Custom RTT Mattress?

ttengineer

Adventurer
Does anyone out there know of any companies making custom or replacement RTT mattresses? I have the new Skycamp from iKamper and the mattress is abysmal at only 1" thick.

I've found these guys in CA but they are currently not making the mattress due to high shipping costs.

https://rvandoffroad.com/shop?olsPage=products/roof-top-tent-mattress&olsFocus=false

I also found these guys, but sadly they are in Australia.

https://darche.com.au/product/rtm-1400/

An inflatable mattress would be ideal but it would need to be at bare minimum 3" thick as I'm a side sleeper.

I unfortunately cant go with a mattress topper because my tent will not close properly.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I don't know anyone, but any auto or boat upholstery shop can probably cut you something using your old one as a pattern.

stingray1300

Explorer
I bought mine from RV and Off Road last year. Odd they wouldn't make them because of shipping (?). Just weird. I was never so happy with my Tepui as when I got rid of that awful foam mattress. (I had even added a 2" memory foam topper - and it was still awful. By morning, I always found my hips and shoulders close to the tent bottom, and thus very cold, and it made my joints ache - w/4.5" of foam! I'm a fit 6'-2", 220#, so I'm not heavy). Stay away from foam if you can, I mean, if you're buying a mattress anyway. I recommend a real mattress.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I bought mine from RV and Off Road last year. Odd they wouldn't make them because of shipping (?). Just weird. I was never so happy with my Tepui as when I got rid of that awful foam mattress. (I had even added a 2" memory foam topper - and it was still awful. By morning, I always found my hips and shoulders close to the tent bottom, and thus very cold, and it made my joints ache - w/4.5" of foam! I'm a fit 6'-2", 220#, so I'm not heavy). Stay away from foam if you can, I mean, if you're buying a mattress anyway. I recommend a real mattress.

How is that mattress? It's an odd design with those springs in it. Does it sleep well for side sleepers? Can you feel the coils?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH+D

In our ARB Simpson III a full sized mattress topper was a perfect mattress replacement. It's a dual layer, two density memory foam 4" thick. I bought it at one of the big box stores for under $100 and just use a full fitted sheet as a cover.

NoahGenda

Adventurer
I just pulled my mattress out of the CVT and took the whole thing into the local foam store. Mine is now 2" of a high density foam with 1" of soft low density on top. They cut it to size and put it back into the cover for me, I think it cost about $100 all in.

Any local upholstery supply place can do it for you. The old CVT mattress was awful but not I slept like a baby in it.

Best Matt

Best Mattress recommendation for you.

I don't know of any such companies, but I do know of the best dealers, hovementcomcategorymattresses can probably cut you something using your old one as a pattern. I bought mine from them last year and I'm totally happy with their mattresses. You don't have to worry about your location nor have any doubt over quality. I'm not telling you this because I'm gonna earn a penny from them, nope. Try them and let us hear of your experience.

Cheers!

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
A mattress is no easy thing to decide on. You want it light as they tend to be one of the heaviest component in the tent's construction. You also want it comfortable, which tends to make them heavy. Polyurethane foam is the norm forr most roof tent mattresses but a lot of folks aren't too pleased with them, have allergies or whatever. A good polyurethane mattress is rather expensive. Latex foam is much more comfortable but is heavier and even more expensive. Shipping a mattress is almost as much as shipping a whole tent.

I have a couple suggestions. If your mattress is tolerable, then make it better by putting on a topper that suits your needs. You can get anything from nice soft foam to feather depending on the conditions. You can get them just about anywhere and cut and modify them for your tent. If you are bottoming out then you might want to get an anti condensation mat or little Frolis, a boxspring like thing they use on boats. These adds a little cushion like a box spring and the airflow helps keep the mattress fresh and dry. I would stay away from "memory" foam if you are going out into challenging conditions. Their cushiness is temperature dependent. They get hard as a brick in the cold and I find them really hot in warm weather. IKEA seems to have a nice selection of different thin mattresses and toppers, might be a good place to start. They also have latex so you can see what that is all about. They are good if you have allergies.

A mattress is one place where roof tent manufacturers can save some serious money and weight. A good light mattress is expensive and most folks look at the tent and not the mattress so the manufacturer can make your tent much less expensive and seem as good, for awhile ......

Chili

Explorer
my wife & I looked into a new mattress for our RTT, gel memory foam came to our minds, she came across this on the internet & it's a good read with lots to think about https://www.sleepjunkie.org/are-memory-foam-mattresses-safe/
we decided to purchase a Thermarest pad, their Basecamp model and lay it over the existing mattress. Think about this, RTT's are a confined space too.

One other consideration for memory foam or gel is that they get really firm, like rock hard, when it's cold out.. IMO NoahGenda did it right and that is the same I will likely do as I'm also a side sleeper and my hip hits bottom as is. Right now I'm just using a self inflating pad only partially inflated, on top of the tent mattress. My wife doesn't need it.. but she sleeps on top of a sleeping bag too, so I think that helps distribute the weight but then it's not as soft.

338Lapua

Do you guys cut your memory foam mattresses or do you just fold them in like the ones that come in the RTT?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles