Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: synthetics

Only complaint I've heard from Longhaul truck guys it the synthetic doesn't like humidity or any form of moisture ingress, worse than mineral oil. So while it is smoother running it isn't longer lasting in those conditions and is far more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by bj70_guy View Post
    Not a Japanese heavy truck (at least not by you guys' standards, LOL!) but FWIW I've used redline MT-90 in my BJ74 Land Cruiser's 5 speed tranny (it specs a GL-4) and yes it made a very noticeable difference in shifting. I used it my my BJ70 before it (same H55F trans) and it made a real difference in shifting it too.
    It's the only synthetic I use in that truck, the diffs and t-case get cheap Wally World Supertech 80-90 and get changed often.

Oh, and I use Redline Shockproof Heavy (the stuff that looks like Pepto Bismol) in my old harley shovelhead transmission, that stuff is awesome!
    Thanks, That was my experience too, helped smooth out the shifting. I may just go ahead and put some in if it is compatible with my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRogers View Post
    Only complaint I've heard from Longhaul truck guys it the synthetic doesn't like humidity or any form of moisture ingress, worse than mineral oil. So while it is smoother running it isn't longer lasting in those conditions and is far more expensive.
    Was that in the transmission or engine?

Trans diffs etc it was one of the oil reps that told me after asking about differences, I have asked several owner drivers since and they agreed

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRogers View Post
    Trans diffs etc it was one of the oil reps that told me after asking about differences, I have asked several owner drivers since and they agreed
    Interesting, thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12