Question for JKers with a roof rack.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I think the AEV rack is the same design as Rhino Rack (may actually be made by Rhino Rack). I use the Kargo Master steps and a fixed ladder that is made by Maximus-3. Rhino Rack produces this roof rack for them. Might not be a perfect fit on an AEV rack, and the ladder requires a permanent bracket, but it looks great and is incredibly sturdy.

y4mV49jS9wv2TfTxiLoWv_x0pSXNG8V7_vaCs6vEVhLdsnIA8xC6a3OEEAt1JRuC62c6znFR17NFTUyhucErSgkYR1jMjElNmF26eMgqIN5F9vpfChEXtGKZArwP4Or88Z_NhHF8OZi-vgnaYVzwPasG8_xUAh-1lcQtC5Vppr7F9y_h6qT-kw1Xz20OP7aLtBBw9Eg8u7K073gaMVudImNmw

y4mrvIvZNRdS5zceouVL0Qk7kCOXFKnGd7S_2mzya6OW9EE0GjT_3YKA1qSdIqH-O1J8UTKsKdVoZgRuxIJxYv5SJtx6FgIMfyPlh0au5qIbzm3MCIttoIibouef1-0_effLLruLgAcA-dZxCUEKuk6pn1y9tfh2KiwdVd8f7UYs413dGUAwItNkFM-yXf0Jn1b8DoiMLeUyaPBSEPPbwopUQ
Yes, the AEV rack is a rhino rack. I was disappointed to learn the Rhino Rack is made in China. Anyways, someone on the AEV forum already tried using the Maximus-3 ladder but the base for the AEV rack is taller so the ladder will not line up.

As far as install I had Dark Horse Customs in Bozeman, Montana install it. I couldn't even pay friends to help with the install. It was suppose to be a four hour job but ended up pretty much taking a whole day.

Terex

Adventurer
We have a Little Giant folding two-step ladder. It's super stabile and mostly used for access in and out of our VMI Offroad trailer. It comes in handy for a multitude of tasks, and the VMI guys quit laughing at it after we used it to set up all kinds of stuff for their exhibit at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff a couple of years ago - the one with all the snow. When using the Frontrunner rack on our Rubicon, I use for things I can't reach (6' tall).

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Was able to install the Maxtrax today by standing on the receiver hitch and stepping inside the door opening.

Attachments

• Maxtrax.jpg
    Maxtrax.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 39

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Now I am cranky, on the drive home from the shop the satellite radio kept cutting out. I figured that must be the way it is, then I spot this in my back seat.

Attachments

• Relocation bracket.jpg
    Relocation bracket.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 36

MattJ

Adventurer
Now I am cranky, on the drive home from the shop the satellite radio kept cutting out. I figured that must be the way it is, then I spot this in my back seat.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the crew I hired to install my Maximus-3 rack DID use the relocation bracket and the satellite reception is still terrible if there is a single tree within 500 feet of my Jeep. At least they told me they DID use the bracket . . .

MattJ

Adventurer
My Sirius reception was garbage before I ever put my rack on.

Yep. Vinyl sounds better than mp3s, FM sounds better than Sirius, and the fresh coffee brewed by Benjamin Franklin 250 years ago tasted better than freeze-dried insta-serve Keurig packs.

What were we talking about again? Roof racks?

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Luckily, a friend came over and helped me take the rack and top back off and on. The actual moving of the receiver from the B pillar to the A pillar wasn't that bad.

spagthorpe

Observer
They are pretty slick. They look a little funky, but the utility is great. For my rack, stepping on that, and my rear tire is perfect. My sliders are an easy step up as well. I actually ordered two sets, to also put them on the front doors, but it's forward enough of my rack where I really don't have a huge need for them. I probably need to throw them in the classifieds.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I plan to eventually get the kargomaster hinge step but like everyone else, the tires, bumper and sliders. I still have factory sliders and one time i got caught in the rain. Feet slipped underneath me ended up hanging on the side of jeep, i thought it was funny, just my pride hurt. So yeah i need that kargomaster step.

Two things about the Kargo Master steps that I'm not too fond of - the narrowness of the steps, and the fact that they interfere with opening the front door when they're extended and the rear door is opened:

KargoMasterSteps2_zpsu7uuivsk.jpg

The one's I'm using are preproduction prototypes that are expected to be on the market later this year; they've got wider steps and don't interfere with the front door.

HingeStep3_zpsgghje3yx.jpg

HingeStep2_zpsu5ih5fwe.jpg

They also bolt up to the HD tailgate hinges:

StepOnTailgateHinge1_zpsexqqkg2q.jpg

StepOnTailgateHinge2_zpsezjtt2rk.jpg

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I am not a huge fan of the overall look on the Kargo Master steps. Yours are more low profile, I like that. I'll be interested to see what the price point is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles