Question for JKers with a roof rack.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I am not a huge fan of the overall look on the Kargo Master steps. Yours are more low profile, I like that. I'll be interested to see what the price point is.

I don't think they'll be too expensive - the step cost me $10.99 retail so I'd imagine the company can buy it cheaper wholesale, plus two simple laser-cut pieces of metal plate and 4 bolts, 6 washers and two nuts.

kdeleon

Observer
I like those steps i imagine you can mount it in the upper hinge too? I need them to get better access to zipping up my tent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like those steps i imagine you can mount it in the upper hinge too? I need them to get better access to zipping up my tent.

Yes. I only mounted one to the lower hinge because I'm 6'6" and that's all I need, but you can mount them to the upper hinges as well so you could step on the lower one first and then step up to the upper one. And they'll mount to both tailgate hinges although I only mounted one to the top tailgate hinge because I use the bumper as a first step.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Yes. I only mounted one to the lower hinge because I'm 6'6" and that's all I need, but you can mount them to the upper hinges as well so you could step on the lower one first and then step up to the upper one. And they'll mount to both tailgate hinges although I only mounted one to the top tailgate hinge because I use the bumper as a first step.

Think they would work with factory tailgate hinges?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For things that I regularly carry on the rack - a spare tire, Rubican fuel/water containers and sand ladders, I've made up specific mounting hardware. For occasional cargo, I use ratchet straps. I'm also planning to make up ammo can mounting hardware as well to make those easier to secure.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Two things about the Kargo Master steps that I'm not too fond of - the narrowness of the steps, and the fact that they interfere with opening the front door when they're extended and the rear door is opened:

KargoMasterSteps2_zpsu7uuivsk.jpg

The one's I'm using are preproduction prototypes that are expected to be on the market later this year; they've got wider steps and don't interfere with the front door.

HingeStep3_zpsgghje3yx.jpg

HingeStep2_zpsu5ih5fwe.jpg

They also bolt up to the HD tailgate hinges:

StepOnTailgateHinge1_zpsexqqkg2q.jpg

StepOnTailgateHinge2_zpsezjtt2rk.jpg

Once again, your innovation precedes you. Thanks for the heads up on the Kargo Master solution as that knocks it from the list. Yours rocks. You need to open a store.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Once again, your innovation precedes you. Thanks for the heads up on the Kargo Master solution as that knocks it from the list. Yours rocks. You need to open a store.

Thanks, but you'll never see me opening a store or selling anything. The fun for me is designing things, being in business to sell what I design would take all the fun out of it. But the good news is that companies often sign up for my designs, so even if I don't sell them many of the things I design will end up on the market. These hinge steps should be on the market before too long.

I've installed steps on both sides of the Jeep so I can use them on my upcoming RTT camping trip - I'm driving the Jeep out to the SEMA Show in Las Vegas in about two weeks and when the show ends I'm heading to Death Valley for a few days of offroad exploring and camping.

I'm in the process of outftting the Jeep for the trip now, in this photo I'm using one of the steps to access the Rubican containers I've got on the rack.

HingeStep4_zpsaz4iqzd8.jpg

Etoimos

Observer
Lately I've gotten really good at going from my Ace sliders to the rear tire to the Gobi ladder when I need to get on top in the back. For the front, I go from the sliders to the front tire and then to the hood hinge and up top.

I've looked at and thought about those hinge steps, but never bit the bullet on them. The ones @jscherb is working on look pretty good. I'll have to keep and eye out for when/where they come out.

rubicon91

Explorer
Lately I've gotten really good at going from my Ace sliders to the rear tire to the Gobi ladder when I need to get on top in the back. For the front, I go from the sliders to the front tire and then to the hood hinge and up top.

I've looked at and thought about those hinge steps, but never bit the bullet on them. The ones @jscherb is working on look pretty good. I'll have to keep and eye out for when/where they come out.
The pic Jeff posted is my Jeep with the KM hinge steps. Here is my opinion on them after over a year of having them between 2 Jeeps. The fronts are useless. I have them more for the lines of the jeep than anything. I actually have never opened the fronts for anything more than show. The rears I use all the time. I had them on my last Jeep with side steps and on my current jeep with zero side step. I absolutely love them on the rear doors. Use all the time while out camping. Now with that being said I would love a smaller foot print on the doors. I think Jeff's design would be awesome if it did come to production. And stepping on it with flip flops on well I don't think would hurt as bad :D. Either way I'm over 6 feet and love what the rear door steps allow me to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

HAFICON

Adventurer
Two things about the Kargo Master steps that I'm not too fond of - the narrowness of the steps, and the fact that they interfere with opening the front door when they're extended and the rear door is opened:

KargoMasterSteps2_zpsu7uuivsk.jpg

The one's I'm using are preproduction prototypes that are expected to be on the market later this year; they've got wider steps and don't interfere with the front door.

HingeStep3_zpsgghje3yx.jpg

HingeStep2_zpsu5ih5fwe.jpg

They also bolt up to the HD tailgate hinges:

StepOnTailgateHinge1_zpsexqqkg2q.jpg

StepOnTailgateHinge2_zpsezjtt2rk.jpg

That hard top is a thing of beauty... If I recall you built this correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne