Please Help Identify 4x4 builder 1995 Traumahawk Tomahawk 4x4 minimod

Deshet

Adventurer
Looking for details on who built my 4x4 van/ambulance.

It isn't a Quigley. It sits taller than both of my Quigleys. It is a leaf Spring Conversion. I think it may a Salem Kroger.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Deshet

Adventurer
I don't have it home yet but here are some pictures of the conversion.

Single rear wheel 4x4 mini mod 7.3

IMG_0524.jpgIMG_0525.jpgIMG_0527.JPGIMG_0523.jpgIMG_0522.jpg

Deshet

Adventurer
The ambulance was sold new with conversion
Who was doing leaf spring conversions in 1995 in NC for AEV?

It looks different then my Quigley conversion...This is the first van that didn't come up yes or no on Quigley VIN lookup site. I called and they don't have records of doing it. No labels anywhere with the conversion builder.

The ford data plate on the door has a front and rear gvwr.

Hopefully I will figure it out.

Thanks

Thanks

eporter

Adventurer
Would the spelling of "ENGAGE LITE" mean it's from Canada, or is it just someone in NC with bad spelling?

Deshet

Adventurer
You may be on to something.

It is either marketing or foreign, but that should make tracking it down easier.

Tripp-Lite Inverters spells light incorrectly on purpose but I am hoping someone else can chime in saying this company spells it that way.

Thanks,

cjken

Explorer
Interesting.
The Hopi mini mod ambulance build that was on here a few years back was a pre 95 leaf spring 4x4 conversion.
Maybe check on that.
He did not like the ride and re did the springs another conversion parts.

What makes you say it is stouter than the quigley?
Hard to tell from the pictures how beefy it is.
Cool mystery find!!

Deshet

Adventurer
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...Build/page2?highlight=Hopi+mini+mod+ambulance

I looked through this post looking for the similarities but I am at a lost.
I have put about 800 miles on mine and it drives well
The front suspension needs some attention ball joints and other wear limits

My Van sits a lot higher then Quigley lifts and most I have seen in person have Coil Springs.

The garage foremen said they have a similar Ambulance and they rebuilt all of the bushings and front parts using parts from a 1972 Chevy 4x4. I don't know how accurate that information is but that is what I was told.

I talked to the ambulance company and they said that the conversion was done by a company that is out of business. They can't remember the name of the company but I assume the company was near Jefferson, NC. The staff at NWEV Jefferson, NC aren't very helpful to say the least. They don't have any build sheet information or documentation at all.

I will post up some more pictures shortly.

Thanks everyone

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Would the spelling of "ENGAGE LITE" mean it's from Canada, or is it just someone in NC with bad spelling?

Not the way we misspell things at this side... who knows about Quebec.

Interesting rig... be neat to know the history, but enjoy it all the same :D

Deshet

Adventurer
Interesting.
The Hopi mini mod ambulance build that was on here a few years back was a pre 95 leaf spring 4x4 conversion.
Maybe check on that.
He did not like the ride and re did the springs another conversion parts.

What makes you say it is stouter than the quigley?
Hard to tell from the pictures how beefy it is.
Cool mystery find!!

Thanks I reached out to the Hopi Mini Mod guy and he hasn't responded yet. I looked at his pictures and the conversions are similar but he has more leafs in the front. He has the Same "engage lite" vs light

I parked it next to two of my Quigleys and compared components. I also looked at Chris's Ujoint builds and it seems to be more in line with what he does. It has leaf springs versus Coils up front. It looks similar to my factory built F350 and F450. One Quigley has the 4 Link setups with Solid Axles more like a Jeep Wrangler and the other has leaf springs. The Quigley with leaf springs was a rust bucket but it drove excellent. At the end of the day either is suitable for what I am willing to do.

I found out that Salem Kroger (closed down) and possibly Advanced 4x4 did conversions back in 1995/1996. It would be nice if they had a vin Check feature like Quigley.

Thanks

Last edited:

Deshet

Adventurer
I am confident that mine is a Salem Kroger conversion. Luckily my suspension is tight. I am assuming that it is all similar year F350 parts although the county mentioned 1970 Chevy 4x4 truck bushings.

It did great in the foot of snow we had a few weeks ago. The hubs engaged like the were brand new.

I want to cut the bump stop out of the center of my leaf springs. My only complaint about the suspension is when I hit that metal bump stop.

Are there any issues with just grinding right through it. I will post some better pictures later today of the metal bump stop.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles