2000 AEV TraumaHawk on a Freightliner FL-60 conversion

Coachgeo

Explorer
Correct, it is the interior bottom cabinet, and yes, the door will remain open when using the AC. I isolated that 2/3 of the cabinet that has the AC in it, and cut through the bottom of the truck for the heat exhaust from the AC to go outside. Hopefully that makes sense.
Yep makes since. Hot air rises though. Do you use a vent to angle hot air out and away orr??

pennersm

Observer
Yep makes since. Hot air rises though. Do you use a vent to angle hot air out and away orr??
I insulated the top of the inside and wired a small exhaust fan to draw out the heat. I may increase the fan size if it becomes an issue. Right now the fan is wired to a switch, but I will probably wire it to the ACs circuit so when the compressor engages the fan will come on.

patoz

Expedition Leader
That is an interesting A/C installation, and I like having the compressor cooling air come in and go out the bottom.

However, having that cabinet door open anytime the unit is running, looks like it's going to be in the way of the side entrance door when people are going in or out. So, I'm wondering why you didn't install a large vent, or two smaller ones in the cabinet door itself? That would allow the unit to operate with the door closed and out of the way.

RiderBloke

Observer
View attachment 436974
Here is a pic of it opened up, showing how the backrest supports the bed. Also pics of the swing out supports that will be on hinges.

View attachment 436975

View attachment 436976

That’s the best bed conversion I’ve seen. I have saved that for future reference. If the ambo box has a window on that side I’d still be inclined to do this instal. Good work. Hope it’s comfortable to sit on as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mattersnots

Adventurer
I insulated the top of the inside and wired a small exhaust fan to draw out the heat. I may increase the fan size if it becomes an issue. Right now the fan is wired to a switch, but I will probably wire it to the ACs circuit so when the compressor engages the fan will come on.
I always like to see progress on these things. Looking good.

pennersm

Observer
That is an interesting A/C installation, and I like having the compressor cooling air come in and go out the bottom.

However, having that cabinet door open anytime the unit is running, looks like it's going to be in the way of the side entrance door when people are going in or out. So, I'm wondering why you didn't install a large vent, or two smaller ones in the cabinet door itself? That would allow the unit to operate with the door closed and out of the way.
Pat, modifying the door is a good idea and a possibility, but was not really a concern for me as the plan is the back doors being the main entrance. But if that changes, your idea would be a good one.

pennersm

Observer
That’s the best bed conversion I’ve seen. I have saved that for future reference. If the ambo box has a window on that side I’d still be inclined to do this instal. Good work. Hope it’s comfortable to sit on as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you, I am happy with how it came out. I went with a 6" memory foam mattress so it is comfortable for sitting and sleeping. One more mod I need to make is foot rest for the kids while sitting on it as a bench as it is a little high.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I never considered the door situation, as I will be doing just the opposite. The side door will be my main entrance complete with electric steps, and the rear doors will be for cargo or in a 'tailgating' situation as in a parking lot or something.

pennersm

Observer
Well, I did not get around to installing the back up camera, but I did get my ladder cut, assembled, and installed...

amb70.jpeg

amb69.jpeg

scooter421

Adventurer
Looks great, I've been toying with the ladder idea since I bought my truck. For various reasons, I always find a way it won't work the way I want. Is yours removable? I'll rip mine off if I mount it on the side.

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
The ladder looks pretty cool, and it can be used as a hand rail for going in and out of the side door also.

pennersm

Observer
Looks great, I've been toying with the ladder idea since I bought my truck. For various reasons, I always find a way it won't work the way I want. Is yours removable? I'll rip mine off if I mount it on the side.

Scooter...

It is not removable, but it does not protrude further than the mirrors, so I should be able to keep it attached to the truck haha

scooter421

Adventurer
That's nice, I have to come up with something. The mirrors are an excellent marker. I was not even thinking about a grab point. That is excellent placement for the side entry door. You got me thinking again! Thanks for sharing.

Scooter...

Coachgeo

Explorer
Useless information worthy of ignoring or maybe let it inspire someone else doing an ambulance to camper conversion

Part cause of knowledge... (well more like lack of knowledge) about metal working and welding ( I can weld but not great) and part of... why be like everyone else...... and why not be a little vintage.... am thinking of going with wood for a access ladder and similar other items, along with a few other accents in wood to tie it all together. Like fiberglass boats when they first really became popular there was a bit of wood thrown in there and there as well to please the old timers who just felt boats should be wood. Will go Faux wood paneling or sticker on inside too. Then again I like wood. Home is going to be remodeled to have log cabin appeal.

Ok... useless info finished

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles