Question for JKers with a roof rack.

greg.potter

Adventurer
Mostly I stand on top of one of the rear tires to get into the ski box in the winter. I have a Gobi Stealth, which I installed with the optional rear ladder. If I need to actually get on top of the rack I climb the ladder. My rack has a RTT on it all summer long and I simply use the RTT ladder to access the tent - nothng else goes up there.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I just use a 2-step aluminum ladder from the hardware store to deploy my RTT and secure gear. I've had hecklers before over it, but it works out pretty well, is portable and easy to use, and I believe much safer than balancing one toe on my gobi ladder. The ladder just goes on the rack with everything else. I stand on the drivers door jamb to secure the ladder.

bluehash

Adventurer
I have the Gobi Stealth. Depending where the load is on the rack, I use the rear ladder, rear wheels or the ACE rock sliders.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
ACE sliders (or another slide with a bar that protrudes of the side) work well. I end up walking from the sliders to the rear tire, and then will swing the rear gate open and walk on my AEV bumper. Works out for me now since my tent takes up the entirety of the rack when it's up there.

When I had the Gobi, I'd occasionally use the ladder to physically get up there, but it ended up acting as a cupholder at most campsites :D

LilPoppa

Adventurer
I just use a 2-step aluminum ladder from the hardware store to deploy my RTT and secure gear. I've had hecklers before over it, but it works out pretty well, is portable and easy to use, and I believe much safer than balancing one toe on my gobi ladder. The ladder just goes on the rack with everything else. I stand on the drivers door jamb to secure the ladder.

Me too. I bought the Frontrunner spare tire step with my rack and immediately returned it. It looked cool and everything, but wasn't near as functional as a $20 folding step-stool that I can move around.

kdeleon

Observer
I plan to eventually get the kargomaster hinge step but like everyone else, the tires, bumper and sliders. I still have factory sliders and one time i got caught in the rain. Feet slipped underneath me ended up hanging on the side of jeep, i thought it was funny, just my pride hurt. So yeah i need that kargomaster step.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kdeleon

Observer
I plan to eventually get the kargomaster hinge step but like everyone else, the tires, bumper and sliders. I still have factory sliders and one time i got caught in the rain. Feet slipped underneath me ended up hanging on the side of jeep, i thought it was funny, just my pride hurt. So yeah i need that kargomaster step.

Oh and dont do what my wife does, stand on the stock fenders.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Finally got the rack put on yesterday. I'm thinking I will go with a step ladder for now and later on the door steps.

Attachments

• Jeeproofrack.jpg
    Jeeproofrack.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 38

MattJ

Adventurer
I think the AEV rack is the same design as Rhino Rack (may actually be made by Rhino Rack). I use the Kargo Master steps and a fixed ladder that is made by Maximus-3. Rhino Rack produces this roof rack for them. Might not be a perfect fit on an AEV rack, and the ladder requires a permanent bracket, but it looks great and is incredibly sturdy.

y4mV49jS9wv2TfTxiLoWv_x0pSXNG8V7_vaCs6vEVhLdsnIA8xC6a3OEEAt1JRuC62c6znFR17NFTUyhucErSgkYR1jMjElNmF26eMgqIN5F9vpfChEXtGKZArwP4Or88Z_NhHF8OZi-vgnaYVzwPasG8_xUAh-1lcQtC5Vppr7F9y_h6qT-kw1Xz20OP7aLtBBw9Eg8u7K073gaMVudImNmw

y4mrvIvZNRdS5zceouVL0Qk7kCOXFKnGd7S_2mzya6OW9EE0GjT_3YKA1qSdIqH-O1J8UTKsKdVoZgRuxIJxYv5SJtx6FgIMfyPlh0au5qIbzm3MCIttoIibouef1-0_effLLruLgAcA-dZxCUEKuk6pn1y9tfh2KiwdVd8f7UYs413dGUAwItNkFM-yXf0Jn1b8DoiMLeUyaPBSEPPbwopUQ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke