritious meal, shelter you, keep you warm and so on. I worked disaster recovery during katrina, sandy, harvey, irma etc. The two biggest takeaways I got doing that job in the US was watching people come to the realization that a) the government doesn't give a **** about you and you are truly on your own b) how meaningful a single bottle of clean drinking water really is for people that live in a on demand society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94