Keeping Water Tanks from Freezing

Routeman

I am looking for some wisdom and guidance from the group.

I have a off road trailer (Patriot Camper X1) that has two water tanks, each one is 18.5gal (70L). Being in the high country of Colorado, and wanting to use my trailer all year round, I am a bit concerned about water freezing in the tanks during my winter (and late fall) camping. I really don't want to deal with tanks that froze up and cracked. I am also going to have to figure out how to keep the water supply lines from the tanks from freezing also.

I have two 120AH AGM batteries in the trailer that power lights, water pump, fridge, etc. Ideally I would like the solution to be able to utilize these existing batteries and while I know that it will drain the batteries faster, if they could power the 'heaters' for 8-12hrs that would be great.

What have some of you done to address this issue? Any lessons learned? or words of wisdom? What am I not considering?

Thanks for the help!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Without some hard data, its really hard to dictate just how much effort you will need to put into it to keep the water system happy.

That said, I would worry less about the tanks, and much more about the lines to and from the tanks.
Those will freeze up much sooner than the tanks.

Also, the more water you have int he tank, the less likely for it to actually freeze.

Mass is your friend when it comes to temperature swings.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I am looking for some wisdom and guidance from the group.

I have a off road trailer (Patriot Camper X1) that has two water tanks, each one is 18.5gal (70L). Being in the high country of Colorado, and wanting to use my trailer all year round, I am a bit concerned about water freezing in the tanks during my winter (and late fall) camping. I really don't want to deal with tanks that froze up and cracked. I am also going to have to figure out how to keep the water supply lines from the tanks from freezing also.

I have two 120AH AGM batteries in the trailer that power lights, water pump, fridge, etc. Ideally I would like the solution to be able to utilize these existing batteries and while I know that it will drain the batteries faster, if they could power the 'heaters' for 8-12hrs that would be great.

What have some of you done to address this issue? Any lessons learned? or words of wisdom? What am I not considering?

Thanks for the help!
That is a really nice trailer! But, being that it was designed and built "down under", and looking at the water fittings that are exposed on the website, without some serious re-design, you're going to be limited to above freezing camping. I agree with Kenny that your lines are the real danger when temps dip to freezing & below. The way that RVs protect their water systems is enclosing lines & tanks and pumping heat from the the RV's heating system in that compartment. My Lance slide in camper is like that. You might have some luck with heat tape that is used in trailer parks and where water lines are exposed. But, I believe that they're powered by 120v source, so you'll at least need an inverter, but I'm thinking you'll suck all your batterys' reserve over night. Also, the 350 watt inverter that's built in to the trailer, to me, is on the small size for any heater type of accessories.

Last edited:

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Kimberley put a 12 volt membrane heater across the bottom of my main water tank. Never tested it for freezing protection, but it certainly should be helpful/

Routeman

Kenny -

You have a good point on the lines freezing, and the mass would be your friend until you started using the water and then you will began to loose mass.

This does make me wonder; if I can keep water circulating through the lines, (and back into the tank) that could help prevent freezing. I would have to see how fast the pump drains the batteries. I have never had to run it longer than a couple of minutes.

Tom -
It is a fantastic trailer. It is everything I was hoping for and more. I am not looking to camp in sub zero temps, but it's not uncommon for it to hit 10*F out when your hunting.

Dutch -
I have been looking at the 12 volt membrane's - I just have been wrestling with if they will help or not, how much power to they really draw and it seems like I will still have problems with my actual water lines.

Last edited:

SoCal Tom

Explorer
With my Teardrop I've run the water lines through the cabin as best I could. A couple of ideas you might consider...
1) Set up your pump with a recirculation loop and a timer. When it gets cold boil some water ( or use a water heater to warm the water ) and add it to the tank and then the timer would recirculate the water through the lines as you sleep. You could even put in a sensor at the coldest area so that when it dropped to near freezing it would start recirculating.
2) Set up your system with valves and drains so you can drain the water lines when its going to be freezing, and install some sort of 12V heater under the tank. If the water freezes you can warm it with the heater, then once its flowing again you can open the valves and fill your lines with water.
Tom

herm

Adventurer
Tom may have the best idea. install a drain at the lowest point and a valve to close off the tank. drain the lines into a bucket before bed and dump the water back in the tank, then you only have to keep the tank from freezing and this will be much easier than the lines.

we live in Lafayette CO, and our chickens have a 2 gal. metal water can that is covered with 2 layers of foam/mylar backed pipe tape. 7 watts of heat tape keeps it liquid to about 15 degrees, and below that we need to have the 7 watts ( 3 foot heat tape) plus a 12 watt 6 foot heat tape wrapped around the base where the water is exposed to keep it drinkable by the chickens. The 3 foot heating element part is submersed in the water, plug and thermostat are outside. ( i know you are not supposed to do this). No fried chickens yet.

this looks promising... i may actually see if this would work for the chickens with some solar i have laying around. if you could heat it up enough during the day, it would stay above freezing during the night, and the chickens are sleeping anyway. http://mwands.com/store/adjustable-water-heating-element

Last edited:

oneenv

On another note how's the trailer been treating you other than potentially frozen lines? We've got a deposit on one however that soft floor is questionable. Hard-side teardrop might be the ticket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94