Is the GX built on a similar 25 yr platform as the LX and Land Cruiser?

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
How long does Toyota make parts for the land cruiser vs other models? For example, can you order and get any OEM parts for 1991 today (25 yrs +1)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
Like the title says, I am curious if the GX is built on a similar 25 yr platform as the LX and Land Cruiser? I've read some posts about how the GX is more of a luxury version of the 4runner, but then other posts saying it might have the Prado bones like a Land Cruiser (e.g., stronger glass, more robust components used, etc.).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Interested to hear folks' opinions :)

The GX is built on the LC Prado platform same as the 4Runner. It's basically the luxury version of the 4Runner (with an optional v8) the same way the LX is the luxury version of the LC 200

degreesix

The GX is built on the LC Prado platform same as the 4Runner. It's basically the luxury version of the 4Runner (with an optional v8) the same way the LX is the luxury version of the LC 200

I picked up an 08’ GX 470 a couple years ago. I looked at a bunch of V8 4 runners but they had all been used as work trucks and were not in great shape as a result. Mechanically fine just beat up. I found plenty of GX trucks in great shape mechanically and physically. Ended up buying one with 140k on it that was a family vacation vehicle. Soccer mom drive it around town and the family did long road trips during the summers. All services done on schedule at the dealership with online records. It’s a much more comfortable vehicle has plenty of pep and is great in the snow heading up to the mountain fully loaded with snowboarders and our gear.

I’ve never done the trails thing but I know there are some local groups and I’ve been thinking about Getting involved with one.

The only complaint is the side swing door. I’d prefer the over head. The side swing is very convenient in many situations. The down side is that it requires more clearance which isn’t always available in a crowded parking lot. If you have a long load you can’t leave the back door open like you can with a lift style. Not that that situation happens very often. But it has happened to me.

RND1

Observer
This one looks to be local to you, is triple locked and already built: https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/1996-toyota-landcruiser-w/6289086119.html

I looked at a lot of 80's and 100's when I was searching 5 years ago. Being in New England, rust became the primary decision factor. Most of the 80's were too far gone. Many of the 100's were too. Finally found my 100 which spent the majority of its life in CA and only a couple of years in RI so the underside was far better than most I looked at so I pulled the trigger and haven't looked back. It's been my favorite vehicle so far. Removed the running boards, small lift, spacers and BFG K02's and it's surprisingly capable as it sits. Joined 100sinthehills this year out in the San Juans and did all the high passes in basically a stock truck and it was awesome.

I'm sure the GX is also a great platform for overlanding. On the 100 series with AHC, that can be problematic as these systems age. Don't know if the GX also has AHC? To me the sweet spot is the '03 - '07 LC without AHC (optional on '06-'07).

What modifications are you planning for the vehicle you buy? This may play a role in your decision. Dissent Offroad is a big 100 series supporter and is developing a line of slimmed down aluminum bumpers, sliders, roof rack etc. I don't know that I'll ever go the route of bumpers with mine, but if I did I would go this route to save weight.

Happycoop

Observer
This one looks to be local to you, is triple locked and already built: https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/1996-toyota-landcruiser-w/6289086119.html

I looked at a lot of 80's and 100's when I was searching 5 years ago. Being in New England, rust became the primary decision factor. Most of the 80's were too far gone. Many of the 100's were too. Finally found my 100 which spent the majority of its life in CA and only a couple of years in RI so the underside was far better than most I looked at so I pulled the trigger and haven't looked back. It's been my favorite vehicle so far. Removed the running boards, small lift, spacers and BFG K02's and it's surprisingly capable as it sits. Joined 100sinthehills this year out in the San Juans and did all the high passes in basically a stock truck and it was awesome.

I'm sure the GX is also a great platform for overlanding. On the 100 series with AHC, that can be problematic as these systems age. Don't know if the GX also has AHC? To me the sweet spot is the '03 - '07 LC without AHC (optional on '06-'07).

What modifications are you planning for the vehicle you buy? This may play a role in your decision. Dissent Offroad is a big 100 series supporter and is developing a line of slimmed down aluminum bumpers, sliders, roof rack etc. I don't know that I'll ever go the route of bumpers with mine, but if I did I would go this route to save weight.

RND1 ... that link went to a deleted post (though I do scour the listings daily so I may have already seen it). Your 100 build is very similar to my thoughts...I've done the monster lift and 44's and don't have a desire to go that route again. I'm looking for a vehicle that can handle long road trips, but still make it to the back country for camping/biking trips. My Cayenne was a very close fit, but the maintenance costs kept it from being the right rig. Mods will depend on the vehicle, but at most would be 3" lift and no larger than 35s...on the Cayenne I shoved some 32s under it and called it done. I generally try to spend a couple short trips with a new rig before I settle on what it needs in order to do what I want.

txmxer

After driving nothing but tacomas, Ive been driving a stock gx470 and I have to say I love it. The stock ride is smooth, transmission smooth as butter, motor is great. Finding a clean 4runner with same options (4x4, locking diff, etc) for a decent price and clean was near impossible. I lucky out and mine only has 30,000 miles on it. You can still find them low mileage. Alas I got bored and went a different route with a different build because my needs changed so Im about to put it up for sale.

I don't have a land cruiser to compare to but just my two cents. Plus the aftermarket for them is growing like crazy and the adaptability of fj/4runner parts is nice.

RoyJ

Adventurer
The 25yr thing is pretty entertaining surly coined by a maketing wizard. The only thing that really seems to always bubble to the surface is load carrying ability. The 4runner or GX arent large vehicles so if your dreaming of 1000lbs of tires, skid plates, winches, bumpers, fridge, drawers and then thinking passengers beyond one or two... Then you start to see why load carrying ability seems to bubble to the top, though often only after $$$$ spent and time etc.

To be fair, if you want to stick to OEM GVWRs, then a 100 may not be much better depending on the trim. My bone stock LX470 had 1350 lbs payload left with just LT tires. No armor, no RTT, no 3rd row seats.

I bet 95% of 100 series overlanders are over GVWR.

Not that I agree on following GVWRs to the decimal - they're more for warranty purposes. I DO agree on following GAWRs and tire load ratings, whichever is lower.

zimm

Expedition Leader
id love to know who spread this 25 year platform rumor. that would also mean all oem parts would be available in production 25 years after the last one rolled off the assembly line.

RND1

Observer
RND1 ... that link went to a deleted post (though I do scour the listings daily so I may have already seen it). Your 100 build is very similar to my thoughts...I've done the monster lift and 44's and don't have a desire to go that route again. I'm looking for a vehicle that can handle long road trips, but still make it to the back country for camping/biking trips. My Cayenne was a very close fit, but the maintenance costs kept it from being the right rig. Mods will depend on the vehicle, but at most would be 3" lift and no larger than 35s...on the Cayenne I shoved some 32s under it and called it done. I generally try to spend a couple short trips with a new rig before I settle on what it needs in order to do what I want.

Oh sorry about that - guess my timing was bad and it sold. It was a '96 LC w diff lock, lift, bumpers, snorkel, rack, redone leathers, spacers and looked like 35 in AT or MT's not sure. 119K miles and guy was asking $14,9K. It was painted all over in rhino liner which is generally not my thing, but it actually looked good on that rig. Basically if this sort of vehicle checked out and the owner bought quality mods, that's a lot of truck for under $15K. Then again, part of the fun is building it yourself just the way you want it.

While I think the GX would be fine for your needs, that sideways opening rear door would drive me nuts especially since it opens to the curb which is the direction one generally wants to go in (of course in Japan it opens to the street, which works a little better). I love the split rear door on the LC - it's my kids favorite seat once we enter the campground and it comes in handy at the drive-in movies too. Also a great platform to work on prepping dinner. Can't say enough good things about my 100.

Not sure what your budget is, but there's a guy on the MUD forums that restores 100's and just picked up an '06 with 58K miles on it. He'll prob be asking $30K for it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/scored-2006lc-w-58k-omg-clean.1011385/

Last edited:

Happycoop

Observer
Oh sorry about that - guess my timing was bad and it sold. It was a '96 LC w diff lock, lift, bumpers, snorkel, rack, redone leathers, spacers and looked like 35 in AT or MT's not sure. 119K miles and guy was asking $14,9K. It was painted all over in rhino liner which is generally not my thing, but it actually looked good on that rig. Basically if this sort of vehicle checked out and the owner bought quality mods, that's a lot of truck for under $15K. Then again, part of the fun is building it yourself just the way you want it.

While I think the GX would be fine for your needs, that sideways opening rear door would drive me nuts especially since it opens to the curb which is the direction one generally wants to go in (of course in Japan it opens to the street, which works a little better). I love the split rear door on the LC - it's my kids favorite seat once we enter the campground and it comes in handy at the drive-in movies too. Also a great platform to work on prepping dinner. Can't say enough good things about my 100.

Not sure what your budget is, but there's a guy on the MUD forums that restores 100's and just picked up an '06 with 58K miles on it. He'll prob be asking $30K for it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/scored-2006lc-w-58k-omg-clean.1011385/

I know which one you were talking about now...it's a beige color rhino liner or similar. The old ad no longer works because he just dropped the price to $12,900. At the new price I might drive up and take a look...I like it other than the bedliner paint (nothing against the concept, but I don't much care for the color he chose). It's been on the market for a long time, so I assume it has some other issues, or perhaps it just means now is the time for bargaining on it. Have to see how hard it is to change the color of rhino liner, or if it's even possible.

I just drove a 2011 LX570 with 39k on it and the dealer is asking $39k, but said they'd sell for $32k. Drove amazing (and those A/C seats are awesome in Florida!), but to be honest, I just really prefer the older body styles.

My budget is somewhat flexible, but I'll be financing the vehicle, which means it's looking more and more like I have to get a newer rig in order to qualify. I had hoped to find something between $10-15k, but since I'd rather spend my $$ on mods than maintenance, it's looking like I need to bump that to $15-20k. I'm looking at Lightstream and the equivalent as they'll do classic car financing which might allow me to go above book value (since it's almost impossible to find a decent cruiser selling at what the bank considers book value).

SnoViking

Adventurer
I have a 2010 GX. I'm loving it so far. More than capable to meet my needs and plenty comfy. All the major things I wanted to do with it I sourced from the 5th gen 4Runner setups.

My GX Page

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94