lightweight panels

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
I am looking for an alternative to the 5/8 plywood deck I'm using as a shelf on my bedside.

I currently have it setup 59x59 inches, on top of 2 - 2x6's. I use it gain a larger surface on the slide above my wheel wells, but it weighs alot.

Is there an alternative polymer, aluminium, or composite panel I can find to cut the weight down? I can get a simple aluminium frame made, but finding the rigid panel is tougher.

It may only ever have 300lbs on it evenly distributed.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking about buying a used trifold tonneau cover and cutting the light panels out of it and using those, unless there is a 1 piece solution.

Hummelator

Adventurer
Ever thought about commercial overhead Door sections?
1 3/4' thick and if the load is evenly distributed it would support 300 LBS. At that size would wight between 55-60 LBS

spressomon

Expedition Leader
You can make very lightweight sleeping panels using a thin wall tubular aluminum frame with a thin plywood top. The frames can be pop riveted together, then rivet on the 1/4" plywood top. Another good option for the top is alumalite, one of my favorite materials. It is very rigid, so 5mm would be plenty.
http://www.laminatorsinc.com/sign-panels/products/alumalite

Curious to hear what do you do for edge treatment with honeycomb/Alumalite?

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
All good tips. Actually funny that my friend who owned a sign company recently suggested looking at that type of laminated panels.

I haven't solved it yet, but getting there. Thanks for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles