Is the GX built on a similar 25 yr platform as the LX and Land Cruiser?

Happycoop

Observer
Like the title says, I am curious if the GX is built on a similar 25 yr platform as the LX and Land Cruiser? I've read some posts about how the GX is more of a luxury version of the 4runner, but then other posts saying it might have the Prado bones like a Land Cruiser (e.g., stronger glass, more robust components used, etc.).

Can anyone shed some light on this? I've been looking for an 80/100 series, but they all seem to be so high mileage and/or beat to crap. While I understand they will run for a long time, with the amount of $$ I plan to invest to make it the expo rig I want, I can't see the logic in putting that into a rig that's near its end of life. Am I better off getting a 100k mile GX in amazing condition, or getting an 80 or 100 that's 10-15 years older with 175k on it and lots of bumps and bruises?

Interested to hear folks' opinions :)

NCFJ

Adventurer
There are a lot of things that factor into the choice. What you need/want and what you think you need/want are many times, two different things. What remains somewhat the same is the amount of money you plan on putting into any one rig. Take that number and start looking at trucks. If you buy something older will it fill your wants/needs and will the savings be enough to baseline it and make upgrades that you want.

I do a good business building essentially new 60/62 series with completely rebuilt underpinnings and a repower. Customers can afford a new model, they just do not want one. Same applies to the 80/100 series. How much left in your budget after purchase to build what you want? Do your homework, check out pricing and availability of things like bumpers etc. You might find the up charge on items like that can burn up a lot of budget if you are not careful.

Me, I want a 62 body on a 80 roller with either a 5.3L or a 6.2L. My wife wants a 55 chopped, sectioned 2WD with Mustang II front suspension and Ford 9" with a 4 link out back. My buddy Jerry gave her the idea. So your options are much easier :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 25yr thing is pretty entertaining surly coined by a maketing wizard. The only thing that really seems to always bubble to the surface is load carrying ability. The 4runner or GX arent large vehicles so if your dreaming of 1000lbs of tires, skid plates, winches, bumpers, fridge, drawers and then thinking passengers beyond one or two... Then you start to see why load carrying ability seems to bubble to the top, though often only after $$$$ spent and time etc.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
LCs or any decent vehicle are easily 25yr vehicles with the right driver and low salt environment. Figure out what your weights and interests are, then target vehicles that fit that.

Happycoop

Observer
That's a good point. I generally have at most one passenger (and our two dogs), and we're small people...but not midgets! Seriously though, I'm 5'4" so even a moderately sized vehicle offers me a good deal of space compared to my friends that are over 6' tall. I do a lot of backpacking, so my gear is very compact and lightweight. I've been using a Porsche Cayenne as my rig, but finally got fed up with the maintenance costs associated with it (and believe it or not, the Pepper only had 40k on her when I sold it). Hoping I can build up a Toyota/Lexus and (after the initial prep maintenance) not have to spend quite as much time and money on keeping it running.

Chiz45

I just picked up an '08 in July, with 118k on it. These were first introduced in '03 (end of '02?) so there are models out there with over half of your suggested service life. Another consideration is your mechanical ability (to save labor costs) or your access to quality mechanic(s) to address any issues. One thing i've noticed is that many of the ones out there have their entire service history at a Lexus dealership, and some were even Lexus certified (up to 100k), so much of the service history can be verified once the VIN is registered at Lexus.com.

Happycoop

Observer
Chiz45,

Any first impressions of the GX in comparison to your previous 96 LC and 06 LX? Good point on the VIN service check at Lexus.com :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I had a J80 for 8 yrs. I looked at the GX some while looking for a more modern replacement. The LC is wide like nearly full size wide, which translated to being dramatically better on the high speed tarmac, narrow goat trails favor the GX far better. My old 4runner was basically the same width as the GX. I got rid of the 4runner mainly due to two blown head gaskets and rebuilds but I hated it on the highway after barely dodging a accident in progress. The LC is light years more stable in that regard. Far better 2nd row seat for adults regarding comfort and has a higher load capacity.

I would personally go V8 4Runner over the GX for one main reason, you get a standard hatch vs the backwards opening side gate. However the Lexus plate typically allows you to find better maintained and unmolested used cars vs the Toyota name plate. Assuming the GX is your main interest.

I replaced the LC with a gen 1 Sequoia, basically just a big 4runner only with the width and stability of the LC.

Chiz45

Chiz45,

Any first impressions of the GX in comparison to your previous 96 LC and 06 LX? Good point on the VIN service check at Lexus.com :)

I think I have a lead foot, as I wasn't too happy with the power in the 96 or even the 06. I'm guessing the weight difference between the LX and the GX gives my buttdyno a better driving experience in the GX over the LX. The GX feels more peppy. The only immediate complaint I have about the GX is as calicamper said, the swing door, but my 5'2" wife doesn't mind at all. She usually has to tip toe to close the rear door on the 4Runner.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think I have a lead foot, as I wasn't too happy with the power in the 96 or even the 06. I'm guessing the weight difference between the LX and the GX gives my buttdyno a better driving experience in the GX over the LX. The GX feels more peppy. The only immediate complaint I have about the GX is as calicamper said, the swing door, but my 5'2" wife doesn't mind at all. She usually has to tip toe to close the rear door on the 4Runner.
The power delivery thing is something I noticed as well. The LX has a mild throttle response actually very mild after having the Sequoia with the 4.7. The GX is smaller lighter but still has a pretty gental tune persay. The Sequoia and the Tundra running the same V8 interestingly got a pretty healthy dose of agressive tuning, probably so they could compete in the butt dyno with Suburbans and other pickups.
The Sequoia 4.7 is dramatically different in how its tuned, its ready to burn rubber at every stop light, lol. Very different tune for sure. No doubt the GX got de tuned for stability, the LC/LX probably got lowered HP tuning to increase durability in extreme use stuff and or feel/ appear more Luxury ride like etc.

The Sequoia and Tundras got the angry Soccer mom stop light sprinter tune.

Happycoop

Observer
Thanks for the feedback...I'm headed out to drive a few different models tomorrow so hopefully that will help steer me in the right direction. I drove a 100 series today, but that thing felt like I was piloting a freakin pontoon boat (maybe it was just that particular one).

Upland80

Adventurer
Oooohh...Comparo thread!

GX460 192″ L x 74″ W x 74″ H

FZJ80 188″ L x 76″ W x 73″ H

If you're actually going to take the truck into the bush, I'd go with a clean 80. Not bad on tight trails IMO, but the streets of Pennsylvania are oddly concerning on this forum...
DSC_3435.jpg

Dalko in 3...2....

Last edited:

Happycoop

Observer
Oooohh...Comparo thread!

GX460 192″ L x 74″ W x 74″ H

FZJ80 188″ L x 76″ W x 73″ H

If you're actually going to take the truck into the bush, I'd go with a clean 80. Not bad on tight trails IMO, but the streets of Pennsylvania are oddly concerning on this forum...
View attachment 418892

Dalko in 3...2....

I do love the 80 (more so than the 100 series), but finding a clean, even somewhat lower mileage, 80 compared to finding a clean low mileage GX...there's just no comparison. For the same $$, I can get a soccer mom (i.e., never been over anything more than a curb) 03-07 GX470 with 100k or I can get an 80 series with 175-200k that's been used and abused. The few clean 80's I've seen are usually close to $20k...which I'd have to pay cash for since no bank would lend me that amount on that old/high mileage of a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles