Is the GX built on a similar 25 yr platform as the LX and Land Cruiser?

Lc80series

Owned an 86 4Runner, two FJ60s, a 93 FZJ80, a 99 UZJ100, and now an 04 GX470. All great vehicles! Comparing the 100 and the GX is tough because got the 100 with high miles (around 180K) while the GX had around 85k but was meticulously maintained when purchased. My Dad sold his Tundra and bought my 100 so it’s still in the family. While I’m confident in both from a reliability standpoint, the 100 feels sluggish but stable while the GX delivers a much sportier drive. It’s decently quick off the line and has some passing power. Don’t get me wrong, the 100 is rock solid and is enjoyable to drive as well because you’re in a tank. Both very well built but the 100 is heavy duty so it feels safer. Off-road they both do well but, again, the 100 is more substantial so I tend to be more mindful when picking lines in the GX and always have it in the back of my mind that various components, while tough, aren’t quite as stout as in the 100. The Land Cruiser Prado is the light duty LC, right? Never had anything break on it though and, even though it’s now almost 14 years old, still performs almost like new. My GX has 33s, OME suspension, sliders, and skid plates. In stock form, the GX is limited by low hanging skids, steps, and bumpers but now I can tackle some fairly difficult trails after moderately building it. If I had to choose, I’d say find a nice 100 but a GX isn’t a bad choice either.

I listened to a podcast (for the life of me I can't recall the name) where a bunch of mechanics talked about the domestic vs foreign (specifically Japanese) vehicles in terms of reliability.

The general consensus was that at one time, Japanese cars were far more reliable and better built than the average American car, but that the difference had mostly gone away in recent years. They did note, and this was purely anecdotal on their part, that owners of Japanese vehicles (especially 4x4's) tended to be more attached their vehicles and thus took better care of them when compared to the average joe who owned a domestic SUV or pickup.

I could see this. I had a 1996 K1500 Chevy truck that had 230K+ on it when i sold it and all i had ever done was change the fuel pump, alternator, and ac compressor as far as repairs and did the normal maintenance according to the manual. I did SAS this truck as well, but that was just for S&G's. GMT400 trucks are awesomely reliable trucks. Lack of a fully boxed frame the full length of the truck is the biggest weakness. I would say torsion bars are the second biggest weakness, but 100's have those as well.

Happycoop

Observer
... While I'm confident in both from a reliability standpoint, the 100 feels sluggish but stable while the GX delivers a much sportier drive. It's decently quick off the line and has some passing power.

Couldn't agree more based on the vehicles I've been test driving. In fact, I just bought a 2007 GX470 and I'm flying up tomorrow morning to pick it up and drive her home. Turned down two different 100's with <100k at less than $10k because I just never got the feel from them that I was looking for. I fully realize a vehicle purchase is a very personal thing, and in this case the GX470 was the best fit for my uses at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne