Camping vs Emergency equipment

ikk

Adventurer
sorry for the long post. just wanted to get my thoughts across.

With all that is going on it the world, TX, FL, Mexico, the Caribbean. It got me thinking. I live in SoCal and what happened in Mexico can happen here. I have been planning for such an issue for years. As a kid I lived through the 94 Northridge quake. Unfortunately my parents were not ready. Although our house sustained minimal damage we were without electricity and gas for almost a week. Our neighbors made a fire pit out front and people in the neighborhood brought stuff to cook so it wouldn't spoil.
I have two kids, and seeing all the devastation I don't want to be one of those people that when something happens I am caught with my pants down. Seeing everyone fleeing an area barely moving for days in FL, and these are people that had many days notice. If we were to have a large catastrophic earthquake here I could see roads being closed due to many issues and may need to stay put in an area for a week or longer. Now of course we cannot know everything that will happen, and to what extent but I would like to be as prepared as possible. Some of the things I have accumulated over the years, as well as some things I have done. Now some of the things I have done may end up being demolished due to I am not trying to make my life inconvenient for the sake of a natural disaster that may or may not happen. i.e. I have two chest freezers in the garage on is converted to a fridge and requires little energy. If my garage falls I may lose my freezer and fridge.

Now some of the things that I have accumulated as well as may need to upgrade in the future.
I do have a 4x6 expdition trailer that will have 98% of my emergency/camping equipment this thing is built like a tank and sits in the back of the yard. It should be ok withstanding an earthquake.
within the trailer I have the following:
Propane heater
All things required to make meals as well as freeze dried food for a week for four.
All things required to sleep
4 Goal Zero lights that take 1 amp each
12 volt electric shower and Shower/bathroom tent
Bucket with toilet seat and toilet chemicals and toilet paper
Tent
screened tent
Volcano BBQ that can use Propane/wood/or charcole
flashlights
60 watt solar panel /want to upgrade
34 Amp hour portable battery with all types of connections with battery charger to charge flashlight batteries
Basic First aid kit
14 gallons of spare gas for Generator or Car

I do have a detached 10X12 office in the back about 50ft from the main house that if left unharmed could be our temporary living. If not the tent will suffice.
Now in this office I do have some emergency supplys
240AH battery debating on placing in Trailer. I think overkill for camping
portable DC fan
10 amp hour Lithium battery/ also use for camping
110 gallons of fresh water.
2000 watt generator inverter

I may of missed something above but overall it should be mostly there.
Things I think I need to add and please help if a miss anything
In the trailer maybe have a few days of clothing
toiletries like toothpaste and toothbrush. not sure how that would hold up to outside heat and cold.
maybe a few board and card games. we typically have those in the house and take them with us when going on a trip.
Emergency band radio

Last edited:

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
sounds like you are more than ready...but here are some things that i implemented.. on top of food and shelter...

Know where your water, electrical, and gas shut off valves are and how to turn them off...
contact out of state to let relatives know how you and family are doing.....
Ham radio for communication...
Discuss action plan with family for what to do when the big one hits.....

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The biggest gap I see in disaster preparedness is a solid strategy for getting everyone back together if they are separated when disaster strikes. A lot of the time people seem to have a great plan to survive in terms of gear, etc, but seem to assume for some reason that everyone will be together when/if something happens.

ikk

Adventurer
The biggest gap I see in disaster preparedness is a solid strategy for getting everyone back together if they are separated when disaster strikes. A lot of the time people seem to have a great plan to survive in terms of gear, etc, but seem to assume for some reason that everyone will be together when/if something happens.

Very true, That one is always difficult. As I have two young kids 11 and 3 one is at school and one is at day care within a few blocks of each other. I am lucky enough to work at home and be a few miles from there school and could run/walk over there asap. My wife works at home and commutes depending on here daily scheduled. Unfortunately not close enough to walk about 30 to 45 min by car depending on traffic. But she would be close to my parents and could probably get to there house as worse case.

As for communications I wouldn't rely on cell phones but I do have a corded phone for emergencies. But with all my family members moving to VOIP it would only work if internet is up.

Yes I do have a 2000 watt Generator/Inverted. updated post
Yes thanks to Christmas decorations the extension cords are covered although I will move some to the office as a just in case situation.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Can you wade thru 4' of mud hauling your kids? Can you swim out of a fast moving creek full of debris. Can you carry your sick kid 6 miles to a medical tent? Can you dig thru a grueling two story collapsed house with a claw hammer to get to your wife and water? Your physical condition will keep you alive a lot longer than a tarp and generator. Most could not carry a kid a mile let alone hual 5 gallons of water 5 miles from a clean source when exhausted. You want to be ready then be in shape. Your body will be your best gear. After that is gasolene and water to get you through a week long traffic jam to Phoenix. Look and be capable so you can team up with others like you wanting out of the devistation. Good luck.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Very true, That one is always difficult. As I have two young kids 11 and 3 one is at school and one is at day care within a few blocks of each other. I am lucky enough to work at home and be a few miles from there school and could run/walk over there asap. My wife works at home and commutes depending on here daily scheduled. Unfortunately not close enough to walk about 30 to 45 min by car depending on traffic. But she would be close to my parents and could probably get to there house as worse case.

Yeah but have you actually tried to get back together, done a dry run? Where do you meet up? Who is staying in place, who is moving? What happens when somebody is 100 miles from home? The kids are on field trips and you are at the grocery store and your wife is at work, everyone is in different places and doesn't know where anybody else is? Because Murphy's Law says that is what is going to be the case. :)

Scoutn79

Adventurer
For food you could get freeze dried type foods such as Wize or others if that isn't what you have already done. Some can last up to 25 years, they aren't the tastiest but will keep your energy up.
A good water "purifier" not just a filter. You can go a long time with little to no food but not water...you have water but what if something happens to them? For lighting I have a Nokero solar light that I keep in the truck where it can get direct sun(about the size of a baseball or softball depending on which one you get), they put out a surprising amount of light are water proof and personal so you can go out with one and leave the rest with the family.
Possibly a multi-fuel camping/backpacking stove, if something happens to your propane these little stoves will burn just about any flammable liquid besides white gas, kero, gasoline, diesel, naptha etc if needed.
A personal choice is some form of personal/family protection, if things turn unruly you may have no other choice.

Darrell

ikk

Adventurer
https://m.costco.com/Emergency-Food-ARK-1-Month-Supply-390-Servings.product.100102033.html
Got one of these...
About 5 Jerry cans of water.
Two propane tanks.
Shelter and clothing in a 55 gal drum away from any structures...

Ready on the go Ham radios on all vehicles
As we will not be together when things go down..

if you mean Ham radio as needing a license to use, I may be down with that but I don't see the wife wanting that. The residential type walkie talkies don't have a very far range and are useless in Los Angeles.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Im in Northern CA I suspected Im older only by a few years. The concern of getting to family is the biggest issue. That and having basics enough for everyone for a week or so. Which isnt difficult to sort out if you've camped for a week with no food runs to the grocery store.

Think about the normal days how packed the roads are, how packed Costco is on a typical day. Then toss a natural disaster into that managed caos and you can imagine for at least 2 days any family members more than walking distance away should have a disaster plan for where work is etc. My wife can walk to s good friends home 20-30 minute walk from her office. She keeps old running shoes in her car given her work shoes wont work for that walk. Also water and cliff bars. I'm at the home office 8 min walk from the kids. The hardest thing to keep up is perishable goods that are mainly emergency foods stuffs, it just takes time to stay on top of it.

One thing to never forget. Traffic in the major metro areas will be complete locked up gridlock. Dont expect to drive anywhere. The 89 Quake Most of my coworkers sill at the office simply walked home. Same for many who were at the Ball park for the game.

Family in SoCal also walked home.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
if you mean Ham radio as needing a license to use, I may be down with that but I don't see the wife wanting that. The residential type walkie talkies don't have a very far range and are useless in Los Angeles.
yeah license radio required.. we both have them... i can communicate with buddy in Simi while I'm by Upland... they are worth so as long repeater is not down..

SoCal Tom

Explorer
What form is your 110 gallons of water? Can you put it in the back of the truck and bug out if needed? If you get natural gas leaks, or a chemical spill nearby you might need to pack up and get out, so make sure you are able if needed.
The FEMA website have a lot of good information www. ready.gov. Search for "make a kit" and they have a good checklist of the basics. I went to the dollar store and put together about a weeks worth of food with about $50. I tried to make sure the meals were things that we eat ( or very similar). Spaghetti noodles and a jar of sauce can keep a long time ,and are a nice comfort food, you get the idea....
I have about 35 gallons of water that can fit in my jeep/trailer if needed. I know from camping that we need about 4 gallons per day to drink/clean etc so we should be good for over a week with that. What can be ready to load, is ready. Other things like medication we keep stored together so it can be quickly packed. Check lists are already printed and stored in a central location for quick access.
Tom

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You will need to protect your assets from those who did not plan ahead and will want to take your stuff. I recommend a 9MM pistol and a 12 ga shotgun.

I also didn't see a battery operated AM/FM radio on your list. A Ham radio would be good and a CB just to cover all the bases.

Mosquito repellent, Bear spray for stray dogs and as a nonlethal against feral humans. Maybe some building supplies to board off broken windows, doors .

Hope this helps.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You will need to protect your assets from those who did not plan ahead and will want to take your stuff. I recommend a 9MM pistol and a 12 ga shotgun.

I also didn't see a battery operated AM/FM radio on your list. A Ham radio would be good and a CB just to cover all the bases.

Mosquito repellent, Bear spray for stray dogs and as a nonlethal against feral humans. Maybe some building supplies to board off broken windows, doors .

Hope this helps.
LoL
If your assests apear to be soo great you need a gun? You would need an army to fire more than just one gun. Best defence against looting is simply not parading around your assets like a cocktail waitress looking for tips.

If an angry mob wants your junk a gun wont stop em.

ikk

Adventurer
What form is your 110 gallons of water? Can you put it in the back of the truck and bug out if needed? If you get natural gas leaks, or a chemical spill nearby you might need to pack up and get out, so make sure you are able if needed.
The FEMA website have a lot of good information www. ready.gov. Search for "make a kit" and they have a good checklist of the basics. I went to the dollar store and put together about a weeks worth of food with about $50. I tried to make sure the meals were things that we eat ( or very similar). Spaghetti noodles and a jar of sauce can keep a long time ,and are a nice comfort food, you get the idea....
I have about 35 gallons of water that can fit in my jeep/trailer if needed. I know from camping that we need about 4 gallons per day to drink/clean etc so we should be good for over a week with that. What can be ready to load, is ready. Other things like medication we keep stored together so it can be quickly packed. Check lists are already printed and stored in a central location for quick access.
Tom

I have 2 55 gallon drums. I also have a variate of water jugs that I use for camping. If I had to leave with my truck I could carry probably just under 100 gallons in my truck if needed. it I take my 4x6 expedition trailer I could carry more as for food I use High Mountain freeze dried food that we use when we camp sometimes. We taste new ones and add it to the list if we like them. Also canned foods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles